Protective rubber boot mat?

Mikey

Reaction score
Im starting to carry a lot of heavy stuff in the boot nower days and it seems to be digging into the boot carpert and leaving dug in marks so i think its about time i got some kind of protective mat. Anyone got any pics of a genuine or none-geniune protective boot mat for the new a3? Price too if poss?

I had a good set of rubber floor mats that I bought for my last non-Audi about 5 years ago. When I bought my first A3 I kept the mats and put the two front mats in the boot - the passenger one on the passenger side and the driver's one on the driver's side. They fit perfectly and cover the whole boot floor of a 3 door. When I sold it at the end of last year I removed the mats and the boot floor was good as new. I now have them in my current A3. They also makes it very easy to keep the boot clean as I just take the mats out and shake the dust off them.

I can't remember how much they were - they weren't cheap, but they weren't that dear either.

I can supply a photo if you want.

I have the flexible load liner in my Passat, and the Mrs has the rigid load liner in her MkIV GTi. Both do a good kob of keeping the boot space "as new", with the flexible one being a lot easier to remove, clean, shake of dust etc. due to its flexibility.

I can happily recommend them both, however if you are the sort who will use the split fold seats or through load a lot then the rigid liner does get in the way, as the lip is about 10 inches high, where as the flexi is only about 2 inches.

I've got the reversible boot mat in mine and had it in the last one too and I find it indespensible.

Folds either way with carpet or rubber on the outside and can be opened out to cover the entire load area with the rear seats down for big loads or trips to the tip.

I have seen the official Audi flexible liner and I have to say that it does not look very robust. Sharp items would certainly cut it. Might be worth £5 but certainly not £40!

prt

A few years ago I got a Cannon boot mat from Halfords that you cut to fit your car. Proper heavy duty rubber and it's seen me through two MKIV Golfs, an Octavia and now the A3. Fits just fine :) I carry quite a few heavy items and quite often chemicals. Never had a problem.

http://www.cannoncarmats.co.uk/index.php

Mikey said:
just had a peep at that and it did sound/look promising untill i read it was foam, and did a search on here - people who have it say its crap! But many thanks for pointing it out to me. Much appreciated.

Just found these guys after a quick google search: http://www.boot-liner.com/index.html they do one for the A3 8P.

Just bear in mind that their rubbers mats will have quite a pungent aroma for a while, which could be a bit over powering in the confines of the car.

true, very true. will have to blast it with the CG watermelon air freshner!

Mikey said:
just had a peep at that and it did sound/look promising untill i read it was foam, and did a search on here - people who have it say its crap! But many thanks for pointing it out to me. Much appreciated.

Just found these guys after a quick google search: http://www.boot-liner.com/index.html they do one for the A3 8P.

prt57 said:
I have seen the official Audi flexible liner and I have to say that it does not look very robust. Sharp items would certainly cut it. Might be worth £5 but certainly not £40!

prt

I have had one of the VAG flexible liners fitted in my Passat for 8 years now, and it has been excellent. Whilst it has plenty of marks on it, it has not pierced or torn, and is the perfect fit for the model.

I will not hesitate to buy one for my S3.

normski, the one that I saw was in the white A3 in the showroom at Stratford. Just a thought but I have a feeling that it might be for fwd cars only with the different boot profile to the S3.
If you are checking it out with the garage please feel free to correct me on this.

Cheers, prt

I plan to buy one when it arrives so I will let you know mate. I would assume that the boot of the S3 is the same as any quattro 3dr, so I assume that they do one.

rich1068 said:
A few years ago I got a Cannon boot mat from Halfords that you cut to fit your car. Proper heavy duty rubber and it's seen me through two MKIV Golfs, an Octavia and now the A3. Fits just fine :) I carry quite a few heavy items and quite often chemicals. Never had a problem.

http://www.cannoncarmats.co.uk/index.php

I also have the rubber mat (think its a Cannon) bought from Halfords and although its a bit big I haven't bothered cutting it to size I just let it lip up the sides for about 4 inches, It's heavy duty, been great protection for the suff I drag around easy to clean, flexible cos you can transfer it from one car to another and I'd recommend it.

well i ordered one from boot-liner.co.uk on weds night and its arrived 1st thing today (friday) super fast service there. Unpacked it and its a very sturdy deep piece of rubber, 1 problem, it stinks of rubber LOL. Anyway, just fitted it to the 8P's boot and its a perfect fit. Very happy with it.

if you want something cool and custom try www.just-matz.com or co.uk or justmatz

do a google search

they did a group buy for us over at cliosport.net when i was a member - great quality mats but quite expensive!

i might sort out a group buy of custom boot liners once i get my boot build sorted!

Mikey said:
well i ordered one from boot-liner.co.uk on weds night and its arrived 1st thing today (friday) super fast service there. Unpacked it and its a very sturdy deep piece of rubber, 1 problem, it stinks of rubber LOL. Anyway, just fitted it to the 8P's boot and its a perfect fit. Very happy with it.

Any idea if this will fit an A3 8P sportback quattro? Is the boot space different with the 4wd?

normski said:
I plan to buy one when it arrives so I will let you know mate. I would assume that the boot of the S3 is the same as any quattro 3dr, so I assume that they do one.

Can't get the offical Audi one for the S3, as they only do a FWD version...:ermm:

normski said:
Can't get the offical Audi one for the S3, as they only do a FWD version...:ermm:

Strange, I have one in mine, it did come out of my 20TQ admitedly only because I was to tight to fork out another 50 quid for a second one for the S3. It was available on the list of options though.

Mark

Mikey

I have the same mat and mine has been outside for 3 weeks and still stinks. Washing it with neat washing up liquid helps. They do look like good mats though.

I will have another go with more washing up liquid at the weekend

As for the Audi mats, they fit FWD cars only. The Quattro / S3 boot is a different shape (not a lot but different none the less)

James

OK guys - 3 months later and this mat from boot-liner.co.uk still stinks to high heaven to the point that it now has pride of place on my gargae floor.

Has anyone found a good non smelly mat that will fit in a quattro please

normski said:

Hi Normski,

I have the factory (£50) reversible boot mat in my S3. I'll see if there is a part number on it. I can take some pics too, but that"ll be tonight when I get home. Does this help?

Regards, John.

The standard loadliner for the three door is 8P0061160.

VAGParts.com have it for £29.95.

But that is non-reversible and for the non-quattro models. The five door version ends in 0 for FWD and 1 for Quattro, so perhaps the part number you need is 8P0061161? They all appear to be £29.95 though, no matter which model you have.

JohnS3 said:
I have the factory (£50) reversible boot mat in my S3. I'll see if there is a part number on it.

The part number on mine is 8P3 862 559.

Regards, John.