Pulling away from stationary delay

thefunkygibbon

Reaction score
Hi, all, ok so this is my first Auto car (s5) , and I must say that i'm a little concerned about the delay when pulling away.
for example at a roundabout or a junction and you see a gap to come out in, push down the peddle and there is about a half second to a second delay before anything really starts to happen. I am finding that it a bit of a concern if there is only a small opportunity to pull out. This is from a warm engine or cold, already on (not in start/stop), in any "mode". and it gets a bit annoying that I end up putting foot down a bit too much and the jolt forward after the initial delay is quite substantial (and potentially unsafe...as most of the time I don't expect it)

Is this normal for auto cars (or this car) and i just need to bear it in mind? or am i doing something wrong? could there be an issue with the car?

thanks in advance, I hope i was clear enough

Pretty normal. What I do in my S3 if I need a really quick get away is to switch off hill hold and stop start, switch the gearbox to sport and then as soon as you take your foot off the brake the gearbox should pull you forward and off you go. However to be honest most autos will have the delay you mention, you just need to make an adjustment to your driving. Also my car (and your S5) has so much power that once underway you should have no issue keeping ahead of traffic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed this when I moved over to my first auto too. I found that if you kept your foot on the brake pedal but released the pressure a little so that it was close to taking your foot off, the revs would raise a little and the car would be more primed and ready to nip in a gap etc.

I too am getting used to this new style of driving.

I've found the other side of this is the err nothing is happening to whooooaa !!

I found the issue is a combination of an auto with a turbo. Had it a lot in my previous 2.0TFSI A5 Auto.

However, when I moved to my Supercharged S5...no problems whatsoever.

I was worried what the move back to turbocharged for the S5 would mean this issue came back and it seems that it does. Such a big fan of supercharged engines....

I'll let you know for sure in 2 days

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: thefunkygibbon
I have this issue on my Audi S3, thus why I brought a pedal box and it took the safety delay off :).

yeah i was thinking that a pedal box might help. what sort of £££ do they set you back? does it make a lot of difference other than pulling away like that?

For me i hated the lag in the throttle and pedal box took that away. You can adjust the sensitivity to your liking. Brand new they are around 170-240. I picked a second hand DTUK one from the forums for around £70.

Do they have to be specifically tuned to your make/model or are they essentially generic?

I've got a tmc Motorsport tuning box for my cupra (which i am selling.) They've offered to reflash and give me a new cable for about 180.

Do they have to be specifically tuned to your make/model or are they essentially generic?

I've got a tmc Motorsport tuning box for my cupra (which i am selling.) They've offered to reflash and give me a new cable for about 180.

It will have to be for your specific car. All audi connections should be similar.