Privacy glass

Scott

Reaction score
Hi all

Picked up my S3 earlier and it's awesome but just noticed how rubbish the privacy glass is! It's difficult to tell at night but it's certainly not as dark as the 8P was, and is barely noticeable at all IMO. It's fitted according to the extra codes (VW1)

Has anyone else noticed this?

Cheers,
Scott

If you don't select privacy glass, are the windows still tinted slightly? All of the demo cars I've seen without privacy glass as an option had fairly dark windows in my opinion.

I know some people like it, but to me, especially if the car is a black 3-door, it makes the car look like a van. No quite so bad on a Sportback. When I drove a car with it at the weekend I found it made the view in the interior mirror look very dark. Daylight in the front of the car and night in the back.

If you don't select privacy glass, are the windows still tinted slightly? All of the demo cars I've seen without privacy glass as an option had fairly dark windows in my opinion.

Yes they are. I have a '63 plate Q3 and the privacy glass is as noticeable as my Focus was..

I know some people like it, but to me, especially if the car is a black 3-door, it makes the car look like a van. No quite so bad on a Sportback. When I drove a car with it at the weekend I found it made the view in the interior mirror look very dark. Daylight in the front of the car and night in the back.

Come on Dave. PG is really great when the sun is out and it's warm . It also looks great too IMHO ( especially with B&O and Sat Nav ;-).

Reactions: audiruss and NHN
I didn't selected it because mate of mine can make them dark too so I'm going to him en do it real dark, also at front to avoid the "van"-look and it's cheaper

I always have it done for various reasons, of course the UK sun is limited, but it all helps, plus privacy & security to a degree, however will be upgrading to security privacy films shortly.

My privacy glass is as dark as it was on my 8P S3.

I will be just getting my windows tinted once the car is in my hands I always have fronts and rears tinted, only been stopped and fined once in 13yrs

I'm wondering if it's just in my head (NHN will agree). I can't see the tints though in the dark. I didn't even notice in the light. Guess I'll check tomorrow. Car is filthy so that doesn't help as all of the windows look tinted by the dark.

Come on Dave. PG is really great when the sun is out and it's warm . It also looks great too IMHO ( especially with B&O and Sat Nav ;-).
I've never been in a situation where my air conditioning has not been able to keep my car to an acceptable temperature. If the law allowed it to be on all windows that would make a greater difference, but for obvious reasons it does not.

If you like it then have it. At least with Audi you have the option. If you buy a Golf GTD or GTi it comes as standard which would stop me buying either.

Actually saw one of these the other day in black with pg, coffin carrier! On lighter colours the contrast may be acceptable but on dark it looks jenk imo

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389374383081.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389374383081.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 277
I love Black A3 /S3 with PG... Larger cars less do. A7 BE is too black in Black & PG IMHO

Cheers all. Well, in the daylight, the tints are noticeable but are no where near as dark as my old 8P was... It was a black edition, so perhaps they were darker than normal anyway. Lol pics will follow at some point. It's having a luxury overnight stay at the spa (detailers) tonight haha

PG is a must for us - not only does it look good but it helps a little on long journeys with the dog in the boot. Yes the aircon can keep up but in summer direct sunlight beams into the car and is uncomfortable for her. And no, we don't leave her in a hot car etc.

Reactions: PilotAudi
I wouldn't dream of leaving mother-in-law in the boot! ;-)

Reactions: MA3RC