PSA: Milltek Catback Exhaust System - Pre-Facelift RS3 8V

Aoon_M

Reaction score
Thought I'd make this post to clear a few things up regarding RS3 8v (pre facelift) and exhaust systems.

Do NOT even think about buying the Milltek system for the pre facelift RS3 8V. If you want a sports exhaust system, get in touch and I will source you one. They are the same price.

The sports exhaust is better tenfold, I bought the Milltek system and after being severely disappointed with the welds and flow dynamics of the Milltek system, I passed it onto a friend un used who had a standard system as a favour. Straight away, it never sounded anywhere near as good as my sports exhaust system, the pops and bangs are quieter and the note is slightly deeper, but not louder. We recently took a trip down south and had to drive down in 6th gear to stop us ripping our ears out, the system is very droney and the flaps don't make much of a difference like the sports exhaust flaps do. In comparison I have zero drone on my fully decatted sports exhaust system, regardless of whether flaps are open or closed.

There is absolutely no reason to pick the Milltek over the Sports system, my own car ran 670hp with the factory sports exhaust untouched. That demands serious airflow and it is questionable whether it is restrictive at all. My friends over at Iroz motorsports found nothing to be gained on a facelift car running the sports system vs running no system at all on a car with 500hp.

Worst mistake of my life buying that system. Have had no end of issues with the ****** thing. The box has failed two times in 5 months. Baffles collapsed on the first box and then the valves seized solid on the second box.

Milltek have been absolutely disgusting to deal with ontop of that, long story short they try extremely hard to wriggle out of any warranty claim.

First time round they requested my V5, receipt, ID etc of the car and then said as the system had been fitted on a friends car (black as per the video of the failed baffles I sent them), and not my own car (grey, as per my v5 and registered to my name and receipt etc) they wouldn't be covering it under warranty as it hadn't been fitted to my own car. Why on earth does that even matter, I paid for the piece of crap so why does it matter who's car I fit it to. The first box was fitted in March and failed around June, I was pretty angry that they refused a warranty claim on a £1400 system. My friends S3 8V system had also funnily enough failed around the same time, so we took the backboxes along with us to VAG-TUNER and dumped it on their stand and had a long chat with them. Safe to say both boxes turned up in the mail a week later.

Second time round the valves seized solid on the replacement backbox and once again they refused to cover it under warranty, to be clear, this box was fitted in early August and failed late September. I've given up chasing them to replace the box. Their customer service is shocking, no wonder someone burned down their trailer a few years back.

Will never deal with this shambles of a company ever again, extremely rude and dissapointing to see them treating someone like this regarded highly of in the tuning scene. The tuning world is very very small. Good luck to all consumers submitting warranty claims.

Rant over.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimojameso, THQuattro and DW81
I had the exact same failure ≠2 but not as bad as that and they covered it by sending me a new backbox and it was fast delivered to Sweden. It took coupled of days to arrive here which was amasingly nice service. I was prepared for the worst but I was wrong.

Aoon_M experince was horrible in all ways and companies shouldn’t act like that at all if they want to keep their customers and service as we expect. I understand his frustation.

My Miltek on my Rs drones really bad so want to go custom as soon as I can afford it.

The rumour was the standard Audi sports exhaust was hard if not impossible to beat by the aftermarket scene. Seems to be the case reading this.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

The rumour was the standard Audi sports exhaust was hard if not impossible to beat by the aftermarket scene. Seems to be the case reading this.

TX.

I’m waiting for a trial to be done and am considering putting the PFL backbox on the FL, dependent on what difference it makes.

Reactions: Aoon_M
Interesting experiment AN.

TX.

Interesting experiment AN.

TX.

I’ve been told by the forums biggest 5-pot fan that the crossover pipe between the two tailpipes is missing on the FL exhaust otherwise it looks identical. He’s confident this is causing a lot of the sound dampening, so I am very interested to see the outcome when it is eventually tested.

I thought the pops and bangs were the way the old ecu sent unburnt fuel back down the exhaust? Or am I chatting s...

Do NOT even think about buying the Milltek system for the pre facelift RS3 8V. If you want a sports exhaust system, get in touch and I will source you one. They are the same price.

I was that person, confused about the best system to get for my newly bought PFL.
From @Aoon_M posts and other it was clear that the original system was superior.
I got in touch with Aoon and he supplied a brand new, boxed, OEM Audi Sports Exhaust and it is ****** GREAT.

I can therefore vouch for Aoon and his service.

I can't believe anybody would want more noise than this exhaust. I have already been stopped by the police due to the sound. Seriously.

Reactions: Aoon_M and DW81
Quality will be no better. Wait and see if the PFL backbox helps on the FL. Or go Armytrix.

Armytrix will take ages to get one made and released no doubt. I’m needing one right away as I didn’t tick the sport box option as it was not much louder so chose to go down the aftermarket route

Apologies but i have 2016 is it a pfl or fl what is the difference?

