PRNDS flashing on dashboard

yanis

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago I drove my TT Mk2 Quattro S-Tronic (2011, 69,000 km), everything was fine until the gear selector display on the dashboard (PRNDS) started blinking.

The blinking has been there ever since. The car behaves normally (after more than 1000 km), no loss of torque, or anything. The indicator flashes even when stopped (the P) and regardless of the position of the lever. Everything works well except paddles shifters that do not work when the lever is on manual position. However, they work very well in auto mode.

I could recently get my hands on a diagnostic tool and recover the following error in the gear box: "Gear lever X-Y position sensor circuit (permanent)". So it's apparently not a mechatronics issue.

Does anyone know what this is and how it can be fixed ?
Has it happened to anybody before ?

All help appreciated, thanks.

Microsoft under park position, mine did this, so I removed gear unit, got old used unit of eBay removed the switch & swapoed out mine, it's a pita but cheaper than new gear unit, only way to test is to depress switch with finger multiple times see if the flashing goes away.

I put it down to debri inside switch.

Thank you NHN for your answer, I will check that. Do you have any informations on how accessing the switch you're talking about (so I can do the tests) ? Thanks

Microsoft under park position, mine did this, so I removed gear unit, got old used unit of eBay removed the switch & swapoed out mine, it's a pita but cheaper than new gear unit, only way to test is to depress switch with finger multiple times see if the flashing goes away.

I put it down to debri inside switch.
Hi NHN,

Sol I manage to get to the microswitch under the lever. When I click on it I can here a noise like something unlocking (same sound when you press the button on gear knob when you want to move the lever). So I'm not 100% sure it's the switch you're talking about. I've read on other conversation that it is supposed to be covered by some rubber which is not the case for me. In my case it's like a metallic blade that I can push. So do you think it's the right switch ?
Thx.