PS3......Slim or chunky????

floyd 1.8 turbo

Mirror, Signal, Outmanoeuvre
Reaction score
I've just bought a brand new in the box 120gb PS3. I got it for £150 from a friend of a friend, bargain eh!, well happy.

Was just looking at them on various internet sites to see how much they went for and all the 120 gig one's are slim. Now, on the box i have it doesn't say slim anywhere.

Do i have a slim one?....(ps3 that is haha)

The slim ps3's are a matt black, the fat ones are super shiny, and are huge! google pictures, they lok quite different, and it should be pretty obvious :)

Either way, you got a top machine and you'll love it!

I prefer the big one myself, I have one and I love the way it looks. Sleek and sexy....

If you have lots of room, get a big one. If you don't, get a small one....

Nothing like a bit of useless advice.....:)

This is right, and I don't get why.

I have a 120 GB big PS3, but thats only because I fitted myself to install Linux and use it as a PC as well as a games console.

Same here, although I don't run linux yet. I just used the hdd out of my macbook in my ps3, so now have plenty of room. And i agree, it's the big shiny one that i prefer :wub:

Yeah, I'd heard that was the one to get. I still don't have a HD tv, but occassionally I take it upstairs to my 20" monitor, so linux would be good on that. I was planning on getting a new tv for christmas, but since I just bought an A4 the good lady wife is kicking off about money, pah! How many handbags does she own!!!!

I'll get downloading the Yellow Dog distro today though on university servers, and might give it an install tomorrow, you've inspired me.

I'll get downloading the Yellow Dog distro today though on university servers, and might give it an install tomorrow, you've inspired me.

Scandalous.... but I like it.

My favourite is getting on Limewire through a VPN using the host's internet gateway... My IP address is then untraceable.... :asskicking:

Ok it's a slim i have then, thanks chaps.

A techno wizard friend of mine is gonna put a hard-drive on it then put a shed load of films on it for me, all in blu ray on 42 inch's of samsung HD beauty!!! :hubbahubba:

One off play.com for 40 squids????

Got Colin Mcrae dirt for it yesterday, verdict....crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scandalous.... but I like it.

My favourite is getting on Limewire through a VPN using the host's internet gateway... My IP address is then untraceable.... :asskicking:

You my man...are rather crafty! Linux took me a whole 15mins to download at uni...it'd have taken me ages at home!

Hmmm, the slimline ps3...Sony has actually decided to release a cheap Chinese knockoff of their own product. Without actually making it cheap of course and continuing their course of gradually crippling the device until all it will be able to do is charge your creditcard at random intervals.

(That is coming in the upcoming firmware). First they take away 2 USB ports. Then they take away hardware ps2 support. Then they take away software ps2 emulation. Now they take away Linux and any resemblense it had to a £250 piece of entertainment equipment. The only thing it has going for it is the processor and that can only take an electronic device so far. Lol.

The slimline ps3 is an Audi RS4 without recaro leather seats, without twin exhausts, without rs4 styling they tinkered with the engine but left the badges and the original price tag.

I will keep my old one thanks

l second that Dazmo. People wanted cheaper PS3s but they took away the stuff they thought people wouldnt use.

The slimline ps3 is an Audi RS4 without recaro leather seats, without twin exhausts, without rs4 styling they tinkered with the engine but left the badges and the original price tag....

So what you're saying is that the new slim-PS3 is a sleeper then...I like it :)

But in all seriousness, I do personally prefer the shiny glossy look of the original PS3, and the ability to install Linux (which I have yet to do however).

So what you're saying is that the new slim-PS3 is a sleeper then...I like it :)

But in all seriousness, I do personally prefer the shiny glossy look of the original PS3, and the ability to install Linux (which I have yet to do however).

Linux? whats this
Installed Vidzone from the playstation network, its great you can play all the latest music videos through it :)

Linux is an operating system, kindof like windows. If you install Linux on your PS3 you'll be able to plug a keyboard and mouse in, and use your PS3 as a home computer. It will be like a Dual-Boot machine, so you won't lose any of your PS3 capabilities. But you can't do both at once...if that makes any sense?

Welly has done it, so he'd be the best person for advice though. I have downloaded it, but not got around to installing it yet.

lve thought about this for sometime but as usual havent got round to it.

Yup, same with me. My main reason is because my TV is only SD, so no point using it on that. I do occassionally play it on my monitor upstairs, but on that odd occassion, I just wanna play games and not install Linux :)

Just dropped off the ps3 to my mate, He's gonna put a 320 gb hard drive in it and a shed load of films.....all good!

The worst thing is, that now you cannot change the standard 250gb hardrive so your stuck with it, in the older console you can put anything up to a terabyte in there.

And if you fill that swap it out for a new one! but at least you had the choice!

The worst thing is, that now you cannot change the standard 250gb hardrive so your stuck with it, in the older console you can put anything up to a terabyte in there.

And if you fill that swap it out for a new one! but at least you had the choice!

Really? :wtf: Why do Sony insist on removing the best features...the new slim PS3 is so much more basic than the original 60gb, it's crazy.

Ah well.

The slim and the chunky are essentially the same, the mian changes are that the slim one uses a more energy efficient processor that reduces the amount of heat the thing produces so the case needs less room for cooling. The chunky one and the slim can both have HDD changed. I have a chunky with a 500Gb drive in, and the same process changes the slim. Look on youtube to see method.

Only the early 60Gb UK model had a great deal of other options, those being memory card reader and 2 extra USB ports.

If you're buying either a chunk or a slim, it has to be in plenty of free air, not in a TV unit or under something, it'll cook!

Noooo, the slim one has quite a few features removed. One major one is the lack ability to install Linux anymore (unless this has changed). That alone sucks pretty bad.

A new efficient processor is pretty cool though I must admit. Let's go greener and all. I have had mine in a tv cabinet ever since i owned it, and not had a sausage of problems with it (if it dies tonight i'm going to cry though).