1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

"Push Clutch To Start" Bypass Harness

george_seamons Oct 14, 2016

1. george_seamons

george_seamons I'm on the naughty step

I know this isn't the place for sales ads etc, but I think this would be very beneficial to the community! I won't use this as an actual ad, but more as a note to message me if it is something you are interested in!

I have developed a plug-and-play solution to the problematic TFSI thrust washer wearing caused by having to start certain VAG cars with the clutch depressed. This problem is exaggerated with uprated clutches. Once the problem sets in, the crank and block are then toast, so a new engine is needed.

It doesn't just work on TFSI's though! A lot of people are fitting them to other engines just because they find having to press the clutch to start the engine every time annoying!

This kit involves unplugging the electrical plug to the clutch switch, plugging it into the harness, then plugging the harness into the clutch switch. That's it...no cutting/soldering/messing about with multi meters etc, and it's reversible if you ever want to remove it (selling the car etc). Cruise control functions, and over-rev protection are still kept fully functional.

It comes with comprehensive instructions, which detail fitment, with clear pictures.

It was developed on a '57 plate 8P S3 but will fit pretty much every VAG car of the same era/shape. The only thing it won't work on is cars with Stop/Start Technology. Check with me if you're not sure though.

I have made over 135 of these now. They have proven to be very very popular with a wide range of cars. Unfortunately my previous For Sale section advert got closed (due to me not being a trader I guess). However, they are on eBay, and you can converse/order via PM, or ask any questions you may have if you so wish.

13876400_10154456353871052_366028929917765225_n.jpg

MuPPeT_ON_TouR likes this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Appreciate its a good solution, but you do have to be a trader to advertise these things mate, give Sandra a shout to discuss it further as it has to be fair for all.

4. george_seamons

Ok, thanks. I will message her now. I wasn't sure of the definition of Trader (I don't have a shop or anything like that, this is the only thing I have to offer). That would explain why my For Sale post was closed. Not trying to rock the boat or anything!

5. kash_v

kash_v Registered User

Received mine last week, its a quality cable/looks completely OEM. Got it fitted within 20mins.

Thanks George.

george_seamons likes this.
  6. audismart

audismart YOU ARE JUDGED BY THE CAR YOU DRIVE.

Sorry to stamp on you parade, but the whole idea of depressing the clutch is to release the flywheel before it spins up as it will be dry until the oil builds up to stop wear and tear.

7. george_seamons

Maybe on gearboxes in the 80s, but nowadays gearbox lubrication and design is considerably better.

The ONLY reason you have to press the clutch to start is to protect the manufacturer from getting sued because you started it in gear and crashed into somebody. Blame the American compensation culture.

This IS a real problem on the TFSI engines. The thrust washers design has been proven to be poor. Starting the engine with your foot on the clutch increases the wear significantly:

8. dg-1984

dg-1984 Registered User

Not trying to be smart but is the flywheel not released when the car is in neutral anyway??
    So starting the car in neutral without clutch or in gear with the clutch pressed would be the same on the flywheel?

9. george_seamons

Even in neutral the input shaft of the gearbox is still turning, power is only disconnected when the clutch is pressed (this is ignoring the mistake made about releasing the flywheel...the flywheel is directly connected to the crankshaft, you cannot "release" it).

kash_v and dg-1984 like this.
  10. aqibi2000

aqibi2000 Registered User

Good explanation George

11. audismart

audismart YOU ARE JUDGED BY THE CAR YOU DRIVE.

Well I stand corrected, Old dogs can be taught new tricks, lol. Modern technology :readit:
    Glad I have a dsg instead.

audis3UK likes this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. baderlfc

baderlfc Registered User

So is this only beneficial when fitted at the same time as a new clutch/flywheel?

It's not worth fitting with 65k on original factory clutch is it? surely damage would already be done

14. george_seamons

It's not the clutch/flywheel it affects, it's the crank/thrust bearing/block that is the issue. It absolutely is worth fitting, to prolong the life of the engine

15. baderlfc

baderlfc Registered User

Oh I see, in that case i'll get and order 2, one for the S3 and one for the Mk5 GTI, :icon thumright:

16. george_seamons

Unless you're not in the UK, the Mk5 doesn't require the clutch to be depressed to start the engine, the S3 does though. PM me if you want to order one :)

17. baderlfc

baderlfc Registered User

I was always told when I was younger to depress the clutch when starting a cold engine and when turning an engine off, can't remember the reasoning behind it but it's something that's stuck so the S3 i've just bought I didn't even realise had this feature! But yes i will be ordering one i'll be in touch shortly

18. bckroo

bckroo Registered User

Just wanted to say george_seamons was great to deal with, and I was quite happy with my push-to-start bypass! Works great on my North American 2006 A3.

19. ch1z64

ch1z64 C'mon you's bhoy's in Green Silver Supporter VCDS Map User

I have had one off these parts in my S3 for the last 3yrs and its a brill piece off kit and has never thrown up any errors or caused any problems , so i fully recommend

Eren S3 and samuelh_888 like this.
  20. Eren S3

Eren S3 Pretending to know what I'm doing. Silver Supporter

+1 to this! One of the first things I did on my S3 when I got it about a year and a half ago. No errors or problems at all. Would recommend as well!

21. S38P--Joe

S38P--Joe New Member

@george_seamons, I would like to purchase one of these! Can't seem to start any conversations at the moment. Please send info at your earliest convenience. Thanks.

22. Kayobong

Kayobong Registered User

I got one from him the other week via facebook in an Audi owners group, may be a better bet for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. prt57

prt57 Registered User

Essential pieces of kit if you are running an uprated clutch with string springs. It help so prevent crank walk when the thrust washers wear due to poor lubrication on initial start up.