Problem with Temp Warm-Up(Help Needed Please)

THE MONSTER

Reaction score
1997 1.8t Sport I mentioned the other day I have a with the engine not reaching Temp(90c)it is between 70-75 always sits there..

.I have got a new Thromostat and I have not changed it yet because on further examination I noticed both bottom Rad Pipies are cold and the top pipe as well..the 2 pipes that go to the Heater are Hot though .

Where the thermostat housing is where also the pump is located there sounds like a bit of a noise from there but just might be the belt going round I'm not sure but there is no signs of water from there..

Just thought could I have a pump problem and would this cause my Temp to not go to 90c as it should..

Last edited:
if the pump was goosed I don't think the engine would run cooler. I would change the stat and bleed properly. I had this problem too and it was the stat.

I was going to drain the Radiator but there is no way I can get to the drain plug with the bumper on..my bumper is from a body kit I think and even if you take one of the grills out of the front you cannot get at the plug..surley you don't have to take the bumper off...

When i did mine i didnt know about the drain ****, so i just pulled the bottom radiator hose off the thermostat housing.

The reason its running cool is that some water is seeping past the thermostat when it should be closed. As a result, cold water from the radiator is constantly being bled back into the engine, and it never properly warms up.

You would find the pipes will eventaully heat up, but it will take a while.

Right,I can't see me getting to the Radiator Tap without taking the front Bumper off...if I release the Thermostat Housing just a bit and letting it go into a bucket could it be drained from there..

Would it also drain the Radiator,don't know if it would or not...is it lower than the Rad..is it possible to do that without using the drain **** on the Rad..

Thinking about it can't be lower than the Rad and therefore would not drain the Rad Properly..
is It Bumper off then...:crying:..any advice would be great..

Am I right in thinking the Drain tap is on the Drivers side and you can turn it by hand not that I can see anything..

Last edited:
Drain tap is on passenger side, and you need a screwdriver.

If you dont want to remove the bumper, just remove the bottom hose from the stat housing, it'll drain just fine.

Drain tap is on passenger side, and you need a screwdriver.

If you dont want to remove the bumper, just remove the bottom hose from the stat housing, it'll drain just fine.

Yes I thought about removing the bottom hose,you mean the one that goes to the stat and remove at the bottom of the Rad..

It as them silly VAG clips on that you need them VAG pliers for to tighten again..

I suppose you can put a Jubilee Clip on like the Heater Bleed Hose I will have do as well..

On the radiator end, its a plastic clip thing, you pull out the spring clip and the hose just pulls off.

I took it off the stat housing end though, as it had a jubilee clip there on mine, and it makes it easier to get the stat refitted when the hose isnt attached to the plastic elbow.

On the radiator end, its a plastic clip thing, you pull out the spring clip and the hose just pulls off.

I took it off the stat housing end though, as it had a jubilee clip there on mine, and it makes it easier to get the stat refitted when the hose isnt attached to the plastic elbow.

I have had a look at the Plastic thing that you say and all I can see is something that as rusted badly around the hose looks like a wire type fitting that slots in a circluar ring around the end of the pipe...

I think it's a trip to the delers for a new one as a Jubilee clip would be no good there..

Sorry I keep going on about this relativly simple job but I work from home and go out and play with it now and again and I want all the bits with me after I drain the system and not being able to drive the car if you need something..

You don't happen to have a part number for that clip do you I use to have Ecta but don't have it now..

I think they call it the clip on the conecting Flange..

Last edited:
The radiator end is just a push fit thing with an O-Ring inside. The wire clip just stops it coming off. You couldnt use a jubilee clip, as its hard plastic.

I wouldnt bother with that end of the pipe anyway. Take the pipe off the thermostat housing, and it will all drain out there. just pull the end of the pipe down so its lower than the radiator.

The radiator end is just a push fit thing with an O-Ring inside. The wire clip just stops it coming off. You couldnt use a jubilee clip, as its hard plastic.

I wouldnt bother with that end of the pipe anyway. Take the pipe off the thermostat housing, and it will all drain out there. just pull the end of the pipe down so its lower than the radiator.

I have phoned the Dealers and it's only pennies to replace that O-Ring Plastic thingy..mine as shot it really rusted very bad the steel band I think that goes around it..

I think I should replace that and it will drain from there..what do you think..??I was worried about it leaking from there because it will not be holoding the hose on properly..when you said the wire bit stops it coming off I have no wire bit hardly it's so rusted..Replace the O-Ring as well??

Last edited:
You cant replace the plastic thing, its part of the hose, which is about £30...

The steel clip is probably only pennies though

You'll probably need to take the thermostat end of the hose off anyway, as the hose being attached restricts the movement, and makes it hard to change the stat.

You cant replace the plastic thing, its part of the hose, which is about £30...

The steel clip is probably only pennies though

You'll probably need to take the thermostat end of the hose off anyway, as the hose being attached restricts the movement, and makes it hard to change the stat.

Yes I will Replace the Steel Clip then..I will get a couple of Jubilee Clips as well to Replace the Silly VAG ones on the end of the Thermosat end and the one on the Heater Core that you have to loosen to bleed the System..