Purchase of a new A3.

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As the new A3s are beginning to be delivered I would be interested to know if anyone has purchased one as a private purchase using their own money rather than choosing one to be their next company car.

Hello - My first post.

Well i've pretty much decided to go to the dealer tomorrow armed with 30k of my own money. Planning on......

A3 Sportback S-line 1.8 TFSI S-tronic
Phantom Black
Adaptive Cruise Control
Aluminium Roof Rails
Audi Sound System
DAB Radio
Interior Lighting Pack
Light/Rain Sensors
Non-smoking pack
Sat Nav SD Based
Delete engine technology

Not sure on/too expensive.....
Privacy Glass
Tech Pack
5yr warranty
comfort pack

Last edited:
Hello - My first post.

Well i've pretty much decided to go to the dealer tomorrow armed with 30k of my own money. Planning on......

A3 Sportback S-line 1.8 TFSI S-tronic
Phantom Black
Adaptive Cruise Control
Aluminium Roof Rails
Audi Sound System
DAB Radio
Interior Lighting Pack
Light/Rain Sensors
Non-smoking pack
Sat Nav SD Based
Delete engine technology

Not sure on/too expensive.....
Privacy Glass
Tech Pack
5yr warranty
comfort pack

Have you had a test drive?

Had a drive in a sport 2.0tdi manual which was absoloutley fine, and they had an s-line in the showroom for viewing. Haven't yet driven an s-tronic though, but hopefully can tomorrow. To be honest i think I'd be amazed if I test drove a new car and didn't like it!

Nice spec but the one thing I'd really question is the adaptive cruise.

Do you really need a system that follows the car in front? Personally I can't think of anything worse and would rather be in charge of the car's speed myself thanks.

It's £575 for that and £150 for the light/rain sensors, totalling £725. For £605 you could get the comfort pack instead, which gives you standard cruise control, the light/rain sensors, rear parking sensors, auto-dimming rear view mirror and acoustic windscreen.

Just a thought and, if the adaptive cruise is what you want, then I'll defend your right to have it to the end of the earth - I just don't agree with you :D

Oh, and with the tech pack being offered for £1k on the Sportback, I'd go for that for sure. If you're spending circa £30k, what's another grand? :D

I use cruise control mostly on quite long drives across Europe on motorways that generally have less traffic than UK motorways. On these the ability of the car to slow down when there is another vehicle in front and someone is coming up fast behind me and I have to slow down before I can overtake would be much better than having to touch the brakes to dis-engage the cruise. Once the other car has passed I can pull out and and go back to my cruise set speed (usually 90mph).

As it currently looks like my next car will be a Golf VII which, unlike the A3, has adaptive cruise control as standard I will be able to see if I like it.

It's a convenience too far in my eyes and shouldn't be allowed. Having a car which can speed up and slow down of its own accord is going to lead to drivers becoming complacent and lazy and will lead to accidents. But that's just my view.

FWIW, the adaptive cruise on a friend's new BMW nearly killed him not long ago.

Reactions: N8
The ACC is one thing which I have fancied for a while which seems quite cool. I get annoyed with standard cruise when you have to keep knocking it back 2-3 mph then on again when the road is clear. A bit unnecessary for me really as I don't do many motorway miles but there you go.

I have always thought the dimming rear mirror expensive at around 245, and dont think I would benefit from it, but parking sensors would be good.

As for another 1000 on the tech pack it's just a bit too far - got to draw the line somewhere! The only benefit I can see in it for me is the slightly bigger screen.

Cheer for your comments.

Fair enough and each to their own :)

Personally I couldn't live without the auto-dimming rear view mirror, or the wing-mirrors for that matter.

I'm actually very annoyed that the new model only has the dimming mirror on the driver's side!

Reactions: N8
What happened to your friend? I thought it would be safer, being able to brake by itself if you weren't paying attention. Maybe I need to think about it.

Was in Germany. Following another car for quite a while who was obviously going the same way as him. Set the cruise at a high speed and then let it slow down and speed back up as necessary whilst following the other car.

