"Push Clutch To Start" Bypass Harness

george_seamons

I'm on the naughty step
Reaction score
I know this isn't the place for sales ads etc, but I think this would be very beneficial to the community! I won't use this as an actual ad, but more as a note to message me if it is something you are interested in!

I have developed a plug-and-play solution to the problematic TFSI thrust washer wearing caused by having to start certain VAG cars with the clutch depressed. This problem is exaggerated with uprated clutches. Once the problem sets in, the crank and block are then toast, so a new engine is needed.

It doesn't just work on TFSI's though! A lot of people are fitting them to other engines just because they find having to press the clutch to start the engine every time annoying!

This kit involves unplugging the electrical plug to the clutch switch, plugging it into the harness, then plugging the harness into the clutch switch. That's it...no cutting/soldering/messing about with multi meters etc, and it's reversible if you ever want to remove it (selling the car etc). Cruise control functions, and over-rev protection are still kept fully functional.

It comes with comprehensive instructions, which detail fitment, with clear pictures.

It was developed on a '57 plate 8P S3 but will fit pretty much every VAG car of the same era/shape. The only thing it won't work on is cars with Stop/Start Technology. Check with me if you're not sure though.

I have made over 135 of these now. They have proven to be very very popular with a wide range of cars. Unfortunately my previous For Sale section advert got closed (due to me not being a trader I guess). However, they are on eBay, and you can converse/order via PM, or ask any questions you may have if you so wish.

13876400 10154456353871052 366028929917765225 n

Reactions: MuPPeT_ON_TouR
Appreciate its a good solution, but you do have to be a trader to advertise these things mate, give Sandra a shout to discuss it further as it has to be fair for all.

Ok, thanks. I will message her now. I wasn't sure of the definition of Trader (I don't have a shop or anything like that, this is the only thing I have to offer). That would explain why my For Sale post was closed. Not trying to rock the boat or anything!

Received mine last week, its a quality cable/looks completely OEM. Got it fitted within 20mins.

Thanks George.

Reactions: george_seamons
Sorry to stamp on you parade, but the whole idea of depressing the clutch is to release the flywheel before it spins up as it will be dry until the oil builds up to stop wear and tear.

Reactions: Garrett 69
Sorry to stamp on you parade, but the whole idea of depressing the clutch is to release the flywheel before it spins up as it will be dry until the oil builds up to stop wear and tear.
Maybe on gearboxes in the 80s, but nowadays gearbox lubrication and design is considerably better.

The ONLY reason you have to press the clutch to start is to protect the manufacturer from getting sued because you started it in gear and crashed into somebody. Blame the American compensation culture.

This IS a real problem on the TFSI engines. The thrust washers design has been proven to be poor. Starting the engine with your foot on the clutch increases the wear significantly:

Not trying to be smart but is the flywheel not released when the car is in neutral anyway??
So starting the car in neutral without clutch or in gear with the clutch pressed would be the same on the flywheel?

Even in neutral the input shaft of the gearbox is still turning, power is only disconnected when the clutch is pressed (this is ignoring the mistake made about releasing the flywheel...the flywheel is directly connected to the crankshaft, you cannot "release" it).

Reactions: kash_v and dg-1984
Well I stand corrected, Old dogs can be taught new tricks, lol. Modern technology :readit:
Glad I have a dsg instead.

Reactions: audis3UK
So is this only beneficial when fitted at the same time as a new clutch/flywheel?

It's not worth fitting with 65k on original factory clutch is it? surely damage would already be done

So is this only beneficial when fitted at the same time as a new clutch/flywheel?

It's not worth fitting with 65k on original factory clutch is it? surely damage would already be done
It's not the clutch/flywheel it affects, it's the crank/thrust bearing/block that is the issue. It absolutely is worth fitting, to prolong the life of the engine

Oh I see, in that case i'll get and order 2, one for the S3 and one for the Mk5 GTI, :icon thumright:

Unless you're not in the UK, the Mk5 doesn't require the clutch to be depressed to start the engine, the S3 does though. PM me if you want to order one :)

I was always told when I was younger to depress the clutch when starting a cold engine and when turning an engine off, can't remember the reasoning behind it but it's something that's stuck so the S3 i've just bought I didn't even realise had this feature! But yes i will be ordering one i'll be in touch shortly

Just wanted to say george_seamons was great to deal with, and I was quite happy with my push-to-start bypass! Works great on my North American 2006 A3.

I have had one off these parts in my S3 for the last 3yrs and its a brill piece off kit and has never thrown up any errors or caused any problems , so i fully recommend

Reactions: Eren S3 and samuelh_888
I have had one off these parts in my S3 for the last 3yrs and its a brill piece off kit and has never thrown up any errors or caused any problems , so i fully recommend

+1 to this! One of the first things I did on my S3 when I got it about a year and a half ago. No errors or problems at all. Would recommend as well!

@george_seamons, I would like to purchase one of these! Can't seem to start any conversations at the moment. Please send info at your earliest convenience. Thanks.

@george_seamons, I would like to purchase one of these! Can't seem to start any conversations at the moment. Please send info at your earliest convenience. Thanks.

I got one from him the other week via facebook in an Audi owners group, may be a better bet for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Essential pieces of kit if you are running an uprated clutch with string springs. It help so prevent crank walk when the thrust washers wear due to poor lubrication on initial start up.

Hi guys I have a golf 7 of 2016 with manual petrol transmission The start system is stop deactivated via Vag-com because I was not interested, the kit in question is compatible with my car, thanks

I know this isn't the place for sales ads etc, but I think this would be very beneficial to the community! I won't use this as an actual ad, but more as a note to message me if it is something you are interested in!

