Project B7 420-R: 2012 Seat Exeo ST Sport Tech As Base Car.

Seat doors fit straight on the Audi and then you'll have power fold mirrors
;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So yesterday, I picked up the Audi.

I drove it the 60-odd miles back. It didn’t take even 2 miles of driving to reaffirm my belief, that despite the cheaper MRSP and the non-Audi badge, the Spanish car trumps the German, both in handling and equipment levels.

The SEAT feels more nimble and composed on twisty roads, where the Audi feels cumbersome and unsettled in certain road conditions, at certain speeds. The 2.0T motor in stock form, despite its 200hp output, lacks the urgent punch the 2.0 CR TDI 170 has, despite the 30hp deficit.

I drove the Audi last night, and I’d forgotten just how poor the halogen non-projector headlamps were. Facelift B5 halogen projectors are like in a different league. I found myself toggling between main and dipped beams. With the SEAT, the BiXenon setup is out of this world.

Both cars are Sport models.

Audi A4 Avant 2.0T Quattro S-Aline.
SEAT Exeo ST 2.0 CR TDI 170 Sport Tech.

The Audi’s equipment level is pretty basic, compared to the SEAT. The only extra the Audi has over the SEAT, is a sunroof! It doesn’t even have a front arm rest.

The Audi has the following as extras:

- Electric lumbar support.
- Electric sunroof.
- Rear door blinds.

The SEAT has the following as extras:

- RNS-E.
- BOSE.
- Colour DIS.
- Full DIS (Highline).
- Front and rear PDC.
- BiXenon headlamps with AFS.
- Electric folding mirrors.
- Auto-dim interior mirror.
- Black sports heated leather interior.
- Front armrest.
- Headlamp wash.
- Auto headlamps.
- Coming / leaving home.
- Auto wipers.
- LED DRL’s.

The Audi has the following as standard:

- Audi Symphony I.

The SEAT has the following as standard:

- Bluetooth.
- MFSW.
- SDS.
- Cruise.
- Shift light.

Even the base Exeo, the 2.0 CR TDI 120 S has the same standard equipment, which is standard on the 2.0 CR TDI 170 Sport Tech.

The Audi needs a LOT of retrofits, to get it even close to the SEAT trim level, but I’m going to enjoy doing so. I won’t be making any big changes though, until at least Phase 1 is completed on the SEAT.

7qSioCn.jpg

A3Pq1se.jpg

reF4sHJ.jpg

6RyFH8F.jpg
Usual Audi spec!

Imo the Seat is the better of the b7 formats. Newer cars and a spec one could only get in an RS4.

Reactions: Nollywood
So yesterday, I picked up the Audi.

I drove it the 60-odd miles back. It didn’t take even 2 miles of driving to reaffirm my belief, that despite the cheaper MRSP and the non-Audi badge, the Spanish car trumps the German, both in handling and equipment levels.

The SEAT feels more nimble and composed on twisty roads, where the Audi feels cumbersome and unsettled in certain road conditions, at certain speeds. The 2.0T motor in stock form, despite its 200hp output, lacks the urgent punch the 2.0 CR TDI 170 has, despite the 30hp deficit.

I drove the Audi last night, and I’d forgotten just how poor the halogen non-projector headlamps were. Facelift B5 halogen projectors are like in a different league. I found myself toggling between main and dipped beams. With the SEAT, the BiXenon setup is out of this world.

Both cars are Sport models.

Audi A4 Avant 2.0T Quattro S-Aline.
SEAT Exeo ST 2.0 CR TDI 170 Sport Tech.

The Audi’s equipment level is pretty basic, compared to the SEAT. The only extra the Audi has over the SEAT, is a sunroof! It doesn’t even have a front arm rest.

The Audi has the following as extras:

- Electric lumbar support.
- Electric sunroof.
- Rear door blinds.

