Puncture repair

Bryant1998

Reaction score
Has anyone with an S3 had a puncture repaired before? And if so did you have any problems later on?

Dropped my S3 off at the tyre garage as had a 1-2mm puncture almost in the middle of the tyre, getting patched tomorrow, I was under the impression you shouldn’t patch performance tyres especially if you give them hard use. But I don’t want to change the tyres if I don’t need to as they’re not even 50% worn...

On continental CS5’s if that makes any difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry too much people have punctures repaired on all sorts of cars all the time. Put the wheel on the rear just to be safer if need be.

I wouldn't worry too much people have punctures repaired on all sorts of cars all the time. Put the wheel on the rear just to be safer if need be.

Cheers mate, didn’t want it to be a case of doing 160 and it goes bang haha

Not sure what you mean by 160. I assume it’s 160 miles per hour.

Keep to the speed limit and you should be fine

Not sure what you mean by 160. I assume it’s 160 miles per hour.

Keep to the speed limit and you should be fine

A tyre I can’t take above 70 is useless to me, are you saying the tyre won’t take much above 70 with a patch or is this a speed lecture?

I just want to know if the tyre is going to perform as if it was never punctured in the first place

If you want to be driving at 160mph, then why are you risking a puncture repair patch up?
I'd be putting a brand new tyre on the car that is built to cope with those speeds as long as it's not compromised.
And then i'd be replacing both tyres on the axle because you want equal grip at those speeds, or you are at a higher risk of losing grip.
On top of all that, the S3 has a very sensitive diff and won't like having tyres that are different circumferences on the same axle.

I'd also love to know where you take your car to achive 5mph over the top speed of this engine, it must be a massive runway to allow these speeds and room to slow down again?

... or is this a speed lecture?

This ^^

And no, it most likely won't perform as if it was never punctured as it has had a puncture. I had a patch put into a near new PS4 and it's never caused an issue around the speed limit. As for 160 mph...

If you want to be driving at 160mph, then why are you risking a puncture repair patch up?
I'd be putting a brand new tyre on the car that is built to cope with those speeds as long as it's not compromised.
And then i'd be replacing both tyres on the axle because you want equal grip at those speeds, or you are at a higher risk of losing grip.
On top of all that, the S3 has a very sensitive diff and won't like having tyres that are different circumferences on the same axle.

I'd also love to know where you take your car to achive 5mph over the top speed of this engine, it must be a massive runway to allow these speeds and room to slow down again?

It’s not often I get up to that speed but the main point was that I wanted to know if there’s any actual danger of getting it patched, as I said at the start I didn’t want to have to replace a tyre because they’re not even 50% worn, and replacing two tyres that are barely worn isn’t a nice thought

I wanted to see if it was limited to 155, turns out it’s not (if electronic speedo was correct)
Yeah, was on a ‘runway’

This ^^

And no, it most likely won't perform as if it was never punctured as it has had a puncture. I had a patch put into a near new PS4 and it's never caused an issue around the speed limit. As for 160 mph...

When you say ‘around the speed limit’ what are you meaning, the car doesn’t even get driven much but on occasion we have some fun with it, don’t want to have some fun and it goes bang

For normal road driving a puncture repair , if done properly will have no adverse effect on the tyre.
However if your going to use the car to it’s Max on a track or German motorway then you’ll need a new tyre for a piece of mind, it’s as simple as that.

For normal road driving a puncture repair , if done properly will have no adverse effect on the tyre.
However if your going to use the car to it’s Max on a track or German motorway then you’ll need a new tyre for a piece of mind, it’s as simple as that.

Cheers mate, it isn’t drive hard very much, but does get some nice action on some nice back roads, it’s been done by a very reputable garage that will have given me the best treatment they can ;)
Looking at getting 19’s anyway before next time the car is pushed hard