Problem when Accelerating

davidb1988

Reaction score
Hi there.

Just looking for some guidance. Still new to Audi's and even more new to Turbos!
Got a problem with my car that has developed. I manage to start the car fine, it runs fine and when not in gear or anything if I rev it I get the dial to the red no problem.

However when driving along, as soon as I put my foot down from 2nd gear upwards the car stops accelerating and violently judders, as if I could smash my head on the windscreen sometimes, because it wont get passed 3000 revs under normal acceleration. If I accelerate heavy it is about 2500 revs. The turbo goes crazy and you can hear this in the video below. The boost gauge shows the needle go off the scale and when I am accelerating and this is happening the needle is like trying to force itself to go more by constantly vibrating at the highest it can.

I have done a video to show you and let you hear what is happening from inside the car. I'm sorry it is not the best, in fact, pretty rubbish quality but was filmed holding a phone at 1am in the morning lol.

Appreciate any help etc and sorry if I have missed a thread with someone with the same problem!

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird, looks like fuel cut..? or an hard limp mode any fault codes?

Yeah weird I know lol!
Hmmm I thought something to do with fuel, but then engine continues to run fine and doesnt sound like its cutting out. Just as if overboosting but not sending power. Make sense?

Haven't actually got a VAGcom or hooked it up to one yet, dont know anyone near me who has one so may have to see a garage. But thought would ask you guys first.

The car is quite cold looking at the temp gauge on your vid, does this happen when the car is warm as well??

It could be a faulty N75 valve, although that is a quite extreme form of the limp mode.

Try disconnecting it and see if that makes any difference at all.

The car is quite cold looking at the temp gauge on your vid, does this happen when the car is warm as well??

It could be a faulty N75 valve, although that is a quite extreme form of the limp mode.

Yeah it was only 1*c outside.
It does seem to do it when it is warm yeah, but not at 2500, just 3000 revs then.

Ok will disconnect the N75 then and give that a try :)

Don't drive it like that at all till you have sorted what the problem is , If the boost gauge is going off the end of the scale then you have some serious issues that will lead to turbo failure quite quickly.The engine is telling you there is a serious problem but you seem to be ignoring that.
Has somebody fitted one of those stupid manual boost controllers ? .

Karl.

The boost gauge shows the needle go off the scale and when I am accelerating and this is happening the needle is like trying to force itself to go more by constantly vibrating at the highest it can.

???

What is it you're driving? A3/S3? What year?
It seems something is failing pretty badly to be honest. Some more info would be useful though.

I would stop driving it until you've figured out what the problem is..

Could be worth trying the MAF sensor after you've tried the N75 too.

Have replaced the MAF with a brand new Bosch one so not that.

Don't drive it like that at all till you have sorted what the problem is , If the boost gauge is going off the end of the scale then you have some serious issues that will lead to turbo failure quite quickly.The engine is telling you there is a serious problem but you seem to be ignoring that.
Has somebody fitted one of those stupid manual boost controllers ? .

Karl.

Hey Pal, As far as I am aware no. Where would I check to see if they have?
It is not a daily driver atm until I get this issue fixed. It was simply only driven then to be able to record that video to show you guys what happened. Literally that was just outside of my house.

???

What is it you're driving? A3/S3? What year?
It seems something is failing pretty badly to be honest. Some more info would be useful though.

I would stop driving it until you've figured out what the problem is..

Its a A3 1.8T 2000 year.
I had a hunch something must be failing badly :S

Im in Lowestoft, Suffolk, most easterly point of uk lol
Have got a mate close by who might be able to get hold of a VAGcom so hopefully he can.

Might be worth haven a look on the vcds map and see who is close to you and send a little pm

Just to let you know, even with the N75 disconnected it not made a difference.

OK mate, its really worth getting the car scanned to see if there are any faults and that will help you along the way.

Yes I can't figure it out so going to book it into badgers next week if no has the answer lol

Yes I can't figure it out so going to book it into badgers next week if no has the answer lol

I have a mechanic looking at mine tonight so fingers crossed he can find something. If not got a VCDS on Saturday and will then also hopefully get it sorted!