Private plate swap for new car?

Spinstorm

Reaction score
I have today agreed a deal to buy an LE saloon for £64k. Paid the deposit etc.

But I have a private plate on my current car that I am PX and DVLA site says this takes 4-6 weeks for a replacement log book?!

The dealer says they can’t complete the sale until I have the log book for the previous registration (unless I want to give up the private plate - which I don’t).

Is there any way around this?

It won't take that long. Put the plate on retention by doing it online as that is immediate with paperwork arriving a few days later. In my experience the V5 only takes a few days as well.

TX.

Edit - congrats though!

Reactions: DangerMouseUK, Jcbmally, kayemill and 3 others
I had this issue once, we agreed the dealer could keep hold of the spare key until I brought him the updated log book. Only took a week for the new log book

Reactions: Jcbmally and Spinstorm
Thanks. The online service to remove the plate is only available 7am to 7pm?! Why does an online service have opening hours :yes:

I am keeping my VS order - I am hoping that the value of the LE come the delivery of the VS might allow me to do a swap and save money too. But we will see.

I might remove the wireless charging first! Lol

Reactions: NevMan and RS3ree
Thanks. The online service to remove the plate is only available 7am to 7pm?! Why does an online service have opening hours :yes:

I am keeping my VS order - I am hoping that the value of the LE come the delivery of the VS might allow me to do a swap and save money too. But we will see.

I might remove the wireless charging first! Lol
Just applied to remove the private plate on my wife's ford online. Less than 2 weeks for me. Also some government sites shutdown for the weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spinstorm

But I have a private plate on my current car that I am PX and DVLA site says this takes 4-6 weeks for a replacement log book?!

The dealer says they can’t complete the sale until I have the log book for the previous registration (unless I want to give up the private plate - which I don’t).

out deposit wich will secure car and it will take few days but have to do all online

What price where the LE initially?

Reactions: NevMan
I put mine on retention on the Friday and got the new V5 the following Wednesday. Plate was on new car waiting for me on the Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally, Spinstorm and 1 other person
I’ve done this twice now - on both mine and the wife’s car at two different Audi dealers. On both occasions they swapped the plates immediately using the DVLA system and asked me for a £250 deposit for me to send them the V5 on the old car when it came back from the DVLA.

On both occasions the V5 turned up in a couple of days which I then sent on to the dealers by recorded delivery and they then refunded the deposit. Each time the whole process took about a week.

One thing I forgot about because my S5 had been pre registered I had to pay a years car tax unlike on a new one when that’s already included in the price.

Reactions: Jcbmally

Good price for LE... Might make the £70k chancers think again.
Why would you want to swap this LE for VS when your other order comes...? The VS spec is basically heading towards a standard edition given what they are stripping off them lol... Your LE has more options and probably worth more than VS now...

I’ve done this twice now - on both mine and the wife’s car at two different Audi dealers. On both occasions they swapped the plates immediately using the DVLA system and asked me for a £250 deposit for me to send them the V5 on the old car when it came back from the DVLA.

On both occasions the V5 turned up in a couple of days which I then sent on to the dealers by recorded delivery and they then refunded the deposit. Each time the whole process took about a week.

One thing I forgot about because my S5 had been pre registered I had to pay a years car tax unlike on a new one when that’s already included in the price.
Interesting. The dealer told me they couldn't do anything. Maybe if I'd been
bit pushier but the DVLA site actually said 3-5 days for the new logbook so I might still be able to collect next week.
I don't want to be rude about salespeople but we all know that dealer salespeople aren't very bright.

Good price for LE... Might make the £70k chancers think again.
Why would you want to swap this LE for VS when your other order comes...? The VS spec is basically heading towards a standard edition given what they are stripping off them lol... Your LE has more options and probably worth more than VS now...

You are right about this but it is also possible that if the value of the LE stays where it is I can swap for the VS and save money as it will reduce my monthly payments AND reset my mileage to 0.
My VS is still week 35 build so it will turn up in September so I have time to think about.

