1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Prospective S3 owner from 320d a BMW 320d

J3oef Jan 9, 2020

1. Goner

Goner Guest

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Jcbmally

Jcbmally Started with nothing & still have most of it left.

Like @wab172uk says I would check the other stock and again as others have stated I would not chose the S3 with the BMW on offer. The BMW also has adaptive suspension that make a big difference, yes the interior can be perceived as a little dated but when you consider how much bang for your buck your getting its a small compromise, oh and from experience the BMW seats are very comfy.
    EDIT: Just my opinion fella :thumbs up:

J3oef likes this.
  4. Goner

Goner Guest

This!

I find it very hard to sit upright (as opposed to slouched) in my saloon, mrs BM.. no problem, that is much more comfortable and i find the driving position better too.

Everything else you've said bang on agree with.

J3oef and Jcbmally like this.
  5. wab172uk

wab172uk Now in an X3 M40i

Super Sport seat are excellent. In 5 years I never once complained about mine.

Cash buying isn't what it once was, as they will get a kick back from the finance provider, so it's in their interests to push you towards finance.

There are 1,129 S3's currently on Autotrader. So you're not limited to choice. Unless a dealer is offering at least a 12 month warranty, then maybe look to buy from a private seller. That way paying cash could get you a better deal.

There is very little wrong with the car being advertised. For me choosing against an S3 or M135i / M140i, I'd still buy the S3, as I prefer the looks (both inside and out) and the all weather ability. Might not be as quick in a straight line, but who really cares?

If I was looking to buy that particular S3, I'd be trying to get the price closer to £18,000. If he doesn't play ball, simply walk away. Loads to choose from.

Goner and J3oef like this.
  6. J3oef

J3oef Registered User

:) Now why did you do that? Its completely thrown my thought process out the window

I must say, i agree with the seats. The seats in my 320d are very very comfy and on long journeys i have zero issues, my last car a seat leon fr, those seats were awful on long journeys, back ache the lot. The wife's TT's are nice but not as comfy as mine. I suppose regarding S3/135i interior, its all down to personal preference, essentially i'd imagine you can get the same if not similar spec/tech in both cars.

There are plenty on Autotrader yes, but it seems the well specced ones are over my budget of 19. It seems i am maybe comparing the last car which had a good spec to one which i must have now, hence why i thought the previous s3 was nice and well specced although expensive given the year of the car.

I'll just have to bide my time i guess and weigh up the options, go check a few out in the local area, take them out etc and go from there. It doesn't necessarily have to be that S3/dealer in scotland as its no where near where i am in Lancashire.

Jcbmally likes this.
  7. J3oef

J3oef Registered User

pburv, wab172uk and Jcbmally like this.
  8. wab172uk

J3oef likes this.
  9. J3oef

J3oef Registered User

Money has been put down on that M235i :D what a machine, soooo much better in person compared to those website pics. I'm well chuffed, This was the second car this morning, first was an S3 which was nice and ticked a lot of boxes but once i seen the BMW, my mind was made up! Managed to get £5500 for my current car as part exchange which is good as i was hoping to get 6k for it privately.

Goner, wab172uk, pburv and 1 other person like this.
  10. Jcbmally

Jcbmally Started with nothing & still have most of it left.

Great news buddy, the M235i is a cool looking car. As long as your happy then its matter less what others think :thumbs up:

J3oef and pburv like this.
  11. J3oef

J3oef Registered User

Cheers fella :)

What a great forum this is, not many places i've signed up to are this welcoming and have balanced views on cars plus those of other brands.

Jcbmally and pburv like this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. pburv

pburv Registered User

Forum rules..........No pics and or it hasn't happened.:whistle2:
    Congrats on the purchase looks like a 'corker' of a motor.:thumbs up:
    ps Garage pics don't count lol

Goner, Jcbmally and J3oef like this.
  14. J3oef

J3oef Registered User

HaHa, pics will follow next weekend when i collect it. I cannot wait :)

15. wab172uk

Congratulations Buddy. Hope you enjoy it.

pburv and J3oef like this.
  16. wab172uk

Few of us (including me) on here have recently moved away from Audi for one reason or another. BMW is winning a few of us over to the Dark side.

Now if you'd bought a Mercedes? That would have been an entirely different situation, Lol.

pburv, Goner and Jcbmally like this.
  17. J3oef

J3oef Registered User

Never been a fan of Mercedes, Don't know why, just doesn't do it for me. What did you have previously and move to?

18. wab172uk

I moved from S3 Saloon to X3 M40i.

Had a test drive of the new A35 AMG Hatch, and found the ride awful.

J3oef likes this.
  19. J3oef

J3oef Registered User

Very nice :) Mate at work wants an A35, he currently has a 220 diesel a class but each to their own.

20. A4B9

A4B9 Registered User

You can’t beat a straight 6. Congratulations, you’ve definitely made the right choice going for the BM

Jcbmally, J3oef and pburv like this.
  21. Goner

Goner Guest

Enjoy!

Jcbmally, J3oef and pburv like this.
  22. K96

K96 Registered User

Good end to the the thread. It's nice to see you have found the car you want so quickly I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. Enjoy !

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

J3oef likes this.
  23. J3oef

J3oef Registered User

Thanks all for the input and views. Just out of interest, do any of you bother with GAP insurance? Thanks

Jcbmally likes this.
  24. pburv

pburv Registered User

I didn't on my S3. Thought I would take the risk. Took out GAP on my wife's Q3 though...The thought of having both cars involved in a theft or accident would hit my finances too much. For peace of mind and depending on cost I would probably take out GAP insurance again. At the end of the day it's your decision. Also if you do decide then I would say shop around as dealers GAP packages tend to be on the high side.

25. J3oef

J3oef Registered User

I've carried out a quote and its £148 for 3 years Invoice Gap which seems to be the one most people go for so they don't lose out. Seems very reasonable and for such a price would be worth taking for £50 a year just for peace of mind.

26. pburv

pburv Registered User

Yep sounds good.£50 a year ain't going to break the bank.:icon thumright:

Jcbmally likes this.
  27. wab172uk

That's a good price. GAP insurance for me is a must.

28. Peto

Peto Registered User

29. Goner

Goner Guest

He might not want one at 50K miles...

30. wab172uk

To go along side the M235i he just bought?

31. Peto

Peto Registered User

I mean only 3 door and some shady practices behind it would never even deal with
    I have A3 2015 and I want to trade in to buy S3 but only 5 door and I can see nice one for 15.100k or 16k So plenty money I need to save

32. Peto

Peto Registered User

50k is very nice mileage car to buy .. audi with 80k is just heating up :)

33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. J3oef

J3oef Registered User

A4B9 likes this.
  35. pburv

pburv Registered User

Nice colour mate...Given the choice again on a new car I would have to have BMW on my wish list:icon thumright: