Clifford Bowe

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Q7 I bought it used and I never used the key to manually start it.I purchased a spare key and when the auto mechanic attempted to program the spare he said that the original key that came with the vehicle was unable to start the Q7.Because I never attempted to do this I could not refute what he was saying. After a number of hours (7)I came back car won't start or power the windows a few lights were on and key not identified showed up on the dash.He had the driver seat out and he said he had to manually power the windows to secure the vehicle for the night.Can anyone confirm if there is actually a way to brick this vehicle though improper coding?Everything was fine until I tried to ensure I had a spare key for it.

Sounds like a battery issue - maybe the key and the vehicle itself. There is a routine in the user manual for re-pairing the keys with the vehicle. In Audi-speak push button start is often known as 'Advanced Key'.

Sounds like a battery issue - maybe the key and the vehicle itself. There is a routine in the user manual for re-pairing the keys with the vehicle. In Audi-speak push button start is often known as 'Advanced Key'.
Ok
I will look into this.

It should do. If the key battery is completely flat then it won't have enough power to energise the electronic transponder that tells the engine ECU that it's a legitimate starting attempt. The Audi keys are more than 'just a mechanical key', they have sophisticated electronics within not just for security but also to store vehicle/driver specific details when options like electric seats are installed.

Ok the programmer is saying that in order to programme the spare key the original key had to be removed from the system and added at the same time as the new key.When he attempted to have this done the car refuse to recognize any of the keys.Now he is saying I may have to order two genuine Audi keys.
The original is genuine however he says the key was removed.I really need to know if this information sounds credible.What should I do? I am afraid to order more keys and have a similar effect.

Are you talking to a proper Audi dealer or an independent?

Independent for the most part.I spoke to an Audi rep. this week who said the vehicle must be shipped to the USA in order for the problem to be solved.Here is the issue I live on an island that was devastated by hurricane Dorian and shipping is a major issue.

Ahhh I see your challenge now. Do you have the vehicle handbook? There is a routine documented in the guide for re-pairing the keys with the car when Advanced Key is present - I've only ever done it once (on an SQ5).

Ok here is the update apparently the independent person I used initially rendered the original key useless.He claimed that the spare key which he determined was an aftermarket key and it was not programmable. I towed the vehicle to another independent person who was able to get the aftermarket key programmed to start the vehicle however he was unable to get any of the advanced features like the proximity, remote locking and push start to work.He claimed that once he gets a genuine Audi key then he would be able.Can anyone confirm if Audi would sell an original key to an independent individual?I also heard that they only sell the programming via subscription.Can you confirm if this info is correct?