You think Akrapovic will produce one for mine

You have PFL mate. They may do but would imagine it ain’t going to be cheap. Save your penny’s and just buy a sports one from Audi if you can

I removed the Audi sports one the car came with and fitted the Milltek.

The Audi one is somewhere in the shed !

I see, for what it’s worth I would refit it as from I can gather the oem sports one is better than the aftermarket ones out there mate, but like all things it’s upto what you do and credit to you for experimenting in other products

I bought the milltek not knowing how good the Audi one was.

I think I’ll fit the audi and sell the milltek

Reactions: DW81
Even still 9k on a ****** exhaust system ‘insane in the membrane’

You should have heard

Totally different to anything you normally hear get thrashed up and down the street.

If I started it in dynamic mode it would set car alarms of in an underground car park

Reactions: DW81
You just answered your own question
Lol

I didn’t visit this site at all back then.
I didn’t realise the wealth of knowledge to be had on here

Reactions: Terminator x
I am surprised that Milltek do not represent themselves on this - and maybe other - forums of cars they expect to get high sales from, to either defend themselves or ask for a chance to put it right.

I can see their point if the get a one off complaint from an off-the-street user, but every forum has a handful of enthusiasts who are well respected and followed on the forum. These people are the ones who suppliers do not want to upset as appears the case here!

Milltek were offering a 15% Black Friday discount that co-incided nicely with my plans to ditch the warranty and go all out and have some 'fun' with the car. After Aoon's post, I quickly crossed a full Milltek system off the list! I actually mailed them on Monday saying that I was about to buy but at last minute voted with my feet, but no reply! I guess they have enough income from the Ford RS fraternity not to worry about what is going on here..

Thankfully, no similar scathing posts on my next item: Forge..

Forge are one of the nicest companies to deal with post purchase in this scene.

The irony is Milltek know who I am, they know my car. I spoke to them in depth about the issue at Vag Tuner and bumped into their representative at MRC when I was there. If they want to act like this behind a keyboard then so be it, jokes on them.

I am surprised that Milltek do not represent themselves on this - and maybe other - forums of cars they expect to get high sales from, to either defend themselves or ask for a chance to put it right.

I can see their point if the get a one off complaint from an off-the-street user, but every forum has a handful of enthusiasts who are well respected and followed on the forum. These people are the ones who suppliers do not want to upset as appears the case here!

Milltek were offering a 15% Black Friday discount that co-incided nicely with my plans to ditch the warranty and go all out and have some 'fun' with the car. After Aoon's post, I quickly crossed a full Milltek system off the list! I actually mailed them on Monday saying that I was about to buy but at last minute voted with my feet, but no reply! I guess they have enough income from the Ford RS fraternity not to worry about what is going on here..

Thankfully, no similar scathing posts on my next item: Forge..

I am in the exact same position as you Hal. I messaged them and told them I want to purchase one and they said I will get the Black Friday deal carried on since I messaged in this time frame but now I’m so unsure after what I’ve read. I was going to go for the full system as well. Don’t know what other exhaust manufacturers are decent

It is really up to you. Have you actually paid anything? No problem if you have because you can use the cooling off rule if you want your money back - assuming the purchase was on line.

My take now, having read what Aoon's comments is maybe to forget the exhaust and put the money towrds some tweaks to the oem exhaust - bypass pipes and/or valve controllers. In my case I am not looking for noise, but something towards some extra bhp.

Reactions: AudiNutta and billymc92
It is really up to you. Have you actually paid anything? No problem if you have because you can use the cooling off rule if you want your money back - assuming the purchase was on line.

My take now, having read what Aoon's comments is maybe to forget the exhaust and put the money towrds some tweaks to the oem exhaust - bypass pipes and/or valve controllers. In my case I am not looking for noise, but something towards some extra bhp.

Nope not paid anything towards it so won’t lose out on anything. Only problem I have is that because I didn’t think there was much extra sound with the sports exhaust I just specced the standard exhaust and now I don’t want a quiet car and worried miltek will be the only good exhaust out for at least a few months

Nope not paid anything towards it so won’t lose out on anything. Only problem I have is that because I didn’t think there was much extra sound with the sports exhaust I just specced the standard exhaust and now I don’t want a quiet car and worried miltek will be the only good exhaust out for at least a few months

There is a fair bit of extra sounds with the sports system, especially low speed and at full chat it’s unreal.
I’ve driven a car with the standard system for 450 miles, it isn’t quiet but it isn’t the sports system.

I’m putting the akrapovic Audi Sport titanium exhaust on the ttrs

I would fit an Akropovic on mine tomorrow if it was available, according to one of their UK distributors they are in the process of making one but it could still be 12 months away.

I'm getting the Milltek removed and the Sports exhaust re-fitted in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: Aoon_M
I’m needing an exhaust ASAP. Open to suggestions now that Miltek is out the window. Aoon says the PFL sports exhaust will fit straight on the FL so if that’s the case will be so much easier to find an aftermarket one