I won't lie I'm most excited about being about to use wireless Android Auto with a WIRELESS charger. Because Audi as we all know seems to think that we don't want to charge our phones while we are draining the battery wireless. (And plugging it in means it's not wireless anymore!).

What price where the LE initially?
£57,900 for saloon. So we are still talking £7k over list but when you consider as was stated earlier that the LE has features removed from the VS (only the fancier wheels and memory seats are different on the saloon) and my VS was list £59,500 it's a reasonable price for not waiting until September.

£57,900 for saloon. So we are still talking £7k over list but when you consider as was stated earlier that the LE has features removed from the VS (only the fancier wheels and memory seats are different on the saloon) and my VS was list £59,500 it's a reasonable price for not waiting until September.
Really don't like the matte/Teflon finish on the LE ,plus your gambling with the used car markets prices and you do a lot of mileage ?

Reactions: NevMan
It won't take that long. Put the plate on retention by doing it online as that is immediate with paperwork arriving a few days later. In my experience the V5 only takes a few days as well.

TX.

Edit - congrats though!

Am surprised you haven’t bitten the bullet John ?

Really don't like the matte/Teflon finish on the LE ,plus your gambling with the used car markets prices and you do a lot of mileage ?
The wheels are very easy to redo - especially as they aren’t diamond cut. A smart repair guy could come out and respray them to glossy.

I used to do lots of mileage. I average out around 1k a month which isn’t that much anymore (at least not enough to make the car high mileage although I’m sure some people do much less every month/year).

As far as trading in this LE when the VS comes it’s not something I’m having to decide now. It is a possible way to save myself monthly payments IF the LE is worth enough over the amount of finance/value of the car. If it isn’t I’ll keep the LE. The dealer would have a Vorsprung for sale which I’m sure would go fast so they won’t mind.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Question:
This LE is registered to the dealer. I want to put my private plate on it. Can I do it before I collect the car?

Looking at the DVLA website is a bit confusing.

Question:
This LE is registered to the dealer. I want to put my private plate on it. Can I do it before I collect the car?

Looking at the DVLA website is a bit confusing.
Only the present car owner can do the swap.
Once your private plate is taken-off, you should get a new V5 with the original plate within a week for your existing 8V and few days later a newV750, as the owner of the private plate, through the letter box.
THEN,
Whoever the owner can then do the swap as they will have both the reference from the V750 and the V5 to initiate the change of number plate instantly.
Soon as this is done online, DVLA message will confirm the plates can be changed, with statement to inform the Insurance company.

Question:

Looking at the DVLA website is a bit confusing
Not sure you can do it before but you can certainly do it while your there.

My S5 was registered to the dealer too. Had appointment at 11.30 to pick the car up - arrived with the plate on my TTRS and left about hour later with the plate on the S5. Same For the wife’s Q3.

Both cars were obtained from different dealership groups on different sides of the country so Id ask dealer why it can’t be done or more specially why they aren’t willing to do it for you

Last edited:
Am surprised you haven’t bitten the bullet John ?

Equivalent of my car though are all over £70k, can't bring myself to do it!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8YARWY and Jcbmally
Equivalent of my car though are all over £70k, can't bring myself to do it!

TX.

Lol true…..it ain’t a 70k car.

Reactions: 3vans

My S5 was registered to the dealer too. Had appointment at 11.30 to pick the car up - arrived with the plate on my TTRS and left about hour later with the plate on the S5. Same For the wife’s Q3.

Both cars were obtained from different dealership groups on different sides of the country so Id ask dealer why it can’t be done or more specially why they aren’t willing to do it for you

I have taken the plate off my car - I am waiting on finance approval. Once that is confirmed I will see if I can find a way to swap the car without delay but I don’t think my sales person is experienced so probably doesn’t know better as he sounds young.

Can you explain what happened with the V5 form? As you need to give them it when you PX the car…

I have taken the plate off my car - I am waiting on finance approval. Once that is confirmed I will see if I can find a way to swap the car without delay but I don’t think my sales person is experienced so probably doesn’t know better as he sounds young.

