problem with power.....

shufti

Reaction score
hi guys

i have a 2000 1.8t a6 avant.
problem is i have no power when i hit the accelerator! the car ticks over fine, just i can put my foot the floor and get nothing. sometimes it decides to go but only for a split second, i can't seem to get the revs higher than 20,000.
i am having probs installing my vag com on my new laptop as it seams that the software will not load the full version as it did on my last laptop, i am trying to sort this but in the mean time any suggestions?
thanks

Shufti. I have a '99 1.8t. I had a similiar problem where the car started running slightly rough above 5000rpm. The problem got worse and sometimes the car wouldn't run above about 2000 rpm, but sometimes it would run fine. I got a local independent garge to look at it for me. Turned out the MAF was knackered. They got an exchange part from an Audi dealer for 110 Euros. The car works perfect now

thanks for the reply,

5000 revs would be an absolute luxury for me! when stationary if i put my foot to the floor it goes to no more than 3000 and a very quick burst to about 3200 when i release the pedal. when driving i can put my foot down and my average speed is about 20mph, but the next minute the car would just excelerate and then back to 20mph intermitantly. i'm no expert but i had a maf problem on my old a4, even though it had a power loss it wasn't as eratic as my problem now. could the maf cause this?

i will check it out but i think the problem is worst than the maf?????

could you explain what and where the coil pack is? is it a straight forward replace if i can find new part?
thanks

hi again, i got the laptop up and running and the the scan didn't make very good reading! any suggestions where i should go from here other than the maf filter or the coil pack suggested in this thread????? would vag com not show faults in both of these parts if they were faulty and neaded replacement?
any help of where to go from here really would be appreciated, thanks

vag com - faults found......

17544 - Fuel Trim: bank 1 (add) system too rich - P1136

17536 - Fuel Trim: bank 1 (mult) system too lean - P1128

16684 - random/multiple cylinder misfirwe detected - P0300

16685 - cylinder 1 misfire detected - P0301

16687 - cylinder 3 misfire detected - P0303

16688 - cylinder 4 misfire detected - P0304

16686 - cylinder 2 misfire detected - P0302

17925 - main relay (j271) electrical malfunction - P1517

18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: voltage too low - P1602

18034 - Power train Data Bus: missing message from TCU - P1626

17834 - EVAP Purge Valve (n80) open circuit - P1426

thanks for that rev-head

i done the test and all the readings were similar over the 4 cylinders so i guess that part is ok.....

what's the best plan of action now? check the coil packs? can you let me know where they are in the engine and how best i test them? do you think the vagcom codes relate to the coil packs and is it likely that all 4 have failed?
anything else it could be?

cheers

1. Remove engine cover.
2. unclip coil pack plug by lifting tab.(attached to the spark plugs)
3. pull coil pack straight out.
Remove the negative lead from the battery when doing this

Swop the coils about and plug in Vag.com and see what reading it gives you .

It is possible they are gone as this is a common problem, in relation to the VAG.com readings it does look like it

Cheers

cheers

even though i wasn't convinced with earlier suggestion of the maf filter(previous maf problem was nothing like this) i unplugged it and there was a definate change in performance. seemed that the misfiring had gone and i had more power but rough idling.
i'm guessing that the maf is ****** so i'll order one tomorrow and see what change this makes before i attack the coil plugs

thanks for all advise so far, will post up findings

fingers crossed.........

new maf sorted it!

after originally being told by audi it could be £1500-£2000 ecu/wiring loom problem turns out a £65 (ebay) maf was all it needed

i didn't realise the maf could cause all the misfiring.

thanks for all your help, i hope this thread proves useful to others.....