Private Plate

edition

Reaction score
Hi,

Right have a private number plate question to ask!!!

First is i have a car that has no mot and hasnt for over a yr now that i want the plate off that to go on another car.

Can you do this without an mot???

Cheers,

Im not 100% sure on this situation but i cant see why not. When i put mine on a certificate they just asked for the V5 and a completed V778 i think it was. When it comes back on the certificate they ask you to send your old tax disc back to them.

No it needs an MOT to transfer the plate. And don't be surprised if the DVLA ask to inspect the car when you want to transfer it.

You learn something new everyday. Why would the DVLA want to inspect it? Is it because its been sitting there without an MOT for a year?

yes, they will only allocate the plate to your car if you have a valid MOT.

I MOT motorbikes and I sometimes have to MOT old british bikes without a registration plate (marked as not displayed) so the DVLA can assign one to them.

As far as I know, DVLA will only look into matters if they belive you have a dodgy MOT done for the purposes of selling on a registration.

Right, ****** going to have to mot it then to get the plate off!

Surely it's only the car that the plate is being transferred on to that needs an MOT?

You learn something new everyday. Why would the DVLA want to inspect it? Is it because its been sitting there without an MOT for a year?

Yes it has been known for rotting chassis to be given an MOT - ie a dodgy one. A gargae near me did this years ago, and lost their MOT licence for 5 years!!

So what happens if you have your 25 grand private plate on your car and write it off. Surely you can't MOT a written off car in order to transfer the plate?

EDIT: Just read the direct.gov.uk page and it says that if the car is under three years old or has been untaxed for less than 12 months then an MOT is not required. Presumably if you've just written your car off it will have been taxed.