Can you explain what happened with the V5 form? As you need to give them it when you PX the car…

On both occasions they were happy to take the car I was trading in without being given the V5.

Instead they asked and I paid a £200 deposit that was fully refunded after I sent them the updated V5 for the traded in car after I got it back from the DVLA. The was no big discussion about it , on both occasions they just did it.

Noticed you’ve mentioned finance approval - is the V5 in your name or that of the finance company? If it’s the later wonder if that may be the issue here

On both occasions they were happy to take the car I was trading in without being given the V5.

Instead they asked and I paid a £200 deposit that was fully refunded after I sent them the updated V5 for the traded in car after I got it back from the DVLA. The was no big discussion about it , on both occasions they just did it.

Noticed you’ve mentioned finance approval - is the V5 in your name or that of the finance company? If it’s the later wonder if that may be the issue here

Normal pcp so it would be in his name not the banks

Reactions: abmat, Spinstorm and Frizzley
You are right about this but it is also possible that if the value of the LE stays where it is I can swap for the VS and save money as it will reduce my monthly payments AND reset my mileage to 0.
My VS is still week 35 build so it will turn up in September so I have time to think about.
If there's one thing I wouldn't bet on at the moment, it's 8Y RS3 cars holding their inflated values.

As of writing there are 92 cars listed for sale on Autotrader with more probably on Audi Official Used that haven't made it to AT yet.

There isn't a single other car in the marketplace right now that has been speculated on as much as this one, I can guarantee that the prices are going to correct themselves at one point in the near future and when they do it isn't going to be pretty.

I've heard from a few people now that there are a fair few cars starting to come into the UK and a lot of them have been cancelled by the people who ordered them, dealers will try to keep the prices artificially high for as long as they can as it's just extra profit but the prices have recently started slipping. Whether or not Audi UK have handled this whole launch atrociously is another matter but they definitely haven't helped this with allowing dealers to pre-register swathes of cars and stick 20% on top of them.

Just don't count on the LE holding it's value, I'd roughly assume in 6 months time it will be sub 58k anything above that take it as a bonus.

Apart from that sounds like you got a good deal on the LE so why not enjoy it, better than waiting around until after summer for a car!!!

If there's one thing I wouldn't bet on at the moment, it's 8Y RS3 cars holding their inflated values.

As of writing there are 92 cars listed for sale on Autotrader with more probably on Audi Official Used that haven't made it to AT yet.

There isn't a single other car in the marketplace right now that has been speculated on as much as this one, I can guarantee that the prices are going to correct themselves at one point in the near future and when they do it isn't going to be pretty.

I've heard from a few people now that there are a fair few cars starting to come into the UK and a lot of them have been cancelled by the people who ordered them, dealers will try to keep the prices artificially high for as long as they can as it's just extra profit but the prices have recently started slipping. Whether or not Audi UK have handled this whole launch atrociously is another matter but they definitely haven't helped this with allowing dealers to pre-register swathes of cars and stick 20% on top of them.

Just don't count on the LE holding it's value, I'd roughly assume in 6 months time it will be sub 58k anything above that take it as a bonus.

Apart from that sounds like you got a good deal on the LE so why not enjoy it, better than waiting around until after summer for a car!!!

If the car is still worth £58k in 6 months then that is enough to do a swap but let’s see - that isn’t why I am buying it. My current car is 4 years old and I want the new version as I love the RS3 (I am sure like everyone here) plus it is something I make content on for my YouTube channel - so far over 200k views from the videos.

If it is swappable in 6 months then I will cross that bridge then and if not ill get my £1k deposit back.

As for the V5 - the finance is not a company name - it’s PCP as suggested. I just think the salesperson is new and inexperienced and really if it wasn’t for me pushing I am not sure would close the deal. When the finance is confirmed I will then ask the question about doing it sooner.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK
If the car is still worth £58k in 6 months then that is enough to do a swap but let’s see - that isn’t why I am buying it. My current car is 4 years old and I want the new version as I love the RS3 (I am sure like everyone here) plus it is something I make content on for my YouTube channel - so far over 200k views from the videos.

