Help Please Pump cuts out when refuelling. Neck to fuel tank has been damaged.

RichardU

Reaction score
A while ago I had stretched a pump across the car to refuel. When I removed the pump there was a crack and several plastic rings came away and were left around the pump nozzle.

The result was I had to get a specific angel on the pump when refuelling to avoid it cutting out. So not a big problem.

About 2 weeks ago I was refuelling and a further piece of plastic came off - this time it fell down the neck of the fuel tank. Since then fuel pumps will cut off unless I'm barely squeezing the trigger - 5+ mins to put £20 of diesel in plus a cramping hand from trying to barely put any pressure on the trigger.

Local Audi guy advised fishing the piece out with some wire, which I am going to attempt today. If I can then start refuelling more normally then all is good in the world but I fear it might not be that simple.

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the missing parts in the fuel tank neck? Dealer advised I probably need a new fuel tank for £1000+

Thanks.

Not going to be much help, but you can pick up usb cameras that connect to your phone for a few quid to get a look down there.

Reactions: RichardU
Had a quick look on the parts listing for the fuel tank. Do you have a diesel or petrol?. Saloon or Avant ?
https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a4+avant/a4/2012-636/2/201-201002/#29
The diesel has a misfuel protection kit that is replaceable. Is this what broke ?
Seems to have a few different part numbers. And comes with some plastic tools to remove it.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-...ction-Repair-Kit-New-8K0298112D-/173290792726
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mis-Fuel...sel-8K0298112A-New-Genuine-Audi/113340257725?

You need to fish out the part that is now blocking the pipe, as mentioned above you can get USB endescope for an android phone pretty cheaply.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5M-Mini-...cro-USB-Inspection-Video-Camera/283317182350?
You could then work out whats blocking the pipe and hopefully fish it out .
If it's the metal part in the pipe that may come back out with a nice strong magnet on a string.

Thanks, that's brilliant!

It's a B8 2.0 tdi Avant - 2015 plate.

I've ordered an endoscope camera to get a look and see what's down there. Great to know there's a replacement part. I think it probably is the mis fueling part that has broken.

Been having nightmares about having to replace the whole fuel tank in January!

UPDATE - I managed to use a hook fashioned from a kitchen skewer to dislodge the piece blocking the neck. However one piece pinged out onto the ground and a larger piece slid all the way back down.

I have an idea of how to remove this but thought I might run it past you guys first...

I have a length of plastic tubing which is long enough to reach all the way down to the end of the neck - the other end of this tube fits snugly round the cordless hoover. I'm thinking of trying to suck the small piece of plastic onto the end of the tube then slowly bring the plastic tube out of the neck hoping the plastic will come with it.

I'm concerned that the next time if refuel the plastic may be forced through into the tank - is that a possibility?

You could try that but just make sure you don't force the piece any further down . TBH if a large piece of plastic made it into the tank it wouldn't cause any harm. I am not sure if the B8 has an anti siphon tank, they have a mesh or obstruction in the pipe that stops you from inserting a pipe to siphon the fuel, This would stop anything big going down into the tank. Your issue is if it restricts diesel in the pipe you are back to 20 minute fill ups.
Definitely wouldn't try a vacuum with a petrol car, fumes may possibly ignite in the vacuum with lots of air and sparks from the motor brushes. Should be OK with a diesel.