put in order of preference: a3 2.0T, a3 3.2v6, golf mk5 gti, golf mk5 r32

p1tse

Reaction score
put in order of preference: a3 2.0T, a3 3.2v6, golf mk5 gti, golf mk5 r32 ( i will be looking at 5 door, dsg)

think my first choice would be:
1. mk5 golf r32 (but this is most expensive on the used car market)

so not sure from 2 onwards.

what would be your preference?

Well taking everything into account (even adding the S3 to that list). I went for the 2.0T S-Line quattro. Basically because it does a bit of everything... Quick, relatively economical, understated/prestige, 4WD, lowest insurance etc.

So for me it was/is : 2.0T>R32>A3 3.2>Golf GTI

i didn't realise the 2.0T had quattro version, but with my price budget the ones i would look at won't.

i didn't realise the 2.0T had quattro version, but with my price budget the ones i would look at won't.

I dunno mate, the only thing with the quattro is that they're quite rare (i had to search for months for the right one, then had to do a 500 mile round trip to fetch it!).
It's because of the fact there are less of them that they're a little more expensive. You're only talking maybe £1K extra. Worth it though i think.

Well taking everything into account (even adding the S3 to that list). I went for the 2.0T S-Line quattro. Basically because it does a bit of everything... Quick, relatively economical, understated/prestige, 4WD, lowest insurance etc.

So for me it was/is : 2.0T>R32>A3 3.2>Golf GTI

I'd probably agree with that but at the price point i was looking (upto £10k) the A3 3.2 offered amazing VFM - got a 05 (cheap tax :thumbsup:) 3.2 sport with 30k on it for £8.5k leaving me a big chunk of cash for other little projects :)

Couldn't find any of the others in anything approaching the condition one i got for £10k

The 3.2 A3 is probably the best buy out of the lot. At the moment, buying a big engined small-ish car seems a pointless contradiction to some people in economic terms so it's defiitely a buyers market! Also a debadged derv A3 looks the same as the 3.2 so buyers can have a car that looks the same with better running costs.

Not the case with the R32. It's the only Golf which looks like that so you can't cheat!

put in order of preference: a3 2.0T, a3 3.2v6, golf mk5 gti, golf mk5 r32 ( i will be looking at 5 door, dsg)

what would be your preference?

For me...
1st, Golf GTI.
2nd...save up for an S3.

I wouldn't entertain the V6 in any form - especially the bling-tastic R32 Mk5...no, after the GTI, I'd be saving hard for the S3.

There will be more choice and probably better VFM if you go for the Golf. And its a brilliant car.
Having not driven one, I would still be tempted by the A3 20T, for same reasons as PNH80.

Both the V6 options are a lot of car for the money but will be thirsty/nose heavy/expensive to tune (if thats your thing) in comparison. BUT will sound great when on song.

Paul

I'd probably agree with that but at the price point i was looking (upto £10k) the A3 3.2 offered amazing VFM - got a 05 (cheap tax :thumbsup:) 3.2 sport with 30k on it for £8.5k leaving me a big chunk of cash for other little projects :)

Couldn't find any of the others in anything approaching the condition one i got for £10k

nice one
any pics of yours and where from and spec etc.?

For me...
1st, Golf GTI.
2nd...save up for an S3.

I wouldn't entertain the V6 in any form - especially the bling-tastic R32 Mk5...no, after the GTI, I'd be saving hard for the S3.

fair enough, but the s3 is a little bling too

why the golf gti over the a3 2.0T though?

photos here:
media2nr4.jpg

media3wg9.jpg

Pretty much base spec sport, cloth interior (which i prefer personally...) with the rear sun blind :thumbsup:

Easy one this.

1. Mk5 Gti
2. A3 2.0T
3. Mk5 R32
4. A3 3.2V6 (my previous car)

And stay away from anything with DSG. Manual Mk5 GTi is the best of this bunch by a mile if you are interested in driving rather than simply getting from A to B.

There will be more choice and probably better VFM if you go for the Golf. And its a brilliant car.
Having not driven one, I would still be tempted by the A3 20T, for same reasons as PNH80.

Both the V6 options are a lot of car for the money but will be thirsty/nose heavy/expensive to tune (if thats your thing) in comparison. BUT will sound great when on song.

Paul

only things with golfs are there are many with the crappy cloth seats lol

i've got an audi tt 225 remapped, and although love the turbo, think the v6 would be a nice change. but won't dismiss the 2.0T, as it's flexible, fun and not as heavy on fuel.

as i want 5 door, the a3 option just doesn't look as sporty.
famous words, won't be looking to tune lol

another advantage of the v6, is that the quattro option is more standard across the board compared to the 2.0T. i don't push hard in mine, but do notice the front wheels don't spin as much in the rain etc.

also i have it in my head that the dsg works better with the v6 engine.
but if it was the a3 option v6 which seems good VFM, i guess a nice exhaust would be nice.

Easy one this.

1. Mk5 Gti
2. A3 2.0T
3. Mk5 R32
4. A3 3.2V6 (my previous car)

And stay away from anything with DSG. Manual Mk5 GTi is the best of this bunch by a mile if you are interested in driving rather than simply getting from A to B.

i have this car in mind for the other half too and think the dsg would be nicer and easier than a manual.

any good or bad points from your previous car?

fair enough, but the s3 is a little bling too

I don't see the 9P S3 as bling at all...probably too understated next to an 8L, but a very good car.

why the golf gti over the a3 2.0T though?

