prop shaft broke,,,,,

Big Bang Yam

Reaction score
another S3 problem has appeared......couple of weeks ago whilst driving i came to a long corner with a load of loose mud and gravel so i though yeah ill give it some beans get it all a bit loose turned the esp off i planted my foot , wheels were spinning when i left the dirty tarmac there was a load bang from what sounded like rear diff.pulled over checked underneath make sure i didnt hit a rock and smash the diff casing but all was fine so i set off and then i had a noise which i can only describe as that horrid noise you get when you open the back windows down on a hatch back and the air gets trapped and makes you ears go funny,,,but obviously it was a vibration causing it. So being ****** right off with my constantly broke s3 i gave it a right good thrashing after a few miles the noise went to only being there beetween 30-40 mph ,but now the noise has been replaced by a clonk clonk clonk clonk road speed related coming from under centre of the car. So i put the car up on axle stands span the wheels nothing but a rubbery squeel from the U/J on the prop so i bent the heat shield out the way to have a closer look and what seems to be happening is the 1st section of prop shaft is spinning inside the U/J joint gearbox end.... so does anyone know of how the U/J is attatched to the shaft ?? with splines/pressed or a spring clip like the cv joint? or shall i just get another prop?. ive searched but havent found this before.
cheers all for your help!

Just get another shaft from a breaker, IMO.

TL;DR: I thrash the hell out of my car, treat it like a b*tch and it keeps breaking... Why isn't my car indestructible? :ninja:

i thought it was just my one thats a complete lightweight......was gonna go BT monster but i reckon it will be a can of worms.shame i really like the car .so many trick little mods you can do to make it your own but it keeps breaking! haha

Just out of curiosity have you checked your rear cv joints and drive shafts and also wheel bearing. The reason I'm asking is I had a similar problem not to long ago via same reason, basically both cv joint and wheel bearing on the passenger side broke causing the cv joint to move about in the back of the hub assembly. Might be worth a look.

Yep, ditto ;) I have the same setup. Would be even better with the peloquin rear diff. I never fitted mine, I sold it on :(

Just out of curiosity have you checked your rear cv joints and drive shafts and also wheel bearing. The reason I'm asking is I had a similar problem not to long ago via same reason, basically both cv joint and wheel bearing on the passenger side broke causing the cv joint to move about in the back of the hub assembly. Might be worth a look.

yes mate ive checked,clear as day the prop is turning inside the gearbox end side of the u/j,found another complete prop on ebay,£40 happy days ,knowing my luck with this car the exhaust will disintergrate whilst trying to remove it..........

is there kind of allignment thats out of adjustment beetween gearbox prop support and diff????

Managed to swap broke over. The fault was in the join, can only describe it as a cv joint connecting the shafts together. The races that hold the bearings together had collapsed and mullered the end of the shaft!!oh well onto next tho g that will surely break !

very common problem on the s4 and rs4 b5's with lots of power, lauching does it

it's only a guess that that caused it, because at the end of the day, reallistically you only have around 50bhp on each wheel and that's with the haldex at 50/50 and 50 horses on its own would not brake a component like that imo, i bet the individual wheel braking did that !