If it is swappable in 6 months then I will cross that bridge then and if not ill get my £1k deposit back.

As for the V5 - the finance is not a company name - it’s PCP as suggested. I just think the salesperson is new and inexperienced and really if it wasn’t for me pushing I am not sure would close the deal. When the finance is confirmed I will then ask the question about doing it sooner.

Maybe ask to deal with sales manager if sales hasn’t got a clue

Maybe ask to deal with sales manager if sales hasn’t got a clue
I will wait for the finance to be approved (hopefully tomorrow) and then if I can do anything to get the car before the V5 arrives then I will but if as most of you guys suggest it turns up with a week I may be able to collect anyway by the weekend.

Reactions: RS03??? and NevMan

I was thinking about this - I suppose if you transferred ownership to the dealer they could remove your plate but they would have to send you the form for plate retention.

I don't see how they can transfer it to a new car without that form reference number? There is no legal way I can see where you can make that swap right away.
If I turned up with the retention form I could swap it there and then - they would just have to make up the new plates for me.

I have also looked at the logbook I have - each copy has a different reference number so the dealer wouldn't be able to transfer ownership until they have the latest logbook with the correct reference.

EDIT: I have seen that you can sell a car without the V5 - it is totally allowed but you need to inform the DVLA. Nevertheless unclear if this is possible online for the dealer to do.

Can anyone suggest a way around this? as it seems to me I will just have to wait for the new log book.

I was thinking about this - I suppose if you transferred ownership to the dealer they could remove your plate but they would have to send you the form for plate retention.

I don't see how they can transfer it to a new car without that form reference number? There is no legal way I can see where you can make that swap right away.
If I turned up with the retention form I could swap it there and then - they would just have to make up the new plates for me.

I have also looked at the logbook I have - each copy has a different reference number so the dealer wouldn't be able to transfer ownership until they have the latest logbook with the correct reference.

EDIT: I have seen that you can sell a car without the V5 - it is totally allowed but you need to inform the DVLA. Nevertheless unclear if this is possible online for the dealer to do.

Can anyone suggest a way around this? as it seems to me I will just have to wait for the new log book.

there was nothing illegal Its was all done online - Dealerships have access to specific motor trade services at the DVLA Which provides the required ref no instantly rather than relying on paperwork being sent through the post.

Simple call to your dealer should resolve the issue

I seem to remember sending the dealer a screenshot of the confirmation screen when I put the plate on retention. Think that’s what they use to assign to your new car.

Am l the only one here who doesn't bother about a vanity plate? Lol

Reactions: NevMan and Frizzley
I got our two when our twins were born for when they are driving. (Learning right now) So mine will go soon. Haven't decided if I will replace with a new one for me or not. The downside to having had my sons one on for the last 17 years is that everyone thinks my name is Finlay. Iv'e just went with it though!

I got our two when our twins were born for when they are driving. (Learning right now) So mine will go soon. Haven't decided if I will replace with a new one for me or not. The downside to having had my sons one on for the last 17 years is that everyone thinks my name is Finlay. Iv'e just went with it though!
Nice one Finlay...lol

• Haha
Reactions: kayemill
I put mine on retention on the Friday and got the new V5 the following Wednesday. Plate was on new car waiting for me on the Friday.

TBH they are a PITA.

They are a lot easier to swap now than when I first got it but Its cost me more in transfer fees than it actually cost me to buy it:sadlike:

Lol I used to have this…….

A guy shouted “Ya Whore” one day

IMG 9083

• Haha
Reactions: rngDeadeye, RS03???, kayemill and 1 other person
I have a few, can't stop buying them! There is a RS03 plate available with my surname ... must ... resist.

TX.

Reactions: NevMan and 8YARWY
We've got matching plates, they're awesome.

Each to their own, I know they're marmite and it does concern me sometimes when I'm driving around with my name on the back helping the po-po with their enquiries.

When was this? Pre-pandemic or a few weeks ago?