Private Plates

MrTackalakalaka

Reaction score
Hi there everyone

My dad gave me his private plates about 6 months ago as he doesnt live in the UK anymore so didnt see the point in having them.

I can do what i want with them so i put them on websites for sale, so i can buy my own plates. Unfortunately they have not sold yet.
Does anyone know if you can swap/part exchange plates with any companies?
I tried REG-TRANSFERS but they wont do it.

Ive e-mailed a few others but no-one so far exchanges plates for plates.

cheers

Nope, DVLA don't buy them back. They don't need to as they get them back for nothing if you forget to renew the retention certificate.

Out of interest, what style is the plate? Is a prefix, suffix or a pre 1964 one?
Unfortunately plates are very difficult items to both value and to sell.

Nope, DVLA don't buy them back. They don't need to as they get them back for nothing if you forget to renew the retention certificate.

Out of interest, what style is the plate? Is a prefix, suffix or a pre 1964 one?
Unfortunately plates are very difficult items to both value and to sell.

Im not sure

Its 3 letters.......space......then 3 numbers. Reg-Transfers quoted me £2500 for it but all their listings seem a lot more expensive then everywhere else

Ah, that's a pre '64 plate, so in my eyes worth the most. I have a couple of these myself - one on the Speedster and one on the Cordoba and the Audi wears a much rarer 4 numbers & 1 letter from the late 1950's.

I know the dealers will either offer you about half the 'value' of the plate, or will offer to sell it for you on commission but I suspect they'll still want a fair chunk of money.

I got a couple of mine off eBay - have you tried selling it on there? It's free listing this weekend.

Alternatively you could try something like AutoCar magazine who always have a fair number of reg plates; or something like the Sunday Times motoring section, but they are both going to cost quite a bit to advertise.

Ah, that's a pre '64 plate, so in my eyes worth the most. I have a couple of these myself - one on the Speedster and one on the Cordoba and the Audi wears a much rarer 4 numbers & 1 letter from the late 1950's.

I know the dealers will either offer you about half the 'value' of the plate, or will offer to sell it for you on commission but I suspect they'll still want a fair chunk of money.

I got a couple of mine off eBay - have you tried selling it on there? It's free listing this weekend.

Alternatively you could try something like AutoCar magazine who always have a fair number of reg plates; or something like the Sunday Times motoring section, but they are both going to cost quite a bit to advertise.

Ah thats nice to know!! and thanks for the info!! I will chuck em up on ebay then!!!
Thanks again!!!

so what is the plate ?
link to the add ?

no i ment what is your private plate
or the link to the sale advert
i know what 1 is wanted to know what yours was ?

Havent got it for sale yet.
Its MCT 356

Hmm, that might be of interest to a 356 Speedster owner - I can stick a link up on the Speedsters forum for you when you have it advertised or on eBay. The forum is paid membership only so you can't do it yourself.

Hmm, that might be of interest to a 356 Speedster owner - I can stick a link up on the Speedsters forum for you when you have it advertised or on eBay. The forum is paid membership only so you can't do it yourself.

Thats awesome!!! thanks very much for that!! will let you know when i put it up!! Legend!

Yeh I have one of my plates on them s33nyb and I told them what I wanted for it. They have it online for more than double what I said!!!