Putting in a CD changer cable?

Ed

Reaction score
Just got a CD changer cable to get ready for when I buy a phatnoise box.

Will it be easy to put in myself? (8L A3)
Anyone done this before? If so, any advise?

Not difficult just time consuming.
You'll need to remove the glovebox and most of the passenger side trim to do it properly, or you can just stuff it under most of the trim without removal.

AndyMac, How do you get the inside panel off, the one infront of the sub, next where the passenger would sit and below the window?
I can't find any screws to take it off and it doesnt seem like it's a clip on jobby!

It's purely held on with metal clips. You need to remove the door sill trim, remove the rear seat bottom, fold down the seat back, open the rear window and prise up the window rubber.
then working from the bottom of the door pillar aggressively pull the trim away from the bodywork. There are 4 clips up the door pillar and three along the top. The door pillar is fairly easy but the middle one along the top can be a ****** as you risk tearing the panel if you pull too hard. When refitting remember to engage the little lip into the hole on the wheelarch as you can't do this once the panel is reclipped.
Some of the plastic clip mounts pay come away from the speaker panel. This is normal as they are only held to the panel with hot melt glue, so easily fixed back on. The metal clips themselves may come away as well so ensure you've pulled them all out of the bodywork and refitted them to the panel before refitting.

Is this on a 3 door?

I tried pulling the side off by the pillar, but it looks like its held on with glue...

Yes 3 door. The mounting posts for the clips are held on with hot glue, but these are held to the bodywork with metal spring clips.

Ah you were right :)

But the clip was stronger than the glue so the glue came off, will stick it back on tomorrow.

Got the cable installed nice and snugly, but it was getting dark so I will put everything back together tomorrow morning.

Accidently ripped the panel when pulling off the middle one (like you warned me about!) but its not too bad as the fabricy stuff is still intact.

Lots of cuts, but was fun :)

Cheers Andy!

Forgot to ask - behind the glove box where a few torx head screws that had yellow paint on them, but most of them didnt.
Any idea why they are painted? I connected the ground from the cable to one of these screws.