Problem with eBay Sourced mp3/USB Player for Audi Chorus Stereo - Can Anyone Help?

Springer*

Reaction score
At Xmas last year I purchased a USB/MP3 player contraption what plugs into the back of my Audi Chorus stereo. I got it from eBay from a supplier in Hong Kong.

When it came through the post they hadn't supplied the additional cable needed to make it work properly with my stereo and when I asked them to send it they played silly bu99ers and didn't send it. To cut a long story short they went AWOL and I was stuck with a player that didn't seem to work.

It was called a YBTEC and had 4 toggle switches on it that with the correct combination allowed it to work on my stereo. Without any proper instructions I found something on the internet and figured out how to get it to play music through my stereo.

The problem was that it will only play for a minute or so before cutting out and coming up with an error message on the head unit and not working. It was almost like the signal wasn't 100% compatible and eventually the stereo cottoned onto it and blocked the signal.

Also, to make matters even worse, the device only works with the engine off. When I fire up the engine the stereo can't detect it at all.

Is the current completely different when the engine is on to when it is off?

Has anyone else got one of these YBTEC devices? If so, did yours come with 2 cables or just one like mine did? I can't seem to find any cables on the net that I can purchase to use with it.

Does anyone know what I can do (apart from bin the whole thing off)?

If anyone has one of these YBTEC things can anyone give me any pointers as to how I can get it to work?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

J

I've got a similar device and it works fine. Have you got the little pin switches on the back set in the correct position. I remember from the manual they need to be set a certain way depending of what make of car its fitted in.

I'm not sure I've got the switches right to be honest.

My player wasn't supplied with instructions at all (I know, the suppliers were clearly muppets in hindsight!)

I only managed to find some info by Googling "YBTEC" and it came up with an installation guide which I saved to my desktop. The guide made reference to the setup for a VW and loosely referred to Audi Chorus settings too but it also made reference to having an additional cable for the Audi setup which I never received. The user guide was written in appalling English too.

Basically I got the YBTEC silver box thing and a cable that plugs into one end of it and then goes into the back of the Chorus stereo unit, and that's it.

Did you get any additional cables with yours?

I made some minor modifications to the plug on the back of my Chorus unit so that I could plug in the main black connector and get the purple 8-pin connector into the CD Changer socket at the same time.

Once I'd done this I could see that power was going to the YBTEC and that the Chorus unit could see that something was there too.

Then using the rough guide as to what was required for an Audi stereo and then a bit of trial and error I managed to get it to play through the stereo with the ignition on two clicks, but for some reason it kept coming up with an error message on the Chorus unit after about 30 seconds and then shutting down. From then on the Chorus unit couldn't detect that the YBTEC box was there at all and I'd have to switch the ignition off completely and allow it all to reset itself before it would work again :uhm:

Also, whilst it would play music with the ignition on two clicks, as soon as I fired the engine up it would always shut off completely.

From this I'm assuming that whilst it was playing music I must have had the switches set wrongly still or maybe I still needed the extra cable that was referred to in the YBTEC user guide I downloaded from the internet?!

At the moment the DP switches are set to - 1-On 2-On 3-Off 4-Off - is that how yours is set up or have you got it to a different setting?

It also seems to work with 1-Off 2-On 3-Off 4-Off too.

Also, just out of interest, what do you have the little earth wire connected to? Should it be connected to anything on the rear of the Chorus unit or just the Chorus metal casing somewhere?

Would be great to get the damn thing working after all this time because potentially its a belting little system.

J

For the 8 pin connector stereos like the chorus stereos the switchess are 1,2 ON, 3,4 OFF.
There maybe a problem with how you modified the wiring.
The earth cable on mine is not connected to anything, it works fine without it.

Not sure what you mean by the extra wire?
Mines had one wiring harness, it plugs into the back of the radio and goes to a small switch box, which has a connector where the oem CD changer plugs into.

Most of the ones on ebay have exactly the same wiring harness, only the box itself has different badging.
Maybe you could take some pictures of your wiring and I can compare with mine?

Thanks for your response mate.

I never modified the wiring at all. My Chorus stereo has a black plug that goes into the back of the stereo and the part of the plug that went into the CD Autochanger socket was empty, with no wires in it.

My YBTEC box came with one cable with a blue 8-pin plug on the end and a little earth wire coming off it with a small metal connector on the end.

There wasn't a switch box (like on the photo on the ebay ad) and so I had nowhere to plug the 8-pin plug into. So rather than pull all of the wires out of the 8-pin plug and wire them into the empty slots on the OE plug I merely used a stanley knife and cut away the empty part of the OE plug and then plugged the 8-pin connector into the back of the stereo. There was a decent connection and everything clipped into place perfectly.

The earth wire needed to be touching the stereo housing otherwise it didn't work.

I may see if I can order a wire from another supplier of a similar box then because the people who supplied mine have dissapeared off the face of the earth!

I'll try the DP switches as you describe and see how we go from there.

Cheers,

J

The way you have connected it up sounds OK. Are you sure you havent trapped any wires in the process causing some sort of short?
If thats all ok, it maybe worth contacting the ebay seller off the above ad and see if they will sell you just the wiring.

I can't see that I've trapped any wires or damaged anything. Everything appears to be completely intact.

Its really peculiar and I'm now beginning to wonder if I have a dodgy cable or if there's something else shorting somewhere.

The behaviour of the thing (cutting out and just stopping working altogether after about 10 seconds play each time and also cutting out and shutting off as soon as the ignition is turned on) suggests there is a short of some sort, its just a case of finding out where on earth it is!

Thanks for your help so far anyway!

J

Hi I bought a USB YBTEC player for VW Golf, with Gamma Radio 5, and works well when the engine is off, but when the engine starts, stops detecting the USB.
Have you found the problem?

i had the same problem with the YBTEC adapter with my A3 8L with concert 2.

the problem :
- the interface is poorly designed and when you start the car and the voltage rise to 14v the interface stops working.

the solution :
- you'll have to buy a regulator (LM7812)
- the regulator has to be installed on the 12v feed line of the interface (in my case it was the orange wire)
here's the scheme :
- orange wire from headunit to LM7812 pin1.
- LM7812 pin2 to GND
- from LM7812 pin3 to interface

the LM7812 converts the 14v to stabilized 12v so the interface can work correctly.

PS : the LM7812 dissipate excess of voltage to heat, so make sure to isolate it as it can heat up.