Private Registration - Worth Selling?

chrisross

Reaction score
Hi
My car has (very) recently been written off (long story) but i noticed the insurance company give you the option of removing a private registration before they scrap the car.

The only problem here is the plate (S3 VPR) is the original registration that was on the car so there is no other registration to revert the car to.
Can the S3 registration be removed and the DVLA issue a new registration to the car?

Is it even worth bothering with trying to transfer it (i'd be looking to sell it) seeing as value of this plate is unlikely to be that high?
The registration is not personal to me it was on the car when i bought it.

id sell it mate id give ya £50.but seriously you could get some money for it anything up to £250

When you apply to have it removed from the car the DVLA will issue a new number for you. Nice and eay although they do charge you £105 for the service... Although that does include the retention fee and the transfer fee

J.

Do you actually have to physically take the plates off the previous car - I can't do this as its been salvaged?

Can the Reg be transferred straight on to someone else's car? (form V317?)

What sort of timescale would it take for the transfer to go through?

You can put it straight on to another car £80, take 10 days to enable you to put the plates on then another 2 weeks to get ur docs back... v371 form i think.....

chrisross said:
Do you actually have to physically take the plates off the previous car - I can't do this as its been salvaged?

Can the Reg be transferred straight on to someone else's car? (form V317?)

What sort of timescale would it take for the transfer to go through?

Nope, no need to physically remove plates, you can transfer the plate direct from your car to another, it'll save you the £25 retention fee so iinstead of teh £105 charge it's only £80.

You can visit your DVLA licensing office and wait and they will transfer the plate there and then for you but you normally have to queue for a couploe of hours. Personally I post mine and they run it around the same day. You then just have to wait for the new V5 to come through.

J.