Pro Alloy Intercooler

DeckedS3

Reaction score
Monday I ventured up 70 miles to Pro-Alloy to get my intercooler fitted and Forge Throttle body pipe.
First off I they gave me a tour of the workshop and build/design processes. I didn’t actually realise what they did from a motorsport perspective. Basically they have their fingers in a lot of pies, but some big recent jobs have been with Ford, building the upgraded IC for the ST that is now being installed by Ford at the factory when the customer upgrades the IC (it’s a build option) and they also do the Focus RS IC. Other than that they work on a lot of Lotus kits, Vauxhall, Ford, VW etc.... They also do fuel tanks and catch cans etc. There was some Noble and Jag pieces about too. Everything else was special pieces for customers. I’ve got to say I was impressed with the quality of the work.
Here is the kit:
3902858605_5118cfc6cf_b.jpg

I then got to see the build of my IC, they took me through the design and how they got to that being the better option. Basically, they believed the Audi OEM design was good (size etc) but the flow was poor with large areas of turbulence. They wanted to keep it quite stealth so they have only made the actual IC a little larger, and 1cm thicker with larger a surface area and the core is much bigger, they showed me how and at the time it all made sense. Everything about the IC build was top dog! Despite the fact it will never be seen behind the bumper, it looks great, every weld is perfect and finished off really well with a brushed alloy finish.
3902858791_24a2a4a6ab_b.jpg

3902858123_c4095b8529_b.jpg

3903638482_a2f27750e2_b.jpg

Down to the install, I left the car there and headed off to town for some lunch and a walk about. They basically needed to perfect the install notes from the initial install on Toby’s.
Everything went to plan and the car was ready at 4pm, they have changed the throttle body pipe for me too. The air con gas was back in and I took the car for a quick drive. It felt a little different, wasn’t sure what but I didn’t give it big beans! So I got back, we checked the water levels etc and everything was good, So I left and went on my way :D.
First thing I noticed, the car seemed to idle better and when slowing down it coasted better whilst in gear, a lot smoother and easier, like when you have the car mapped. As I got to the motorway and pulling on I slowed and dropped it into 4th and hoofed it! The best way of explaining it is, where before the torque band used to be at the max mid 3.5K it now starts building boost sooner by about 300rpm and holds on to that a lot further up the rev range very strong, (probably increased the big surge by about or mare than 500rpm). The restriction after that initial sure has reduced and the torque band is a little more aggressive, a lot stronger further up the rev range as well as down below. Now I’m not sure what the IC has done or the throttle body pipe, but whatever it is, it’s been well worth it! To top it all off, the car feels a lot more aerodynamic, I know that sounds silly, but that’s exactly how it feels. Well impressed with the transformation!
I’m going to run some data logs at some point and let you know the temp differences. Not stuck it on the dyno yet, I’d quite like to as I have done so throughout the tuning process, so watch this space, but on the road it feels very lively!
Only bad thing.... Although it hasn’t slipped yet, my clutch is starting to feel a little sloppy....:banghead: It may just be me but we’ll have to see how it goes!

Excellent write-up and pics!
Dare I ask the price of such an item?

cheers
Slim

Nice write up mate. What sort of gains are you expecting or is it not about peak performance but all through the range?

WOW Awesome write up . That IC looks the part :)
Iv just been on the Pro Alloy website and cant see this item for sale at the moment

Is it available to the public ?

The item was very reasonably priced if you ask me, very similar to the Forge, but after some research in inlet temps and the fact I didn't need to chop away any part of the bumper I wanted to go the Pro-Alloy way. It is a 4-5 hour install and they need to de-gas the air con but they obviously re-gas it. I would also advise while they are in there to fit the forge throttle body while they are in there as it's a nighmare to fit with the front end installed.
They originally fitted the kit to Toby's car, they have now gone through the fitting guide with mine and I believe they are happy to start working on getting a kit available to the public, either to install in house, or sent out to whoever for install.
TBH, I'm not expecting the power to have gone up much, if at all. Granted it feels different and the torque band is bigger/stronger but my last dyno reading was 372bhp with 360lbft, I don't really think I can get much more out of the K04 turbo.... Maybe I can, I don't know until I stick it on the dyno.
But the engine response and the way it drives is very unrestricted now.
I'm sure Pro-Alloy will be able to get it onto the market very soon if you asked nicely
:)

On June 24th i emailed AMD and Jabbasport who both told me the price was £670 plus VAT so total of £770 at 15% VAT. It`s a very nice intercooler and i would always get Proalloy stuff over Forge made things if possible as they are always designed for max performance not style and for the DIY fitting market like Forge stuff is.

I think I might go for one of these too!I called pro-alloy yesterday and they told me it would be 590 + vat and it would be about 4 weeks before it would be ready.

What have you done with your old intercooler? As i know that the TDI can be upgraded to an S3 intercooler ;)

Is there any more information available about this IC? - Length, Height, depth, capacity, pressure drop etc?

I would just like to say that Pro Alloy make some quality products however ...Forge is in the works , it will run with or with out the twintercooler so stay tuned ;-)

Last edited:
Whilst we make our intercoolers for direct bolt up and ease of fitment I can assure you it will do the job of any of the competitors , all are tried and tested , the twintercooler design will perform with the original intercooler as well as anything on the market , the development of the new Forge alloy FMIC to run with the Twintercooler will simply take it to another level

On June 24th i emailed AMD and Jabbasport who both told me the price was £670 plus VAT so total of £770 at 15% VAT. It`s a very nice intercooler and i would always get Proalloy stuff over Forge made things if possible as they are always designed for max performance not style and for the DIY fitting market like Forge stuff is.