Because an A3 FWD is just another 'premium' hatch...and i were going to have a FWD hatch at all, I'd rather it be a bit more fun and something to turn my head.
For me, the A3 is bland to look at (to some degree including the S3) but the GTI Golf just looks better...and also happens to drive better too.

I can live without the bells and whistles, bling and luxury tat to have a more fun base car...so I'd take a GTI over an A3 2.0 TFSI every day.

But that's just me.

If I had the money for an R32 vs GTI I'd still take the GTI...
If I had the money for an S3 though...it'd be a harder choice.

I wouldn't dismiss the 3.2 as thirsty. I average 23-5mpg and drive reasonably hard. A few guys I know with various 2.0 TFSI engined cars struggle to do any better!

any good or bad points from your previous car?

When I had my A3 3.2 DSG:

Good points: lovely engine, rock solid build quality, good performance
Bad points: poor handling (nose heavy), hated DSG (you're never 100% in control), low standard spec (no heated leather, no MFFBSW)

I averaged around 22/23 mpg in mine.

I dont drive like miss daisy and have averaged 27.4mpg in 20kmiles.

Don't ask how it manages it, I really don't drive like an old lady.

heh, i'm making 26 average on my commute and thats loads of crawling through traffic and a couple of high speed dashs.

Admittedly if i'm really pushing it that does drop somewhat but day to day its pretty good :)

1. Evo X

2. Focus RS

3. Impreza STI.

4 A3 TFSI.
regards
dave

How long you had yours though?

What you putting in it diluted unleaded?

I was pleasantly surprised when I got mine, not much worse than the g/f's sportka we traded in....

So that's a whole load of us getting good mileage on ours.

When I drove to Ultimate Dubs on Saturday morning, I'd got half a tank of fuel in, and had to run the tank pretty low to allow the car inside. I drove as fast as possible, and couldn't get worse than 21mpg despite trying to!

Maybe you should be thinking of getting a charger or turbo kit on there.....

If I stick to your list:

1) Golf Mk5 GTi
2) A3 2.0T
3) A3 3.2V6
4) R32 Mk5

Why that order? Whilst I love the sound of the V6's, to me they don't offer enough over the 2.0T to justify the price increase. Also the 2.0T models are far more tunable.

The Golf pips it not because of the quality (which is inferior), I just felt it drove/handled slightly better than the 2.0T Audi. The Edition 30 moves the game on again. Not likely to be a popular view on an Audi forum, but then at least I'm honest and unbiased.

How long you had yours though?

What you putting in it diluted unleaded?

I was pleasantly surprised when I got mine, not much worse than the g/f's sportka we traded in....

been driving it nearly 100 hours so far so about 3k in total, all using shell standard fuel (citi card + drivers club for 3% cash back :))

I get a few mpg better using Optimax/Ultimate...

Might be worth ago...

Hehe i think it levels itself out near enough.

Might be a mental thing but it seems to run smoother...

as i want 5 door, the a3 option just doesn't look as sporty.

Good point, the Golf 5dr looks a slightly more `fussy` 3dr,not too different, whereas the 5dr A3 looks a completely different car rather than a 5dr `version` of the 3dr.

Which you actually prefer is a matter of taste.

Paul

So that's a whole load of us getting good mileage on ours.

When I drove to Ultimate Dubs on Saturday morning, I'd got half a tank of fuel in, and had to run the tank pretty low to allow the car inside. I drove as fast as possible, and couldn't get worse than 21mpg despite trying to!

was it ultimate dubs show?
if so going to search for some pics, always like pics ;-)

If I stick to your list:

1) Golf Mk5 GTi
2) A3 2.0T
3) A3 3.2V6
4) R32 Mk5

Why that order? Whilst I love the sound of the V6's, to me they don't offer enough over the 2.0T to justify the price increase. Also the 2.0T models are far more tunable.

The Golf pips it not because of the quality (which is inferior), I just felt it drove/handled slightly better than the 2.0T Audi. The Edition 30 moves the game on again. Not likely to be a popular view on an Audi forum, but then at least I'm honest and unbiased.

thanks for that.
i guess the price of the r32 is why it's down in 4th?

thanks for that.
i guess the price of the r32 is why it's down in 4th?

I wouldn't want a car with so little go with that much show!

Only joking, I loved the Mk4 R32, but the Mk5 for me is a marmite car. People either love it or hate it. I couldn't pay nearly £30k for a car with a dashboard that looked like that, and seeing it was knocking on the door of S3 money it was a no brainer. Some say the R32 grips harder than the S3, but this can be remedied fairly cheaply. Making the R32 faster by comparison is very expensive!

The order depends on what you want from a car. The VWs are definately better drivers cars, with the MK5 GTi the best by far. If you like loads of torque go for the V6, I love being able to drive round in 4th and just pull aways at almost any speed. The Audis are definately more 'executive' the interiour feels more solid. To go out and play on the back roads I would go for the GTi, but for driving every day I would go for the A3 3.2 if you can put up with the fuel consumption. I'm doing about 25mpg on loads of stop start local driving. But I just love big engines, I'm thinking of shopping the 3.2 V6 in for a B6 S4 estate with a 4.2V8 cos I've got another baby on the way!