Purchased a 3.2 , clueless honda owner

JayR35

Reaction score
Hi guys I should be picking up an Audi A3 3.2 on a 55 plate later tonight. It's about 93k miles with 2prev owners

I'm told service history is complete & history looks good albeit advisory for corroded rear springs. it's in DSG guise mainly for the GF to drive as she only has an auto license!

I'm not in possession of a VCDS but I heard something about chains on these cars is there anyway to check without the technology any signs or methods to check ?
Any other issues I need to be aware of?

It's not the S line so lacking an arm rest which I really wanted! & no sunroof or follow me home lights :(

Any advice around this much appreciated or where I can purchase some decent 15mm springs.

I'm clueless with the VAG motors but ask me about Honda's and I can tell you most things. Il be looking at keeping this for a good few years and my type R is also here to stay for the foreseeable :)
Cheers
Jay
Screenshot 20210401 142011

Last edited:
Do some r&d on chain stretch, I would do this asap cause it could cost you more than the car to repair.

Try and idle at 2k rpm. If it won’t hold then the ecu software needs a update. Contact @DJAlix as he did mine.

you can check the measuring blocks. Iirc any value over 8 indicates the chain is stretched.

check this out

Reactions: JayR35
Cheers for the response guys. Unfortunately the sale fell through.

I'll study the guide in detail I still have my eye on the 3.2 V6 although that timing chain certainly scares me

Perhaps il have to widen my search to maybe an A3 2.0tfsi or S3

Cheers

Don’t let it scare you, just do your research. I think it was only confined to the early models, but chains do stretch. On anything else it wouldn’t be that much to fix, but on the 3.2 is quite a job.

more common was the software issue that manifested itself in symptoms similar to chain stretch.

if I was going to buy one again I’d get a manual, not a dsg. I’m more concerned about the metatronics failing than the chain.

Trouble is the other half can drive auto only only so I can't go manual

I'm due to do the timing chain on my FN2 Type R. The genuine kit cost me £220 to buy and a few hours labour to fit if that

I've seen costs for the chain labour hitting around the 2-3k mark effectively more than the cars worth which is ridiculously bad

I also found there is some hesitation and some lurching on take off and someone mentioned that this could indicate an issue with the mechatronic unit. If that's the case and totaled with the timing chain cost it becomes uneconomical

I really appreciate all the input guys

I love NA engines but a turbo variant with a simple belt might be the best way forward I guess