Problem on my A3

stugolf

Reaction score
Hi guyz, recently purchased an A3 3.2 DSG (love it to bits)

It developed a problem last night while driving along at 40mph, the car started to shake a little bit, like a loose wheel, not through the steering so I can only assume its something to do with the back on the car, so I pulled over checked all the wheel nuts which were tight so I drove on, the vibration continued only after about 35mph I sped up to 70mph and it was better but still there,

Is it a wheel issue do you think? Or something to do with the rear diff?

Thanks for your help!!

Could be a bearing or a loose shock/spring

What year is the car? do you have warrenty?

I would definately get it checked out though

How bad is the vibration?
Could just be the that some of the lead weights to balance the wheels have popped off.

Its an 04, no warranty I'm afraid, could it be a buckled wheel? The vibration gets gradually worse if I stick at the same speed, seems worse when on the throttle slightly, and when I free wheel its better but still there, seems to go away when I start braking as well

I had the exact same problem on my golf vr6 it turned out to be the bearing!you could check it just put both hand around your tyre and try to move it side to side if there is excessive movement then it should be the bearing

I tried that mate, both back wheels are solid and don't budge at all, they don't seem to make any kind of noise either when you spin them, I also checked for loose driveshafts and there both very tight

Could it be the exhaust rattling off the bumper my any chance?

the rubber dampers could have perished that support the exhaust mounts at the back

Could that cause the whole car to shake?

Looks far worse than first thought, checked both wheels, there fine, all hub and bearing seem ok, fearing it could be the prop shaft or 4WD system at fault, if anyone has any advice what I can check next? cheers

BUMP!

The car does shake violently as well, it starts off slowly but if you maintain your speed the shaking gets so bad you have to stop as you can't see where your going and it feels like the car is shaking to bits, only seems to start happening when the car is warm as well, say after 2 miles? something is out of balance badly on the car just have to figure out what!

Get it booked in and checked over. Regardless of the cost involved, you could end up causing a serious accident or worse

Its currently off the road and is going into Audi next Monday, just if anyone has advice in the mean time?

So theres no noises?

No bulges in the tyres or anything?

Nope, no buldges or iffy looking tyres/wheels no noises from the bearings or diff, no problems changing gears on the DSG (even from Drive to Reverse) and when you set off its as smooth as silk... until you get to 40mph

Well after all the investigation work and issues with the gearbox, diff, haldex etc, I have figured out its 2 buckled rear wheels! I tried some brand new wheels on the back last night and it didn't vibrate at all!

Obvious question....How did you manage that?? And what wheels are you running? OEM or aftermarkets?

Well I've only had the car 2 weeks so it wasn't me! I aasume the previus ownder has drove the car with flat tyres or the wheels have been swapped at some point for a dodgy batch