Privacy Glass/tints or not???

Raul_Breganzo

Reaction score
Hi

I'm thinking of getting privacy glass in the back and rear windows of my 5 dr A3.
I only want it as I have an 8 month old baby and think it not only will provide some privacy/shade to her etc but it will also make the car look a bit better?
I like the look of the way some cars come standard from factory fit with tints (lets go off new A3s). What's the blackout ratio on those or does the buyer get a choice when ordering?

Note; I don't want to modify it so it looks like a boy racer car or anything. I'm too old for that! Lol Just want some simple changes which not only make the car look better but also adds value.
I pretty much like the way my Audi looks externally as standard.

P.S. The colours Sphere blue if that helps in factoring the tints???

Attachments

• IMG_8644.JPG
    IMG_8644.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 128
I would get them tinted without a doubt.
IMO it makes the car look better, offers added comfort to rear passengers who don't have sunshades available, and gives privacy.
Tinting offers a varied amount of darkness available or colours if you choose.

Hi

I'm thinking of getting privacy glass in the back and rear windows of my 5 dr A3.
I only want it as I have an 8 month old baby and think it not only will provide some privacy/shade to her etc but it will also make the car look a bit better?
I like the look of the way some cars come standard from factory fit with tints (lets go off new A3s). What's the blackout ratio on those or does the buyer get a choice when ordering?

Note; I don't want to modify it so it looks like a boy racer car or anything. I'm too old for that! Lol Just want some simple changes which not only make the car look better but also adds value.
I pretty much like the way my Audi looks externally as standard.

P.S. The colours Sphere blue if that helps in factoring the tints???
This is mines with the back half tinted sets it off just right
5f62e522adf742a8464313ef68fc38b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think I want something in this shade?

Attachments

• IMG_8647.JPG
    IMG_8647.JPG
    580.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_8648.PNG
    IMG_8648.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
Under British Law you can tint your back windows as dark as you want them to be but when it comes to the Passengers n Drivers front ones there has got to be a certain amount off light that has to get through ( off top off my head i think but dont quote me 78% light ) . I found out this by being stopped by traffic police and was lucky i never received 3 / 6 points plus £100 fine as car was bought from a reputable second hand dealer so be aware , and another thing to bare in mind if your cars front tints dont meet the required amount you are not insured check this with your insurance company , factory tint is within legal limits .:thumbs up:

Last edited:
Reactions: leonwilliams
Don't do your front window, or the front drivers/passenger - leave them standard.

The remainder (rear and side-rears), from memory - 20% tint is pretty close so what Audi would release from the factory.

Hi,

Had my windows tinted a few weeks ago, makes an amazing difference! I went for tints that let through 25% of light.

100% worth it without a doubt!

Attachments

• 56232A32-CAAD-4710-8A65-499C95E7E261.jpeg
    56232A32-CAAD-4710-8A65-499C95E7E261.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 87
Damn didn't notice how bad they looked. Pay good money get proper job done

Not much you can do about it, most cars have this finish if they aren't factory tinted.
You never noticed it until it was pointed out to you, so don't let it annoy you. If you look around you will see plenty more with the same.

I just removed my rear tints from the S3. The car had them on the front when I bought it and they were crazy. The mrs said she couldn't see me driving on the way home from buying it haha.

You can see how mad they were when I was removing them. The photo of the outside of the car is showing the factory S3 tints which are perfect imo.
I can also see what's behind me again since I took the tailgate tint off too.
IMG 0937
IMG 0938
IMG 0941
IMG 0939
IMG 0940

Mine is tinted, but the previous owner must have done a run to the skip with it and managed to scratch up some of the boot plastics and catch the tints in a couple of places. The tears are small, but I know they are there so I will be getting them redone in the future.
I can't imagine having a car without tints (rear only), the privacy is well worth it.

Reactions: leonwilliams
Not much you can do about it, most cars have this finish if they aren't factory tinted.
You never noticed it until it was pointed out to you, so don't let it annoy you. If you look around you will see plenty more with the same.
Think you got my car confused with other one mines the white car with perfect tints fitted

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
The tints will be fitted fine - but the silver line around the window is called the dot matrix effect. It’s where the little dots around the perimeter of the window get air caught between them when the tints are fitted. Easiest way to ID aftermarket tints. My previous A3 had it too.

6D573E43 54E9 4C3D B518 A510E88274F2

Ah I didn't know that mate. To be honest never noticed until you mentioned it.
The tints will be fitted fine - but the silver line around the window is called the dot matrix effect. It’s where the little dots around the perimeter of the window get air caught between them when the tints are fitted. Easiest way to ID aftermarket tints. My previous A3 had it too.

View attachment 156758

Real problem is you cant see F*^" all out the back when reversing at night. Not even the reversing lights will get over the std factory tint on the back of a Black edition.