All great until they both came off at the same junction. He was still following and the cruise slowed down with the car in front as they both came off the sliproad, then at the end of the sliproad the road bent away to the right. As the leading car went round the bend, the cruise in my friend's lost sight of it and obviously assumed it had pulled out of the way, so accelerated back up to his original speed.

Basically, just as he was slowing down for a corner, the car decided to accelerate hard. Scared the life out of him.

Not saying all systems would behave this way but just thinking about it scares me to be honest. Such systems should have far more safeguards in place to prevent things like this from happening. Maybe Audi's system is better, I don't know. I just think it's a step too far in terms of autonomous systems in cars really, but that's just me :)

I also haven't but I am planning on paying cash, I'm trying to limit myself to around £25,000. Current planned spec is:

2.0 TDI Sport
In phantom black
Heated front seats
comfort pack
Audi parking system + park assist
High beam assistant
SD based sat nav system
tyre pressure monitor
Alacantra/leather seats
storage pack

which per my calcs Comes to basically £26,200. But you can get from buyacar.com (anyone dealt with them or someone similar?) For £25,000 so I'm trying to haggle with my local dealer at the moment!

Other extras I'd like but can't fit in: Tech pack, phone box, interior lighting package

Trying to decide how important model is as was considering SE and highly spec'ing it to get to the same price. Any thoughts?

Any other ideas of how best to spec the vehicle for £25,000 - Is anything I've included OTT and not really adding anything?

Fair enough and each to their own :)

Personally I couldn't live without the auto-dimming rear view mirror, or the wing-mirrors for that matter.

I'm actually very annoyed that the new model only has the dimming mirror on the driver's side!

I agree about the mirrors. Would not want to be without the dimming mirrors on my A3.

I agree about the mirrors. Would not want to be without the dimming mirrors on my A3.

i think mine has stopped working in my current old A3, it does pee you off when bright lights are in your face, i guess it depends if anything else is more important to you.

Ok you've sold me on the dimming mirror! Have added comfort pack to my spec. Thanks for your help :)

Hi,

I've just ordered an A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI.

S-Line spec,
Daytona Grey,
Comfort Pack,
Interior Light Package,
SD Sat Nav (free!)
Non-smoking package.

I didn't feel the need to add the Tech Pack, as you don't really seem to get much extra - I wouldn't have had the SD Sat Nav if it wasn't free.

Aiming for delivery March 2013 :yes:

Hi,

I've just ordered an A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI.

S-Line spec,
Daytona Grey,
Comfort Pack,
Interior Light Package,
SD Sat Nav (free!)
Non-smoking package.

I didn't feel the need to add the Tech Pack, as you don't really seem to get much extra - I wouldn't have had the SD Sat Nav if it wasn't free.

Aiming for delivery March 2013 :yes:

sweet!
Yeah am thinking of not getting the tech pack either, but then again i like my gadgets so finding it hard to resist

Is the SD nav part of another pack, or has it recently been added as standard kit ?

if you order the new A3 sportback before a certain date you get it for free. I think it was Feb, its in small print on the brochure.

One thing if you (or anyone) specs dimming wingmirrors - don't bash them!

Clouted the passenger one in my old 8P and it needed new glass and a new housing, for which Audi wanted £470!!

The glass alone was £200 as it's a dimming one. I shall be rather more careful in future, although if you have folding ones too then at least you can set them to fold automatically when you lock the car now.

sweet!
Yeah am thinking of not getting the tech pack either, but then again i like my gadgets so finding it hard to resist

Im similar, but it doesn't really seem to add anything that I'd use.

So today i went to another Audi dealer, this time the battery wasnt flat in the car and i could see the new media screen.
This pic is one of the standard screen, i.e not the one you get with the tech pack.
As you can see the physically size is the same as the tech pack version (7") but the screen itself is smaller 5.8". They have filled up the edges with black plastic (or something) i guess having one mold and hole is better for production and makes size.

anyway hope this helps.

20121110 174513