problem with xenon

Crazypete00

Reaction score
hey, I've searched the forums but can't quite find what I'm looking for.

I have a s3 facelift. My xenon light on one side doesn't come on. If I turn the lights off and on a few times it eventually comes on. Just replaced the bulbs but no luck. Any ideas?

Also my elec window is knackered. It's seemed to have stopped and can't open or close it. Could it be a motor?

Have a search of the forums matey as these are common problems and come up quite frequently.

The ballast on these cars are total ****....Get your Bulb Fitment code and get a whole new kit for around £100 or less from ebay..I can supply a kit for you at £100 but im too busy at the moment to supply outside London.

not yet, going to take it apart tonight. Ive borrowed a ballast off my mates car (hope you doesn't find out) :whistle2:

If i turn my lights on and one doesnt fire up, if i leave them on for 20 seconds or so, turn them off and back on quickly they both come on then, and both stay on.

so could possibly be the igniter which correct me if im wrong is built into the ballast??

yep its the ballast, took it off and tried the ballast on the other headlight to rule out any connection problems and i get the same problem.

Audi want a shocking £293 for 1 ballast :wtf:

ive tried Hids4u, eurocar parts, gsf and a few others. no one has them in stock. anyone know where i can get one?

aren't xenons wonderful.

Tota rip off especially as you have no choice when the standard lights are so bad.

Rip the lot out and replace with an aftermarket kit

try VVME.com for a ballast cheap ballasts poor customer services but can rip you off on postal though still waiting for my set to be returned after the ballasts went south.

Good luck

sounds like a plan, can you use the existing wiring loom? and just replace the ballast and the cable going from the ballast to the bulb?

When I asked my local dealer he said that xenons should last the life of the car, so when my igniter and bulb went I demanded a new one for free, and got it.

just tried main dealer and they said they could not do it under warranty. gutted. might get a after market kit from Hong Kong, maybe try the 55w ones.

I'd be inclined to ask them why, its not a consumable part and its not got any moving parts within it, it should be covered under warranty.
Dealers sometimes say it can't be done under warranty because if you pay to have work done they get paid more than if Audi UK paid them to do the same work.

Tried a few dealerships quoting "its not a consumable part and its not got any moving parts within it" out of 4 audi dealerships 3 said definatly no, and 1 will call me back tomorrow.

Its the same as if your radio had broken, or your alternator, they're being tossers.
Should be covered under warranty, bulb maybe not, ballast yes.