Pressure washer or not?

Rjw76

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering what people’s thoughts are about using a pressure washer on the car - I’ve always worried that they might be too harsh against the paintwork/seals, and the few inevitable paint chips from motorway driving, etc. But I have nothing to actually base this on!

I’ve just been bought a Karcher K2 car kit pressure washer for a birthday present and I want to use it, and not seem ungrateful... but I also don’t want to risk causing damage to the paintwork!

Any thoughts??

Pressure washers are fine as long as you use the normal lance. Don’t use a dirt buster or similar that you’d use for driveways.

The k2 is basic and not the best but should be ok for cleaning the car, if a bit limited especially for snow foaming.

The main times where you can cause damage to paintwork is the contact wash and hand drying. I’ve moved to pure water rinse so I don’t need to dry the cars and it saves me about 2 to 3 hours for drying the 4 cars.

I’m sure the pressure washer impact on the paint and seals is no worse than driving in the rain at 70mph.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pressure washers are absolutely fine and have been, as stated above just don't use the dirt blaster Lance on the paint work.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

I used a K2 for a while. As long as you don't get too close it is no worse than using a hose.
I also found it was fine with Karchers own show foam attachment.

Awesome thanks... I’ve just bought the karcher foam attachment so will hopefully try that out tomorrow.

If you're wanting decent foam the Karcher snow Lance is rubbish. You'll need to spend the dosh on a decent one such as Autobrite or Autoglym (to name a couple)

If you're wanting decent foam the Karcher snow Lance is rubbish. You'll need to spend the dosh on a decent one such as Autobrite or Autoglym (to name a couple)

Works absolutely fine for me. I’ve used it for around 4 years and it has worked perfecly.
It is only foam so not exactly rocket science :D

I use Autoglym Polar blast diluted 10:1 ish and it is dense enough foam to dwell for 10 mins which is all it needs to do.

Last edited:
Pressure washers are a must!

I've got a Nilfisk and they do a lower pressure nozzle for cars, not that I've had a problem with the standard one, but it gives a bit of reassurance

Reactions: feva
Works absolutely fine for me. I’ve used it for around 4 years and it has worked perfecly.
It is only foam so not exactly rocket science :D

I use Autoglym Polar blast diluted 10:1 ish and it is dense enough foam to dwell for 10 mins which is all it needs to do.

A good foam lance will cover your car far more efficiently letting you use less product with denser foam coverage equaling better pre wash cleaning and l have owned the dreadful Karcher foam lance which is over priced or you got it with the Karcher pressure washer..bin and buy a proper lance only then you'll be able to see the difference

Reactions: SiPie and Adam14
A good foam lance will cover your car far more efficiently letting you use less product with denser foam coverage equaling better pre wash cleaning and l have owned the dreadful Karcher foam lance which is over priced or you got it with the Karcher pressure washer..bin and buy a proper lance only then you'll be able to see the difference

Sorry mate but you are kidding yourself. There are many much more experienced detailers than me that use a hand sprayer as it makes no difference. Arguably the best compound is Bilt Hamber and that works amazingly well with very little foam.
At the dilution rate I use, a Polar lasts me over a year so I’m not worried about the amount of product I’m using ;)
When it does give up the ghost I’ll probably buy another as I think they are good value and more importantly, zero maintenance.

I'd be intrigued to see the resulting foam from the Karcher Lance, as through experience and what I've seen online...not seen anyone been able to create any sort of resemblance of foam. It doesn't have a fine enough mesh to create any sort of decent foam.

Sorry mate but you are kidding yourself. There are many much more experienced detailers than me that use a hand sprayer as it makes no difference. Arguably the best compound is Bilt Hamber and that works amazingly well with very little foam.
At the dilution rate I use, a Polar lasts me over a year so I’m not worried about the amount of product I’m using ;)
When it does give up the ghost I’ll probably buy another as I think they are good value and more importantly, zero maintenance.
The amount of product that is used is irrelevant it's the coverage that can be accomplished by using a good snow foam lance,l could snow foam 3 cars all in one go using the lance l have just now from the same size bottle of mixed solution ...use the karcher lance or use a kids water pistol makes no odds to me.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

There is nothing more contentious than Snow Foam :smiley:
There was a thread on detailingWorld where some people swore by it and others said it is the emperors new clothes.
I think it needs some usage context so for me, my car is nearly 20 years old but the paint is in pretty good condition e.g clayed twice a year and machine polished. It is also hardly used so doesn't get that dirty and as such a quick foam and jetwash is likely all it needs as the paintwork still has good beading properties.
I'm happy with the foam density and it is often still in the gutter a good few hours after I have finished a wash.

I'll try and get some pics next time I use it.
Just to be clear, this is the Karcher attachment with the adjuster control not the one without ;)
10:1 dilution is also twice the recommended but I'm not that accurate when measuring it out so it could be anywhere between 10:1 and 5:1.

Hey guys, I've got a bit of spare time on my hands, now i'm not commuting, so am going to buy my first pressure washer.

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the Nilfisk E145?

Thanks in advance.

pretty sure that's what i've got, my original unit packed up after 8 months but amazon replaced it without question

I’ve had a Nilfisk for several years now & wouldn’t go back to Karcher as I found them unreliable.
When rinsing of the snow foam I keep the lance at an angle to the bodywork so to blast off & not into the paint work.

Thanks guys. Nilfisk ordered this morning, Now let's go shopping for some new detailing products...