Probably a Daft Question but....

taylorc

A4 BE Quattro S-Tronic
Reaction score
With the manual lighting if you leave DRL switched on does it drain the battery or is it ok to leave them on?

I think he means when you switch the engine off :think:

In that case don't worry about it, the DRLs only come on with the ignition. It's a nice set-up as you never have to think about switching them on and off.

Ever heard of leakage current? (which would not be enough to drive the LED's).... obviously not!

Thanks to those whose answers were helpful.

The main clue that they won't drain the battery, is when you walk to the front of the car with the key in your hand and see they're not lit.

lmfao, yeah slight small hint lol

Do you seriously think Audi would let thousands of cars out with such an obvious design fault? The switch doesn't switch the DRL circuit on/off, it simply changes the signal to the Central Electrics module, which will always kill the circuit when the ignition is off. The facelift cars don't even bother having the switch, so if there was any problem with leakage current we would have heard of thousands of facelift cars being stranded with flat batteries by now. So as a rough guide in these situations, refer to my first post.

I hope that's a little more helpful for you.

(besides, you're the one the said it was probably a daft question)

Last edited:
No doubt for the same reason all VAG cars, unlike some others, will automatically turn off the headlights when to take the ignition key out no matter what position the lighting switch is in.

Do you seriously think Audi would let thousands of cars out with such an obvious design fault? The switch doesn't switch the DRL circuit on/off, it simply changes the signal to the Central Electrics module, which will always kill the circuit when the ignition is off. The facelift cars don't even bother having the switch, so if there was any problem with leakage current we would have heard of thousands of facelift cars being stranded with flat batteries by now. So as a rough guide in these situations, refer to my first post.

I hope that's a little more helpful for you.

(besides, you're the one the said it was probably a daft question)

1. Mine is a facelift but you still need to switch it on as the Auto Lighting feature is an option and is not standard.
2. As I have never owned an Audi before how would I know that such a "design fault" does not exist hence the question.
3. Yes it was a bit of a daft question but what I was expecting was a simple straight to the point answer, not sarcasm
4. This is the whole point of a Forum is it not?

Peace :zen::respekt:

1. I've driven facelift cars with neither auto lights nor a switch for the DRLs, which is why I assumed your car wasn't a facelift.
2. My first response covered the fact that it isn't a known fault, or it would have been longer.
3. My first response was simple, straight to the point and included no sarcasm.
4. Yes.

:thumbsup:

I have nothing to add to this issue, but:

Do you seriously think Audi would let thousands of cars out with such an obvious design fault?

The obvious answer is yes. :jester: We've seen a lot of obvious design faults lately on the forums (i.e. open sky noise, doors lets water onto expensive BOSE speakers).

The doors are a wet design, it isn't a design fault, it's a design option. If the speakers aren't designed for a wet environment, that's the design fault.

I do take your point, there are faults out there, but something that repeatedly disables a car (from new) would be a bit too obvious to slip through in my opinion.