I have developed a plug-and-play solution to the problematic TFSI thrust washer wearing caused by having to start certain VAG cars with the clutch depressed. This problem is exaggerated with uprated clutches. Once the problem sets in, the crank and block are then toast, so a new engine is needed.

It doesn't just work on TFSI's though! A lot of people are fitting them to other engines just because they find having to press the clutch to start the engine every time annoying!

This kit involves unplugging the electrical plug to the clutch switch, plugging it into the harness, then plugging the harness into the clutch switch. That's it...no cutting/soldering/messing about with multi meters etc, and it's reversible if you ever want to remove it (selling the car etc). Cruise control functions, and over-rev protection are still kept fully functional.

It comes with comprehensive instructions, which detail fitment, with clear pictures.

It was developed on a '57 plate 8P S3 but will fit pretty much every VAG car of the same era/shape. The only thing it won't work on is cars with Stop/Start Technology. Check with me if you're not sure though.

I have made over 135 of these now. They have proven to be very very popular with a wide range of cars. Unfortunately my previous For Sale section advert got closed (due to me not being a trader I guess). However, they are on eBay, and you can converse/order via PM, or ask any questions you may have if you so wish.

View attachment 106772
Hi my name is Kate I have never used this site so sorry if this is a stupid question but how do i PM you to order one of these. Thanx

Hi my name is Kate I have never used this site so sorry if this is a stupid question but how do i PM you to order one of these. Thanx
Kate - as you're newly registered, there are restrictions on sending private messages, normally until you've posted a few replies/threads; this has now been bypassed so you can now send PMs. Click the username of the person you'd like to message, and then click 'start conversation'.

Rob

I have started every car since i have been driving with my foot on the clutch and i haven't blown any engines up yet

Just sayin' .......

Reactions: Garrett 69 and FPSUsername
I have started every car since i have been driving with my foot on the clutch and i haven't blown any engines up yet

Just sayin' .......
It’s not about blowing engines up, it’s about prolonging the life of them.. starting the engine with the clutch depressed increases wear on the thrust washers between the crank and block, which on the TFSI engines are/were a design fault.

I have sold 4000+ in the 5 years I have been making these, so must be one or two people that agree!

Reactions: ch1z64
I bought one off these harness off this member around 4yrs ago and have to say i totally recommend the item . Excellent purchase

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Hi
How much are these? Brilliant idea, was annoyed I couldn’t code it out on vagcom tbh
And yes the thrust edge that’s on a couple of big end bearings will eventually be worn on any car by dumping clutch/ depressing clutch more often even on tick over out of gear, anything that moves flywheel left to right ultimately, as it is directly bolted to crank through the flywheel, albeit probably take longer but in any case will cause crankshaft end float play as it used to be called and copper/zinc etc bearing sediment in sump which isn’t great with weak pickups. It doesn’t just drain out with oil change or pick up on magnetic sump plugs either if that’s what you are thinking, the stuff is like adding cornflour to sauce, & that is rebuild time before you end up replacing everything along with the rebuild if you don’t just lash it back together only to last 3k obviously.

but overall, how many times have you had car up on ramps and try to struggle squeezing through door/ windows to start for testing etc and remember that you have to do “arm-atronic” clutch depress whilst turning key with your feet touching the roof of workshop and your head in the pedal box.
I’m sure some mechanics will relate, so worth just to stop that even

Oh and I have seen genuine Sachs and Sachs thrust bearings fail and split etc after 6-12 months on uprated clutches and smf conversions too as well as the standard clutches.

Hope that helps people.

Hi
How much are these? Brilliant idea, was annoyed I couldn’t code it out on vagcom tbh
And yes the thrust edge that’s on a couple of big end bearings will eventually be worn on any car by dumping clutch/ depressing clutch more often even on tick over out of gear, anything that moves flywheel left to right ultimately, as it is directly bolted to crank through the flywheel, albeit probably take longer but in any case will cause crankshaft end float play as it used to be called and copper/zinc etc bearing sediment in sump which isn’t great with weak pickups. It doesn’t just drain out with oil change or pick up on magnetic sump plugs either if that’s what you are thinking, the stuff is like adding cornflour to sauce, & that is rebuild time before you end up replacing everything along with the rebuild if you don’t just lash it back together only to last 3k obviously.

but overall, how many times have you had car up on ramps and try to struggle squeezing through door/ windows to start for testing etc and remember that you have to do “arm-atronic” clutch depress whilst turning key with your feet touching the roof of workshop and your head in the pedal box.
I’m sure some mechanics will relate, so worth just to stop that even

Oh and I have seen genuine Sachs and Sachs thrust bearings fail and split etc after 6-12 months on uprated clutches and smf conversions too as well as the standard clutches.

Hope that helps people.
They are £25 posted :)

Hi All
Just posted

2.0 TFSI Thrust bearing and clutch slip issue​

Just asking, but does this flaw also apply to the 1.8 TFSI engines?
Not sure, one youtube video I watched is at 12 mins into this video

he discusses cars with 'push clutch to start' and the pressure applied to the crankshaft. Only the 2.0 TFSI, EA113, K04, S3AP, MK6 Golf R and Leon Cupra engines are mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: FPSUsername
Hi George, I can't PM you as new to site. Can you tell me if your unit effects the cruise control and the auto stop/start? Fortunately I never sit on my clutch at lights, new clutch coming next week at 30K miles, hope end float is still OK, no telling what life the car had before, got it at 15K miles.

Hi George, I can't PM you as new to site. Can you tell me if your unit effects the cruise control and the auto stop/start? Fortunately I never sit on my clutch at lights, new clutch coming next week at 30K miles, hope end float is still OK, no telling what life the car had before, got it at 15K miles.
It doesn’t affect cruise control, but unfortunately isn’t compatible with cars that have auto stop/start