Privacy Glass vs Tinting - yes/no

Unfortunately the spec was locked for production and they wouldn't/wouldn't add it to the spec list...so this is my only option unless I replace the glass at a later date

Swainy it's about £120/140 for a rear factory window mate l had to replace one on my ford focus due to malicious damage, so l would think it would be about £750/800 for to buy all the 5 windows

Reactions: SW14NY'S
If given the option I would always have Privacy Glass fitted as standard from new.

However It has not been on several previous cars ( used buys) and I had tints added which were excellent.

With the tint film you get what you pay for and its down to the experience of the fitter. Most of the horror stories of peeling etc that you hear of are because of the use of really cheap inferior film.

The added benefit of a good film is you can actually choose how dark you want them. You do not need to go gangster black / limo black, in fact I have never gone that dark. On one car I actually had tints added to rear privacy glass as I felt that the original glass was still too "see through". A decent tint will also stop smashed glass entering the cabin as the glass stays stuck to the film.

The last couple of cars I have had with tints were excellent, showed zero signs of wear after 5+ years and was extremely pleased I had it done.

You pays for what you gets. A decent tint film fitted on an S3 ( rear sides and rear back glass on a sportback ) will set u back about £150 ish.

Would a really good specced car in excellent condition without privacy glass stop me buying a car... No way !!

If the film is good and the fitter knows what he is doing I doubt people would be able to tell the difference.

Choose how dark you want it and enjoy your car !!!

Jungle

Swainy it's about £120/140 for a rear factory window mate l had to replace one on my ford focus due to malicious damage, so l would think it would be about £750/800 for to buy all the 5 windows
I have been quoted £150 from the dealer to get the tints done for pickup day which I think I will go with....but I would definitely consider doing this if I'm not completely satisfied.

Reactions: Baldyone and Jassyo06
I have been quoted £150 from the dealer to get the tints done for pickup day which I think I will go with....but I would definitely consider doing this if I'm not completely satisfied.

Get it done, its a no brainer.

Any tints l have had done, the door cards have always been removed with these special little pen sized levers

Very few down here get privacy glass , most get tint but we are also legally allowed to tint all windows (except windscreen)

Good tint companies here do not remove door cards on VAG cars - they lift the top insert and tuck the tint down. Watched the guys do mine

Quality tint no longer fades, peels, goes purple

Also, no dust or bubbles in the cars I've had done

I did also have one car with privacy glass (already built) and the tinter matched the front and rears to match using different films - made the tint illegal - below the 35% limit we have here but never got questioned about it

Never got questioned about the 20% on my R either ....

My R and my S3 :)

c528efbc1e25e662804a406ce5732a6a.jpg

142ad7d5cacf5b2e64ea32e762b8883e.jpg

Reactions: Baldyone, Jassyo06 and SW14NY'S
The guy that fitted my tints offered a lifetime guarantee which gave me a lot of confidence in the product. He is only independent, but comes highly recommended and has fitted tints to a wide range of cars from a Fiesta to a Ferrari which proves that not everyone gets their spec right first time round.

One idea I had to get around my glare issue is just to replace the rear screen with Privacy glass and live with the tints on the sides as these don't effect my driving and I get no complaints from the kids in the back. This from the sounds of it would cost around £120/140 to do, but then that would create an unusual mix of glass on the car.

People have mentioned the line around the edge of the window where you can see the film, but I have to say aesthetically I am very happy with the overall look

The pictures make the tints seem darker, but I can confirm they are very similar strength to standard Privacy just more black than green.

View attachment 77132 View attachment 77133

Have you got any close up photos of the rear screen and the quarter Windows?

Where's the best place to get genuine Audi privacy glass from? Thinking of getting the tints done for pick up and then once I have all the replacement glass...get it fitted

Where's the best place to get genuine Audi privacy glass from? Thinking of getting the tints done for pick up and then once I have all the replacement glass...get it fitted
You may as well just stand outside your car and rip £10 notes up lol. Honestly, get the car, get the tints and it'll probably be the last you need to worry about it. They'll look fine

Reactions: Max-Robbo, SW14NY'S and WarwickL
You may as well just stand outside your car and rip £10 notes up lol. Honestly, get the car, get the tints and it'll probably be the last you need to worry about it. They'll look fine
You're probably be right btw....it's my OCD coming out in full effect and I haven't even got the ****** car yet

Reactions: Baldyone

Does anyone know where I can get prices for the privacy glass?...would my dealer be the best place?

