Puddle Lights Problem

Reaction score
i recently bought the LED interior kit for my Facelift A3 from EM Tuning which i have to say i absolutely love. Had a look at the puddle and red door lights and realised that they are not working. after hours of tinkering i found out that the negatives are good but the is no power going to both sides. Tried to follow the cable back but lost it in the loom, Searched around loads to try and get some information about it i've seen that there is a relay somewhere for it but don't know if it applys to my car. Would love some more info about it if someone knows more about it. Thanks.

LED's are polarised... you may need to swap them round to get them to work...

<tuffty/>

ahh sorry i was meant to put that they are not working before i put the LED's in. i checked the bulbs and none of them are blown, i did see something about it being a faulty lock mechanism but everything else seems to work fine. only thing that i have noticed is if i have the passenger door open the picture show both doors being open. cheers for the quick reply tuffty

have you tried normal bulbs in? I had a few issues with the bulb holder connections which needed a little tweaking to get them working properly..

<tuffty/>

have you tried normal bulbs in? I had a few issues with the bulb holder connections which needed a little tweaking to get them working properly..

<tuffty/>

i fiddled around with it quite alot earlier, tried sawping the bulbs changing the bulb holder. then removed the door car and used a multimeter on the 2 pin connector to check for any voltage but couldn't get nothing, also checked the continuity of the negative but that seemed fine.

yeah there's the two pin connector (i believe one wire is red and one is yellow) in the door card harness. check that is attached properly.

if not maybe it's a grounding issue where the heatsink of the LED's (i'm not sure what style Trup's puddle lights are) are touching somewhere on the puddle light globe holder where they should not be and a fuse has been blown or the LED is blown due to shorting

yeah there's the two pin connector (i believe one wire is red and one is yellow) in the door card harness. check that is attached properly.

if not maybe it's a grounding issue where the heatsink of the LED's (i'm not sure what style Trup's puddle lights are) are touching somewhere on the puddle light globe holder where they should not be and a fuse has been blown or the LED is blown due to shorting

iv'e pulled the foam off my door card and checked all the wiring there and everything is fine on that end, i have tested the ground with my multimeter and that was ok. lastly i followed the power cable though the door to the cabin and tested for a 12v there but still no luck, then tried to follow through the loom but couldn't do because of all the loom tape. then ran out of idea on what to do next as i couldn't figure out where that cable comes from.

added a picture of where the cable comes to in the cabin.

Cheers for the reply IanPG

Attachments

• edit_2.jpg
    edit_2.jpg
    953.8 KB · Views: 1,268
i think you're making it more complicated than needed...

i believe the LED's should fit elswhere int he car. like in the boot lights or glovebox light or overhead lights. Do they work in there? Switch back in OEM bulbs. do they still work?

i think you're making it more complicated than needed...

i believe the LED's should fit elswhere int he car. like in the boot lights or glovebox light or overhead lights. Do they work in there? Switch back in OEM bulbs. do they still work?

umm... well the bulbs were not working before hand so i need to fix it them i can install LEDs into it. I have only gone so far because i have ran out of ideas as to why there is no power going to the bulbs. Im not sure if i would be able to get any information about if i plugged a VCDS in it but don't have one to try.

nah you won't get anything from VCDS - try find a bulb from somewhere else in the car that is the same size

i'm pretty sure the boot light globes and one pair of the over head light globes are the same size

nah you won't get anything from VCDS - try find a bulb from somewhere else in the car that is the same size

i'm pretty sure the boot light globes and one pair of the over head light globes are the same size

got the light from the boot and tried it in the door but still no luck, also tried the door bulbs in the boot and they all work. Just don't know why the doors are not getting a 12v supply.

Was just fiddling around and I have discovered that when the door is shut it is getting a 12v signal and the bulbs must be on, but the second I close the door is goes away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok another update. The 12v supply stays there when I pull the door handle but the second I open the door, even just a little bit the power supply goes away.

Might sound crazy but if it is a relay that controls the door lights is there a possibility that it is put in the wrong way. Seeing that it is giving a power supply at opposite when it's meant to eg. Power when door is closed but off when it's open.

I got frustrated with it in the end and pulled the bulb harness from the door card. Testing for power I have found out with the bulb holders plugged in with no bulbs it supply's the 12v properly but if on bulb is in then the bulb doesn't light up and the other holder gets like 2v. I tried putting in one LED in and I opened the door and go a second it flashed on and I heard a click near the steering wheel so would point to a relay. So it's looking like a faulty relay of some sort, I will continue to try and solve this very annoying problem

check your fuse box?

the click sounds like you blew a fuse....

check your fuse box?

the click sounds like you blew a fuse....

Yea I did check it but all was fine and the flash and click is repeatable.

One strange thing I noticed is if I had all the bulbs in when I opened my passenger door the display would show both doors open but if I took out a bulb from the drivers side door I would correct itself and only show the passenger door being open. I've had that problem since I've had the car but it's looking like it might be related to what's happening so maybe something to do with the locking mechanism.

whhhaaaaaat the ffffuuuuuuudddgggeee LOL

you have many gremlins doing some dodgy work ;)

Reactions: ToughlilT
i don't know where it is but maybe there a microswitch that needs cleaning or replacing

whhhaaaaaat the ffffuuuuuuudddgggeee LOL

you have many gremlins doing some dodgy work ;)

Hahaha don't I know it, driving me maaaaad....

I'm sure I'll eventually get to the bottom of it

i don't know where it is but maybe there a microswitch that needs cleaning or replacing

Yea, that's what I'm guessing. Thankfully another free day tomorrow for more hunting

Not sure if that's a good thing or not

Yea, that's what I'm guessing. Thankfully another free day tomorrow for more hunting

Not sure if that's a good thing or not

I know this was years ago, but did you ever get your puddle light fixed? I'm having a similar problem.

I know this was years ago, but did you ever get your puddle light fixed? I'm having a similar problem.
sadly not, I had a few more looks around and still found nothing. I was going to take it to an auto electrician but ended up selling it to go for an S3 a couple months after, Thankfully the puddle lights work properly in this car :sweatsmile: Looking back on it my best guess would be a break in the wires somewhere but who knows :shrug:

Reactions: Ean1879