problem after problem... juddering...

Reaction score
hello guys
today when just cruisin along i experienced the car starting to 'judder' on my 2.0 tdi 140. this was about a week after pulling oof a petrol station and experiencing the same thing however it quickly dissappeared. the car has a rough ish idle however the judders are intermittent when driving.

after reading up on numerous threads, i have heard that there are loom issues and injector issues which i thought it might have been. can anyone enlighten me on this one? on costs also?

ive got to the point where im sick to death of the car now after spending an arm and a leg fixing it so theres no doubt it will be up for sale in the coming months

thanks guys all help much appreciated

ian

We need details Ian. For example:

1. Was the engine cold/hot?
2. What speed was the engine doing at the time?
3. What road speed was the car doing at the time?
4. How much throttle were you applying?
5. Did it judder randomly whilst doing constant speed?
6. Did it judder whilst accelerating?
7. What did you do to make the juddering stop?
8. What sort of frequency was the juddering? (i.e. 1Hz/5Hz/20Hz?)
9. How many miles on the car?
10. Has it been remapped?

You get the idea - the more details you give, the more chance there is that we can suggest potential causes. All we know at the moment is that it's vibrating sometimes.

hello heeman,
at 1st i notied it when coming out of a petrol station last week doing about 5 miles per hour. then it just dissappeared. then it just came back yesterday when doing 30 mph on a normal road the engine does it both hot and cold and the judering stays relitiveley low until i put my foot down. it increases alot more. it seems as though the car struggles when going uphill but when i apply more throttle it may go or if i ease off it may also go. so its intermittent. cars done a fair few miles 95000 has had a new turbo new intercooler full service not long ago, all filters changed and yes its had a remap.

dave i thought that at first but it isnt that. just went down to awesome gti then and put it on the vagcom. the tech there says its the injector loom which is the problem, which is a common fault so ive been told.

@crunchie- i dont have quattro mate... soon though :)

so 150 quid or thereabouts i think its gna cost

so am i heeman!!! the cars a pain in the backside i just want to get this fixed and put it up for sale.
i was expecting the worst though like an injector but john at awesome said it wouldnt be an injector, due to the fact they have about 200 volts running through them it would fry the ecu (something like that) so if it was an injector, the car wouldnt start as a protection mechanism.

sort of understand it but it is mechanic talk to me

and them injectors are soooooooooo expensive!!

ian

hi ian, had the same problem with my tdi, it was the injector loom. It is yet ANOTHER common fault with these engines. The looms not that exspensive but fiddly to fit. The loom goes brittle with heat and the vibration of the engine makes and breaks contact within the loom causing missfire.

hello ste
jesus ANOTHER common fault just like the shi**y turbos aswell! i chose audi because i thought they were reliable, even with the milage. i just read all over the net to try and find more about it and like you said i found a source which states that the vibrations and the heat brakes the contact within the loom. can i just ask how much it cost you ste to get it fixed?
car seems to struggle to start and runs like a bag of nails when setting off,some smoke is evident from the exhaust was this the same as yours? and more importantly did you drive it because i certainly dont want to!

hi mate, mine had pretty much the same symptoms as yours. my mate had a spare injector loom so i tried that first and luckily for me it cured the fault. I fitted it myself and would guess the part is prob around £100 from audi

glad yours got sorted mate (y) i hope it is the only thing which needs replacing on mine! what exactly does it look like? ans my car has nearly hit the 95k mark so im just wondering if the injectors will be okay? after replacing the turbo and the intercooler :( bad times mate. thanks for your help

hi mate, its just a load of wires with a multiplug on the end. IT branches off to the injectors.You will need the cam cover off to see it/replace it. I know the injectors are not cheap so hope its just the loom breaking down. good luck with it

Guys, took the car down to awesome gti and had the loom replaced... and it didnt cure the problem... so im wondering... what the heck could it be?!?

all help greatly appreciated guys :( cheers

ian

i use to have a judder fuel pump help to fix mine and also long life oil helped as well....

hi ian, thought the loom might of cured your problem. hopefully someone on here will come up with some ideas. they do your head in dont they problems like that.

found out what the problem is guys.
one of the injectors had decided to split in half so i was told and the engine was lucky enough the survive as it could have well had a catostrophic effect on the cams ect. so theres another 800 quid spend on a new injector and some other parts in relation to it that hold it in place (i cant remember) :( not a good 6 months for me to say the least... and the car will deffiniteley be up for sale in the next few months. will be sad to see it go really as ive treated it the best i can, detailed every 2 weeks with a list of brand new things that would easily cover 2 a4 sheets.

cheers for the help guys

ian

If you're going to get it fixed then why sell it ? You've loved it and looked after it so when it's fixed why not keep loving it ??

alot of people have said exactly what you have said mike. the car is on 95k now, and i dont drive it hard on the regular to say the least. its cost me so much to fix the damn thing ive come to a point that ive lost all faith in it, and im not confident behind the wheel of it, just waiting for the next thing to go wrong.
tbh mate i just want to get a car with warranty, ill probably be more happier then with money in the bank too.

a tt is on the cards at the moment along with the scirocco

alot of people have said exactly what you have said mike. the car is on 95k now, and i dont drive it hard on the regular to say the least. its cost me so much to fix the damn thing ive come to a point that ive lost all faith in it, and im not confident behind the wheel of it, just waiting for the next thing to go wrong.
tbh mate i just want to get a car with warranty, ill probably be more happier then with money in the bank too.

a tt is on the cards at the moment along with the scirocco

My car has a warranty but doesnt cover injectors.....FAIL!

rigla- i hope to god nothing happens with yours mate!!!! imo a warranty should cover everything on a car. dealerships now are robbing b******* and its a shame really. all my mates have cars that are over 10 years old and they dont give a toss about them yet nothing has gone wrong with them! i cant believe that your warranty dosent cover injectors :S as long as it covers the turbo mate!!

mike, im extremeley lucky to have extremeley good parents who want the best for me. ive just turned 21 and they bought the car for me a year and a half ago. im a student who lives at home, works my *** off part time to pay for the things i want and ive got another 3 ish months of hard work till i change the car, i know it will be worth it though. id probably be more happier with the key with 4 rings in my pocket than a volkswagen one however like you said, both great cars.

you know you love the grandkids! i wouldnt stick them in the back of a tt! haha...

the day i have grandkids...that will be one day

mike, im extremeley lucky to have extremeley good parents who want the best for me. ive just turned 21 and they bought the car for me a year and a half ago. im a student who lives at home, works my *** off part time to pay for the things i want and ive got another 3 ish months of hard work till i change the car, i know it will be worth it though. id probably be more happier with the key with 4 rings in my pocket than a volkswagen one however like you said, both great cars.

you know you love the grandkids! i wouldnt stick them in the back of a tt! haha...

the day i have grandkids...that will be one day

Clearly you appreciate your good fortune and work hard to sustain and justify it. I agree with the four rings by the way !

Good luck mate - I wish there were more like you - and good luck with the grandkids - in about 30 years !!! :beerchug:

cheers mike, appreciate what youve said mate.

i dont doubt audi, as audi=quality for me. i just think ive bought one car sat in the bad batch of the bkd engines :(

live and learn as they say.

im sure that 30 years will come soon enough haha im feeling older by the day! i just need a beard to finish off the process lol!