The SEAT has the following as extras:

- RNS-E.
- BOSE.
- Colour DIS.
- Full DIS (Highline).
- Front and rear PDC.
- BiXenon headlamps with AFS.
- Electric folding mirrors.
- Auto-dim interior mirror.
- Black sports heated leather interior.
- Front armrest.
- Headlamp wash.
- Auto headlamps.
- Coming / leaving home.
- Auto wipers.
- LED DRL’s.

The Audi has the following as standard:

- Audi Symphony I.

The SEAT has the following as standard:

- Bluetooth.
- MFSW.
- SDS.
- Cruise.
- Shift light.

Even the base Exeo, the 2.0 CR TDI 120 S has the same standard equipment, which is standard on the 2.0 CR TDI 170 Sport Tech.

The Audi needs a LOT of retrofits, to get it even close to the SEAT trim level, but I’m going to enjoy doing so. I won’t be making any big changes though, until at least Phase 1 is completed on the SEAT.

7qSioCn.jpg

A3Pq1se.jpg

reF4sHJ.jpg

6RyFH8F.jpg

I see flaws in your comparison though.
The B7 is a 2005 year model and average spec, the Seat is a 2012 year model with much newer and different engine .
With a 7 year difference I would hope the Seat did have a better spec to be honest, not sure its really fair to compare the two as they are not really evenly matched.
The Seat maybe based around the B7 but it benafits from newer and different options that were not available on the B7 production line.

Still think a nice B7 is the better of the two cars, just my personal preference .:yes:

Come on, Rob!

The options that I listed in the SEAT were available when the B7 A4 was launched!

Full DIS.
Front armrest.
BOSE.
RNS-E.
MFSW.
Electric folding mirrors.
Bluetooth.
PDC.
Auto-dimming mirrors.
Automatic wipers.
HID headlamps.
Coming home.
Headlamp washers.
Automatic headlamps.

With the exception of about 3-odd options, these were even available on the B6, some on the B5.

The list above was certainly available on the B7, way before the SEAT Exeo arrived. This is a common strategy with Audi. Later models got thinner on standard equipment.

It’s not unique to the A4 - the same happened in the 1990’s with the 100 C3 and 80/90 B3. Lots of standard equipment became cost options on run-out production models.

I'll give you that one :whistle2:but very few ever got all those at one time..lol

And if you were really lucky with certain B7's you got parts that were not even on the option list.:yahoo::yes:

I was looking into a 2-tone dash, using B6/7 Convertible parts.

I had some work done back in 2015 on a B4 Convertible. Replacement rear screen, and the trimmer came up trumps.

He works on high-end cars like Bentleys, Rollers, Aston Martin etc. He actually trims for dealerships.

Besides trimming, he can personalise an interior to whatever is required.

He will be making me a custom interior, including the roof lining. I’m just looking for a pair of Recaro Wingbacks.

I am also having the dash trimmed in 2-tone leather, with stitching to match the car’s exterior.

I am having custom logo’s going on the front back rests, where there would usually be an RS4. These will be embossed, rather than embroidered.

So I’m going to be purchasing a spare dash, upper and lower parts, as well as the centre console, B6/7 Avant / Sedan door cards.

The car (SEAT Exeo ST) is going into the body shop in the next 2 weeks.

I've not had chance to get on here much lately but checking in for regular updates, can't wait to see this taking shape.

Its a big old project, would be nice to see some progress soon though.

Reactions: RyanJonS4
Rob, I totally understand.

But I do want to get the bodywork side completed first.

I also have to put paying clients first. I have 3 V8 conversions going at the moment, and none of them are mine.

Yep, always keep the customers happy.:icon thumright::yes:

Reactions: Mr Tidy and Nollywood
Im on my 2nd exeo sport tech,
First one owned from new, i traded it in , in springtime there and just didnt gel with my new car..
Im now back to an exeo sport tech again and it fits like a glove. Its on 78k atm so i may keep it long term if i can not find a low mileage one

So...

The time has finally arrived for my SEAT Exeo ST to leave home. I’m just trying to work out the logistics of getting all the B7 RS4 Avant parts down to the shop - all panels, front and rear bumpers, 4 genuine B7 RS4 19” wheels fitted with tyres, B7 A4 hood.

I guess the logical solution is to part strip the car, then bolt on as many panels as I can. It’s a 5 hour trip, so not exactly local!

It’s going to feel really weird driving the slower B7 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro Avant. The SEAT is much quicker, and has better handling, despite still being FWD.

I can’t wait to get the SEAT body side covered. At least by the time she’s back home, it’ll probably be getting warmer, warm enough to start on the engine and quattro swap.

Hire a trailer

Another pick up today.

aUdA081.jpg

QwxV7Z6.jpg

LgdCA7I.jpg

KGHQnmo.jpg

3SclupP.jpg

SbL9yKE.jpg

DsUqMHw.jpg

CSDy2FN.jpg

My storage unit is gasping at the seams, I can’t wait to transport all the parts to the shop

3 months, and £1200 / $1568 later, I have these:

oP37S0v.jpg

vyzQPSt.jpg

I wasn’t aware they were double-skinned, believe it or not, between building the jig, getting stainless steel tubing with the correct angles, and getting the lot welded up, there’s 25 hours invested in these.

I’m deciding whether to get them ceramic coated or not.

Be a fool not to

I'm curious what shop you went with for the body work, since I have a project of my own I need done. Also, have you fiddled with any of the newer V8 turbo engines?

I'm curious what shop you went with for the body work, since I have a project of my own I need done. Also, have you fiddled with any of the newer V8 turbo engines?

Hi Sandspeed,

I have 2 body shops in mind. One in Charlton, South East London, and the other in Hartlepool.

Leaning more towards the one in Charlton, as the shop in Hartlepool is pretty slow to respond to phone calls, which is not good.

With the 4.0 V8 BiTurbo engines, all I’ve done is service and maintenance. No major work as yet.

Hello Nollywood :)

Great project!.... :) I am going to follow this to the end...
Here an Exeo ST owner from the Netherlands.
Are you willing to sell all four rear led lights?

Hello Nollywood :)

Great project!.... :) I am going to follow this to the end...
Here an Exeo ST owner from the Netherlands.
Are you willing to sell all four rear led lights?

May be the headlights as well :)

Hi XPtuning!

Thanks for your comments. Any plans to modify your Exeo ST?

As for my headlamps and tails, they’re part of my build, so they won’t be for sale!

Hi XPtuning!

As for my headlamps and tails, they’re part of my build, so they won’t be for sale!

No prob...I asked because on Dutch SEAT forum another Exeo ST owner is looking for the led taillights....not me. My car is already stock fitted with led tail lights.

I have several mods.... :) ...
Full stainless steel exhaust with race cat..and remap to ~235bhp on a 1.8TSI.
Two intercoolers...
Bilstein B12 pro kit lowering.
034motorsport oil catch can setup
RS4 rear antiroll bar.

Hi XPtuning!

Makes me curious now about your body modification plans....how are you incorporate the Exeo headlights in that RS4 front bumper....

Hi Sandspeed,

I have 2 body shops in mind. One in Charlton, South East London, and the other in Hartlepool.

Leaning more towards the one in Charlton, as the shop in Hartlepool is pretty slow to respond to phone calls, which is not good.

With the 4.0 V8 BiTurbo engines, all I’ve done is service and maintenance. No major work as yet.

PM'd

Deffo a slow project

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

This project is crazy man, very unique! I am particularly excited about the Quattro conversion. Could you document it in great detail, along with the prices and the parts needed? Right now I don't have any car, but I plan to buy either the Seat Exeo or Skoda Superb B5, and I day dream about giving either of them real AWD. Also a question for Rob... Why the site keeps telling me to **** off when I try to make an account? Right now I am using the google account, but I'd prefer my yahoo one.

It’s certainly been a while since last posted here - 2 years+

Quite a few changes to the original project. The base car’s been in the body shop since 08th April, 2023!

I’ve mostly posted on my FB page though.