Problems tracking after track rod fitted

J_sharples

Reaction score
A year ago I replaced all the front suspension arms (upper and lower) on my B6 Cab, new tyres fitted and had it tracked. Beautifully straight and drove lovely for a year until last week.

I had to replace a track-rod end to pass my MOT due to a split rubber. After fitting the track rod and lowering the car back on the deck, I noticed that the wheel alignment changed between: no weight applied (wheel in the air) = tracked and when jack released with weight applied it toes out. And conversely, if I track on the deck it looks fine and drives straight until I hit a bump or weight is lifted and the suspension rises then I can feel the toe changing again. Anyone experienced this before I buy new suspension arms again for the second time in one year? I did drive round the block for a while hoping it was just the suspension needing settling again. Ideas?

Could be incorrect fitment or the arms may not have been up to OEM standard or maybe the bush has gone (which could also be related to fitment). Not the most clued up in this area to be honest just basing my response off what I've read in the past.

You can't track the car on the drive-way in the air J_sharples, The toe is always going to change as the suspension leg moves up and down due to the distance between the steering rack and where the track rod meets the leg increasing/decreasing. Before you get new suspension, try letting the suspension settle for a few days and then getting a professional alignment and see how that feels.

Additionally you can ask the mechanic to put your approximate body weight in weights on the drivers seat (you have to supply them haha) during the procedure but this is just if you want it to be precise.