Problems opening boot

Niknak

Reaction score
Hi all, I am having a few issues in opening my boot, sometimes it opens no problem other times it won't open at all, and I need to use the key.
Any ideas???

Thanks
Ian

Last edited:
Hi all, I am having a few issues in opening my boot, soemtimes it opens no problem other times it won't open at all, and I need to use the key.
Any ideas???

Thanks
Ian

i've got the same problem :huh:

Probably a faulty microswitch thats corroded or just needs a good clean.

Might be worth just trying some WD40 on the boot latch first and seeing if that works before taking anything apart to clean.

my cab boot opener solenoid/motor recently died in the "unlock/open" position which meant that the boot would no longer close, and it just bounced back open again.

that was fun tearing my boot lid apart, in the dark, and in the rain. just what i needed.

new motor was £32 from audi.

I have the same problem fella, I opened the boot liner and disconencted the solenoid connector, now the boot is 100% manual until I can get around to swapping out the solenoid. :)

mines exactly the same, just disconnected the arm and use it manually, never got round to getting the part

mine does this. I can open it via the key and also pushing the boot button on the keyfob. Like above, does sound like a faulty switch. Is it a full take the boot to bits job to fix it? :(

Also got it with the fuel flap cover. The pin never shoots over. If i realign it, then it will, but soon enough stops working again.

Think my boot may be on the way out as occasionally it bounces back when trying to shut it then after a few attempts it closes!:sadlike:

Ok it's now 100% manual which part do I need to replace.
Thanks
Ian

I have the same problem. Opens ok with the key.

I have tried a new solenoid - made no difference.

Dealer had a look - needs a new boot catch.

The boot on my avant is tempremental.
Unless you use just the right amount of pressure when closing it it will bounce back a little and not close properly.
I took the lining of the other day (pig of a job) and had a look and everything looked in good working order and condition.
Is this likely to be the solonoid or the actual catch itself that needs replacing or can they be srtipped down and cleaned up/serviced etc...?
Thanks

Can anyone help with this as NikNaks problem is soon to be my problem!! Changed the solenoid and switch today to no avail. It seems like there is no power to the boot at all as the boot light doesn't work either... tried swapping this as well!?!?!?

I found that if you lock the boot with the key you may have problems. There is a small microswitch on the barrel of the boot key lock and if its not turned back to its normal position then it wont make the switch and allow power to the solenoid.

Hmm, that seems to make sense. I am now have the car and notice the boot doesn't always shut first time of asking so if the mechanism isn't in place then this would explain why... Do you think the boot light is also reliant on that microswitch being in place in order to operate?.... Thanks!!

Also, that's the only thing we didn't change from mine whichg worked fine...!

I've ordered the microswitch on the barrel - 8E0953229

Not ordered -

There is also another switch on the latch - 8D5959489B
I have not ordered this because my boot light is working ok.

The complete boot latch is - 8E5827505B (Complete with the microswitch)

Will update you guys when the part arrives.

weird... my boot just stopped working today too!

Left the airport, threw all my bags etc in the boot, got home.. wouldn't open!!
I could hear the motor trying, both when i used the key and the boot switch but it just wouldn't pop!

In the end, dropped the seats, took evening out of the boot, pulled the red emergency release tab, SNAP... wonderful!!
A lot of swearing later and the boot trim removed a screw driver helped me out!

Not quite sure what upset it, but it seems to be working now! Left the trim off though just incase...

I have a sneaky suspicion that there is a broken wire somewhere between the boot and the source of power as my lights, parking sensors etc are all working, however the lock is inoperable, the switch doesnt work, the interior boot light doesn't work (I've checked the bulb!!) and neither do the number plate lights... A job for an auto-electrician me thinks!!

I have a sneaky suspicion that there is a broken wire somewhere between the boot and the source of power as my lights, parking sensors etc are all working, however the lock is inoperable, the switch doesnt work, the interior boot light doesn't work (I've checked the bulb!!) and neither do the number plate lights... A job for an auto-electrician me thinks!!

Have you checked the fuse?

Yeah the day Gaz purchased the car we checked all the fuses but nothing obvious.

Yeah the day Gaz purchased the car we checked all the fuses but nothing obvious.

Have you sold your car then?

I'm still waiting for my microswitch. Hopefully it should arrive today.

Yeah, I have it now... and the plot thickens.... When the boot is closed, the boot light is on?!?!?! I am www.confused.com!!!

cool.

If the light is on, then this is controlled by a microswitch with the latch.

I got my barrel microswitch today - made no ****** difference!!

Going to order the latch. Will keep you posted.

Replaced the catch with microswitch - guess what?

Made no difference!!!!!!!!

Removed the acutator (8E5 962 115) and checked the motor with a 9v battery. Motor working ok.
I have not tried a new actuator.

My dad A2 has the same actuator. Will remove this and try it on mine.

Giving the car a wash today and realised that the petrol cap doesn't lock either so I'm now wondering if it is something to do with the central locking pump?? Doesn't explain why the number plate lights aren't working though????

Tried my actuator/solenoid on my dad's A2.

It's a bit lazy so I will change this and if it still does not work then I will keep it manual!!

Fuel filler cap problem now sorted as the rod had disconnected from the solenoid. However, still no joy on the boot. I have now replaced the buttons, solenoid and locking mechanism to no avail. Anyone know where the vacuum pump is located? I've checked out the vac hoses at the solenoid end but they seem fine?? Really struggling now!!!

I had this issue, I purchased a neew solenoid from the dealer and still no boot remote opening. Also my number plate lights stopped working, so when investigating the number plate lights I came across 2 broken brown wires, these were in the hard plastic cover located to the left when the boot lid is opened. I replaced both wires and now my number plate lights and my remote booot opening work perfect..Before buying any parts, gat a cheap multimeter and check for current, as the broken wires are pretty common in Audi's as I remember I had a A plate 80Cd and it aslo had broken wires in the same area..
Hope this helps.