Problem With Electrics...

rashpal1

Reaction score
Hi Guys..

Need some help if possible.. Been having some problems with my 2002 A4 3.0Q.

Since yesterday when I get out of the car and shut the door and lock the car via the Keyfob I have noticed that the hazard lights do not flash and the interior light stays on. I have had to manually switch it off!

Also none of the electric windows work and neither do the electric mirrors, and the central locking button on the driver’s door does not respond too!
Now this morning sitting in traffic I noticed that everytime I pull away I can hear the central locking on the rear doors locking the doors or trying to lock them!

I played around with the fuses last night to make sure they where all ok. They seemed fine and everything started working again as usual, I then went out and came back home and the problem came back! Fiddled with the fuses again, but made no difference this time round.

Has anyone ever has this problem, or does anybody know what may be causing this.. Any help suggestions will be much appreciated..

Cheers

Pal

I know of a couple of problems that are common on the A4 B6

* There is a micro switch in the driver's door lock module, it’s the switch that locks the dead bolts and turns the alarm on when you use the key lock cylinder in the driver's door. This switch is prone to failure and the car thinks you are trying to lock the car from the outside key cylinder repeatedly, also the interior lights behave strangely . If you have access to VAG com you can check it.

* Water can get into the convenience module under the passenger front seat, check under the carpet to see if it's wet.

* A few people have also reported broken wires in the rubber boot between the doors and the A pillar which also makes for strange behaviour.

Ok so first things first, get VAg-Com and check system.. Then check for broken wires and water leaks..

Would the key lock cylinder cause problems even if i use the keyfob to lock the car?? Also how would this stop the door mirrors and windows from operating???

The list was in no particular order so I would check for the broken wire and water fist (no cost outlay).

The door lock fault usually causes the windows to go up or down randomly and the interior light to behave strangely whilst driving. Not sure its your problem but I know of a few cars that have suffered strange window behaviour because of it so I thought I better mention it as a possibility.

It's probably something to do with the fuses. This has been at fault every time my electrics have gone wrong. Get some new fuses and replace the old ones, they're only a few pennies and could fix your problems.

The windows do not go up or down randomly, they just do not work including the door mirrors..

I will check the whole lot though, will try new fuses too..

Although everything was working fine this morning.. Hope it stays like that too..

I think you'll find like with most cars, all the windows, locks and mirror wiring runs through the drivers door. If you remove the door panel and therefore the switchgear, then the circuit is broken for all those components.
Your problem sounds like a plug has come adrift, check the rubber hose between the door and the pillar at the hinge joint on the drivers door.

try reseting your alarm remote (its in the manual) to see if things start working again
mine did something similar not so long ago but as soon as i reset the remote everything was fine and dandy again

i had a problem like this,
It looked as though the my car had a previous water leak, and the central locking and remote locking would ramdomly work,
traced the problem to the convenience unit but they are not cheep .
so i hope for your sakes it's a broken wire.
scott

Not had a chance to check all the wiring yet, but already checked the cabling in the door pillers.. They all fine..

It has all been working fine since Saturday now, fingers that it stays like that!

My wifes Vw Bora is in at the stealers today for the exact same problems you have, it has been diagnosed as a faulty CCU (Convenience control unit) which a small ECU in itself, cost is £315 and i do know that A4's have these fitted and suffer the same failures.:puke2:

Hi Guys,

Sorry to bring this up again but the fault has come back and it seems to be permanent.

I have had Vagcom put on the car and i get the following error:

01331 - Door Control Module; Driver Side (J386)

What i was confused about is that can this module in the drivers door really stop all the electrics such as all the electric windows, mirrors, central locking etc in the car from working...

Just dont want to spend £170 on a module that may not be the cause of the problem..

Thanks in advance..

Pal

hi there.i donnu if this is the side that we have to speak but i have audi a4 cabriolet 2005 model soft top stucked and it doesn't close.i have vag-com.plz help me where to go.i mean which adress and how to do the basic settings.thank u.

rashpal1 said:
Hi Guys,
I have had Vagcom put on the car and i get the following error:

What i was confused about is that can this module in the drivers door really stop all the electrics such as all the electric windows, mirrors, central locking etc in the car from working...

Pal

Yes it can be a fault with a micro switch in this module or a wiring fault to this module as per my original post.

The module is one unit & has micro switches built in that control the interior light, windows & central locking etc.

If something is broken inside it can affect more than one switch that communicates with the convenience module confusing the system as to your intentions.

The car thinks the door is open hence the light staying on. When you drive off the car thinks you are trying to lock the door (due to inertia effecting the door lock switch contact). If the door lock module is constantly telling the windows to go up & you are pushing the button to go down etc.

The fault is either the module itself or communication to the module. The copper wire can break inside its plastic coating making the broken wire difficult to spot between the doors and the A pillar.

If VAG com has picked up a fault with the module rather than a communication fault then replacing the module should cure the problem.

Hi,

Yes the fault i get is

No Communication

I have checked the cabling going into the door from the pilar and all seems ok, but then you can't tell which cable is broken internally just from looking at it as you said. Also all the fuses seem to be ok too.

Pal

Had the door control module changed and still have the same problem. :-(

None of the windows work or mirrors etc as before! What i have noticed is that when you turn the headlights on the individual window switches in the door light up expect for the drivers door one. Nothing here lights up!

Also had vagcomm put on the car again and now it gives this error

01330 - Central Control Module for Central Convenience (J393)
supply voltalge too low B+
01331 - Door Control Module: Driver Side (J386)
No communication

Does anyone have wiring diagrams for the door control module and the convenience module so that i can check that power is getting to the correct terminals etc..

Thanks in advance..

Pal

Time for a thread resurrection!
Just got the exact same problems in my wife's A4 avant.
Did the OP get this sorted?

There's a number of different symptoms listed.

Can you spcify what exactly you are experiencing - only to try and help in suggested actions to pursue it as there are plenty of paths to explore.

The symptoms are very similar:-
All electric windows not working.
Driver's door not locking (all other doors seem to lock fine)
Interior courtesy lights not going off
And new this morning, air con/heating system not working properly.

I was keen to hear if the OP had found a solution?

Does drivers door opening and closing register on the DIS?
If you unlock car, and open drivers door and close again, without starting car - does it relock and rearm alarm after a minute or so?

Don't suppose you have vag-com software - as that would allow each switch and state to be checked easily.

Nothing registers on the DIS when unlocking or opening the doors.
Unfortunately no access to vag-com

Same as previous answers.. Faulty convenience module due to water getting at it or just faulty unit...

I had to replace mine twice...First one new from Audi £180 + vat + the door lock that it blew luckily under warranty..Second £75 from a breakers yard but they are not easy come by...

These problems with the no communication to the door module are likely to be broken wires in the rubber boot through the door. When mine did exactly this, we looked and the wires seemed ok. Continuity test them with the multimeter and the ground was broken. Investigate further, and it was broken right in the middle of the boot. A bit of soldering later and all was sorted. First place to check is this wiring. With the door opening and closing they are put under stress and broken...

Chas

Spot on Chas - just got the car back today. Broken earth wire in the drivers door was the culprit.

Sorry for the delay.. Yes mine was also broken earth wire in rubber boot in the door.. Got a second hand one from the scrapy for £20... Sorted the problem!!