Purchasing 2013 S4 Avant - things to look for

STW

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm in the market for an S4 Avant and going to look at one tomorrow in a local garage. Its 3.0 TFSI V6 Black Edition S Tronic quattro which is March 2013 registered (so im assuming B8.5 chassis) with 88k on the clock and MOT till July 22 with last service April 22. Its had 5 previous owners and ad says full service history. Priced at £17k.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for as whilst I've had many Audi's in the past this is only the 2nd time ive bought used and also my first foray into S world.

I'm thinking things like has gearbox been serviced every 40k and when was timing or cam belt last serviced/changed but anything else obvious I should be checking with the garage from those of you who own one of these?

Thanks in advance for any pointers

I'll let others with experience answer the engine and gearbox query.

Check rear coil spring rubber seats. This is a 2013 model and regardless of trim and engine, these rubber bushes deteriorate as the metal inner corrodes. Bit of a ****** to fit if I'm honest and Audi will want £300 for the privilege on what is a non-expensive part. You could speak to Audi if you have VIN to see if there's any outstanding recalls or advisories. You can also check MOT history via Government site.

If you or someone you know has access to VCDS, would be worth scanning. Sometimes throws up Information Electrical section that can be a bit of a minefield, such as when was the Sat Nav last updated, air-conditioning pressure sensor, air quality sensor (recirculation). Again, nothing major - but if you're paying £17k, it all adds up there-after.

If it's got a panoramic roof, then be warned. I can send you links to existing threads.

Get some pictures posted if you buy!

Many thanks for your reply and this info is much appreciated. Unfortunately I dont know anyone who has access to VCDS but these are all very useful questions I shall be asking the dealer later on today! No pano roof on this one although I do already have a 2013 A4 Avant black edition with this installed in it but with the weather where I live I think i've used it about 3 times in 3 years!

Thanks again

Might be too late but here's some advice:
Sometimes cars are advertised as "full" service history based just on a record of annual service without qualifying what level of service was done each time.
- At 88K the gearbox must have been serviced twice - is there any evidence of this?
- I can't remember the exact recommendation but I'd have expected the plugs to have been changed.
- Similarly the belts (there is no timing belt but it has a supercharger belt and an auxiliary belt, both of which should have been changed.
The s-tronic gearbox has been revised twice and the second was around the date that car was registered so it probably has the 2nd. Check that all gearchanges are smooth, in particular 2 to 1 (which only happens at very slow speeds so you might want to check in manual).
The timing chain tensioner can also be a problem. Listen for rattle on cold start - the chains are at the back of the engine. If you are unsure you'll be able to find video and/or audio clips on the web (search via Audizine).
The crank pulley has a risk of failure. This is uncommon and is tough to diagnose (including by shining a light on it from above to see for any signs of wobble) so that's something you might have to deal with after you buy.
The water pump is also a weak point. Look for any signs of coolant leakage around the front left of the engine.
The PCV can fail. These cars aren't fitted with an oil dipstick so unless you have one you'll have to rely on the the dash level - make sure it is OK. Open the fill cap - does it come off easily or is there excessive vacuum making it difficult? Any signs of coolant in the oil (indicates intercooler leak) or oil in the coolant?

Reactions: spartacus 68
Might be too late but here's some advice:
Sometimes cars are advertised as "full" service history based just on a record of annual service without qualifying what level of service was done each time.
- At 88K the gearbox must have been serviced twice - is there any evidence of this?
- I can't remember the exact recommendation but I'd have expected the plugs to have been changed.
- Similarly the belts (there is no timing belt but it has a supercharger belt and an auxiliary belt, both of which should have been changed.
The s-tronic gearbox has been revised twice and the second was around the date that car was registered so it probably has the 2nd. Check that all gearchanges are smooth, in particular 2 to 1 (which only happens at very slow speeds so you might want to check in manual).
The timing chain tensioner can also be a problem. Listen for rattle on cold start - the chains are at the back of the engine. If you are unsure you'll be able to find video and/or audio clips on the web (search via Audizine).
The crank pulley has a risk of failure. This is uncommon and is tough to diagnose (including by shining a light on it from above to see for any signs of wobble) so that's something you might have to deal with after you buy.
The water pump is also a weak point. Look for any signs of coolant leakage around the front left of the engine.
The PCV can fail. These cars aren't fitted with an oil dipstick so unless you have one you'll have to rely on the the dash level - make sure it is OK. Open the fill cap - does it come off easily or is there excessive vacuum making it difficult? Any signs of coolant in the oil (indicates intercooler leak) or oil in the coolant?
Thanks very much for the reply and advice and I shall be adding these to my list of things to query with the dealer.

Much appreciated!