Jassyo any ideas for around Scotland area?

I think I'll get the tints done for pickup day

...and then once I've sourced all the replacement glass I need, I'll get them swapped over

Soooo....I just managed to scoop nearly all the Privacy Glass I need for just £50....ya beauty!

Got one quote for a rear Privacy Screen supplied and fitted from 'Autoglass' for £420....is this reasonable? .... Going to speak to Audi and see if they can beat that quote or do a deal with the glass I'm replacing

3a68eca89563f3d1c344d7ccb9dd670e.jpg

Bargain! Now you just need someone to fit it

I 'should' be able to manage and fit these myself, but I will leave the rear one to the pro's.....lol.....I've not even picked up my S3 yet and I'm changing it

Reactions: azibux1
So....a wee update...
Got some prices to replace the glass and so far I'm getting prices of:

£420 to supply & fit the rear Privacy Screen.

£84 each to fit my supplied Quarter Windows

£90 each to fit my supplied Rear Door Privacy Windows

Total £788

If I fit the door ones myself then I can get it down to £598

www.supercarsofscotland.co.uk
Twitter: @supercarsofSCOT
Instagram: supercarsofscotland_uk

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
Hamilton Autotints in South Lanarkshire seem to be very good. Any dealings with them Jassy?

Reactions: SW14NY'S and Jassyo06
Given time window tint film will purple and discolour, not to mention it's nigh on impossible to completely install it bubble / dust free. You might get the odd spec of dust under the film. Privacy glass all the way

as you can imagine, window tinting is pretty much a requirement in our part of the world (Oz) and I have had window tinting on may last 6 cars and none have had issues with going purple, bubbles or dust. - it really is you get what you pay for. - plenty of 'home' jobs seen with tints gone purple - our summer sun sorts the good from the bad pretty quickly.

Reactions: WarwickL and pburv
as you can imagine, window tinting is pretty much a requirement in our part of the world (Oz) and I have had window tinting on may last 6 cars and none have had issues with going purple, bubbles or dust. - it really is you get what you pay for. - plenty of 'home' jobs seen with tints gone purple - our summer sun sorts the good from the bad pretty quickly.

Agree completely

Had no issues on the past cars we have owned

Last three were VAG cars, GTI, R and now S3. No bubbles, no purpling, no peeling and none of those cars required the door trims to be removed even though inexperienced tinters say you must on VAG cars.

Reactions: pburv
Will the privacy glass give you uv protection?
For me in OZ this is my priority.

Especially as the interior is all black. I'd hate to see parts get sun faded.

Had mine tinted to legal specs and I'm very happy. Another RS driver pushed the boundary and his are slightly darker. It looks awesome !

Reactions: WarwickL and pburv
Good to see you are going for some proper privacy glass, although I'm not sure i would ever pay the prices you've quoted for the changeover! This car is the first I've had with privacy glass, in the past I always had it in my head that I was better off saving the extra money for privacy glass to get them tinted professionally at half the price. Whilst tinting can be good, it is inferior, for example - privacy glass at the same shade of a tinted window lets in much more light at night time, I find that when looking through privacy glass at night it's much the same as looking through normal car windows, whereas looking through tints you struggle to see well particularly when reversing or looking in the rear view. You also get considerably more glare on tints - at anytime of day! Also, when looking at the car from the outside, the side windows look much the same but the rear quarter windows and the rear screen do not look half as good on tints, reason being is you get like a border around the window where the actual window has a border, and on the rear screen you get all the horizontal lines looking red and over emphasised - looks unsightly in comparison to privacy glass. Now I've had privacy glass I'll not ever substitute it for tints, although I am considering tinting my front side windows - just a little.

Good luck with the conversion mate.