Proper TPMS for B9

@Derboy
Thanks for the explanation but is it easier for those of us who have 'direct tire pressure monitoring system' installed on our My18 cars? Other than taking Audi's word for it, is there any way to independently check that we have direct TPMS rather than the indirect TPMS installed?

If you have a display option in the MMI or VC showing the pressures then you have direct TPMS with the radio valves. There’s no system where you have this and not have pressures displayed. It would make no sense for Audi to deliberately spend money on installing the valves when TPMS hasn’t been specc’d on the car.

Reactions: psychopomp1
If your valve stems are silver you have direct (active) TPMS, if black then you have indirect (passive) TPMS.

If you had direct TPMS then you would have a menu in the MMI which would allow you to see your pressures and temps. If you don’t have this then you have indirect TPMS, which when selected via the MMI will only give you the option to “store current tire pressures”.
Like this.

TX.
8b5e4e02c03a6ffc5c780f9f4338d19e.jpg

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daggerit
If you have a display option in the MMI or VC showing the pressures then you have direct TPMS with the radio valves. There’s no system where you have this and not have pressures displayed. It would make no sense for Audi to deliberately spend money on installing the valves when TPMS hasn’t been specc’d on the car.
Thanks, then I guess it was a typo on the Audi spec for my MY18 model car where it said "direct tyre pressure monitoring system"? (see my earlier post # 22). My car doesn't give out tyre pressure readings on the MMI/dash and there is an option to reset the TPMS on the MMI which obviously suggests its the indirect TPMS I have fitted.

Who knows. Outside of the factory Audi doesn’t seem to have a clue what’s in their cars and the people who define the descriptions on the spec sheets along with customer service don’t seem to know either. I queried the standard suspension on my car as the description reads like it’s somehow active and it plainly isn’t but CS would have me believe that it changes based on the drive select modes but then couldn’t tell me what it would be set to when drive select was set to Individual.

Short version is that if you haven’t specc’d something and paid for it, the car doesn’t have it.

Reactions: Terminator x, T-800 and pierreluigi88
Err....I’ll save myself the £795 and just check regularly or as and when the warning comes on!

That’s a new DTUK box with Bluetooth money right there!! :smiley:

How much would you charge to do this install?
I ask £420.00 to £480.00 at the moment. You would need to arrange to have the supplied sensors installed within your wheels as I am not sent up to do this.

Reactions: A12RNX
From looking around you can get the kit for about £200, then about another £30 for the mounting kit to go under the car and run the cable to the boot space and connect to Can and power. The sensors of course need installing on the wheels so the tyres need to come off and be re-balanced before going back on.

Coding is not that simple as I am sure @DJAlix will testify to, better to have someone like him code it as disabling the old Indirect TPMS can be challenging.

I'll be adding this to my S5 in the next couple of weeks and have the kit ready to go.

Could someone show me where exactly does the TPMS receiver get installed, if done properly. I'm having a hard time trying to locate the correct position based on the diagram in the parts catalogue. Ofcourse, if you told me where I might find that information in the repair manuals, that would work too.

Could someone show me where exactly does the TPMS receiver get installed, if done properly. I'm having a hard time trying to locate the correct position based on the diagram in the parts catalogue. Ofcourse, if you told me where I might find that information in the repair manuals, that would work too.
behind rear bumper. module can be fitted anywhere. just place in a cubby hole in the boot.

The reason I thought the position was important was, isnt that how the receiver detects which tyre signal its receiving I.e. based on signal strength, and working out distance from itself.

The reason I thought the position was important was, isnt that how the receiver detects which tyre signal its receiving I.e. based on signal strength, and working out distance from itself.
stick it in a cubby hole in the boot, drivers side. no need to over think this unless you really want to complete an OEM / factory installation and run the wires under the vehicle, waterproof and mount behind the bumper on the drivers side.