PSP GAMES reviews

B

bainsyboy

Any suggestions of good games for the psp, must admit enjoying medievil, metal gear acid is complete pants.

Get the 2.0 to 1.5 downgrader and fill your memory stick with homebrew and emulators.

Emulators are applications you can run on your PSP once you've downgraded the firmware
to 1.5. You get different emulators to emulate different machines, such as the commodore64,
sega megadrive, snes, gba etc. You can then download pretty much any game (ROMs) ever
made for these consoles and handhelds and play them through these applications.
Have a look through www.pspupdates.com, it has all the info and files you need to do this.

Homebrew is code people have published to run on the PSP, some things are completely
original and some are conversions of old pc progams and games like Quake and Doom.
Sony obviously dont like hombrew as they get no money for this.

Neil thanks for advice, ill have a look, only prob ive got with psp is volume on speakers and via headphones, are there any fixes for this?

If you mean that music isn't loud enough, then you will have to get hold of an mp3 editing
program and increase the volume by changing the tracks amplitude to something like 110%.
Pain in the a$$ though as you need to do it for each track, unless you can find a program that
can do a job lot at a time. I wonder if its a helath and safety thing because my vaio laptop can't
play loud enough through headphones either?

It isn't that bad, just make sure you follow the instructions step by step, and definately do not
install firmware version 2.01 when it is released!!!

Just downgraded from 2.0 to 1.5....fan ****** tastic....got the emulators and iso's sorted and the world is my oyster with it now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Get a 1gb memory stick and there are tons of stuff that can be done with firmware 1.5 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

someone at work said that i shouldnt have installed the 2.0 firmware, whats the difference? and how can i go back to 1.5.

All UK PSPs were shipped with 2.0 which is more secure than 1.5 and so does not allow
software that sony didnt authorise to be run on it, plus it has a web browser.
1.5 had more bugs in it which in no way affected the operation of the PSP, but allowed unauthorised code to be run.

Version 2.0 was found to have a small bug which could be exploited to downgrade from 2.0 to 1.5 with no problems,
other than loosing the web browser feature. The downgrade process is well documented in the pspupdates website
and all the files you need can be downloaded from there too.

Version 2.01 is on the way and will be shipped with newer PSPs, this will not be exploitable in the same way
so it may take a long time to get homebrew and emulators running on those PSPs.

I have just purchased a PSP in Hong Kong while on Holiday, couldn't resist at £125. It's the Jap version, 1000k model. It has firmware version 1.51. will this allow me to run the emulators?

You need to upgrade to 2.0 then downgrade to 1.5 using the downgrader....then u can run the emulators and isos as well as the homebrew stuff...

has any one bought any decent games for there psp yet, i think the machine has been let down big time so far by crap games,

I have Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories on my Chrimbo list! Has had superb reviews so far. Even has a multi player option if you know others with PSPs, so you can connect via Wi-Fi.

cj, medevil and toca racing is good, stear clear of metal gear, its nowt like the original. Coded arms ( think thats what its called) is naff like wise with the star wars game that has just come out, grand theft supposed to be good but cant comment.
I think the problem with some of the games is that i think they think you have 4 hands for all the controls you need to play some of the games.

Thanks Bainsyboy...... i reckon GTASA is definately on the xmas list and i will need a driving one too so TOCA sounds a good bet. Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Took delivery of my PSP today after a delay of over a 3 weeks!!! Looks great have put Star Wars III on the memory card already and it plays fantastic. Will be getting GTA Liberty City tomorrow hopefully. If any of you need software which rips movies and converts them to MP4 then give me a shout.

CJ let us know what GTA is like, not sure how old you are but if like me your getting on in years, namco classics is good, pac man, galaxians etc on it, ive found the battery extender prolongs the battery and at £14 isnt bad value, ive found though that i get pains in my left hand if i play for too long, must admit though sony have come out with another good bit of kit

Bainsyboy GTA is great mate very addictive i have finished all the missions and am just in the process of collecting all the hidden packages. Just wish the missions lasted a bit longer...they are finished by 42% which i reckon is a bit crap ...but all in all its a must for the PSP..fantastic!!!

p.s im 29 but still 18 at heart /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

CJ cheers, paper gave it a real good review as well, so looks like thats my next purchase, your still young at 29 im nearly 40 and still playing playstation, lol nephew thinks im well cool as i show him how to do most of his games, King Kong one looked good on ps2 that he got for crimbo

I think i'll always play games mate...i always loved computer games ever since i can remember back to the old Atari 2600 my speccy 48k+ the Amstrads and Commodores /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Roll on the PS3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

I'm also totally addicted to GTA as well. Got it for Chrimbo and have invested a fair few hours of my life into it. I also got Metal Gear Acid, but haven't got into it at all yet. Seems to take so long to get going with all the dialogue at the start, and then confuses me with all the cards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I have always been a big fan of pick up and play games. My hint for a classic pick up and play game that is highly addictive is Pocket Bobble. It's based on Bust a Move, which was on the PS1. I don't have it yet but am getting it soon from Japan via eBay, as I can't find it anywhere over here!

Bloke654 tell us how you get on with metal gear as ive tried to play but think it sh-te, be interesting to know what you think of it and may make me try again with it

defo agree with the homebrew option, I bought mine over a year ago and only upgraded to play GTA LS which is superb but have since downgraded for the classic snes and pcengine games which are class!!! sensible soccer - (snes emu) and wonderboy in monsterland (pcengine emu) are the db's!!

As for PSP games Need for speed rivals is much better than most wanted and it pains me to say that Fifa 06 is also more playable than Pro Evo 5.

Played GTA LCS on a WiFi link up game with my Brother-in-law at the weekend. WOW! lets you play against each other in various different scenarios. I like the one where you are just trying to kill each other! After you are killed you are reborn elswhere on the map and have to find weapons quick before you're hunted down again!. There are also racing options, or games where you work together. The WiFi link up was superb. Unfortunately he lives in Hong Kong and flew back on Monday, so am now hastling all the boys to buy a PSP and GTA!

Just bought the Tom Clancy splinter cell and looks very impressive, Outrun 2006 i think is c--p stick with toca, still havent got round to getting GTA

BTW, if you've got GTA then you can use the new homebrew on the v2 firmware, so you no longer need to downgrade...

I'm off on my hols to Malaysia in a couple of weeks and am after a new game to keep me occupied on the plane. Anyone played the new Worms game? or how about Bust a Move Ghost? torn between the two at the moment as previous PS1 versions were both absolute pick-up-and-play classics!

Still going strong on GTA. Only 35% complete though as I tend to spend more time seeing how many stars I can pick up. Love shooting down choppers with a rocket launcher!

Splinter cell, full day playing and WOW adictive very good, some flaws in it, like the old playstation games, when you creep up to a room if you move slowly you can see whats in the room ( if that makes sense ) mad cheers for advice, ill have to get a paperround soon as im after GTA worms and Tomb Raider which is due out in 3 weeks, Still reckon so far Medievil toca and now splinter cell are the best games oh and the namco classics well worth the dosh, worst games metal gear, pinball game and coded arms.

bainsyboy said:
cj, medevil and toca racing is good, stear clear of metal gear, its nowt like the original. Coded arms ( think thats what its called) is naff like wise with the star wars game that has just come out, grand theft supposed to be good but cant comment.
I think the problem with some of the games is that i think they think you have 4 hands for all the controls you need to play some of the games.

Yeah toca race driver 2 is great, difficult though. Awesome with two player using wifi, pro evo 5 is also good but hard and lumines is quite catchy for something you can just pick up and play for 10 mins!!

yes but if we have the headphones on we will not hear our managers sneaking up on us, your not thinking logically