Pressure washer frustrationo

Jon Roach

Reaction score
ok so I’m on my 2nd Karcher Pressure washer (K2) after the first one was replaced under warranty due to motor giving up. Now 6 months later my current one has started leaking from the bottom from inside.

After reading around, watching you tube etc. it appears they are made of chocolate and no wonder they don’t last, well at least the entry level ones.

Interested what makes/ models other folks use and any recommendations.

I only use mine for the usual weekly so so car wash with a patio clean once a year. Always stored inside and not exposed to frost surely it’s not too much to ask that it doesn’t self destruct every 6 months?

Cheers
Jon

Have had the k5 for a couple of years now and it's still going strong... Only use it to wash my car

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I’m on my third in maybe 10 years. Probably best to pay a bit more - my current one is a Karcher mid-range.

Cheers folks...... been looking at full Karcher range, maybe I need to be upgrading

I’ve got a K2 that developed a leak from the bottom, it was a small hole in the outlet elbow. I managed to replace the elbow, but karcher do 2 different elbows (one for the first gen and one for the later gen) the first gen are about £6 from whilst the later gen range in price from £17-£33. Mine was a later gen one but it was still cheaper than buying a replacement pressure washer, as it is not my main washer.

I’ve got a K2 that developed a leak from the bottom, it was a small hole in the outlet elbow. I managed to replace the elbow, but karcher do 2 different elbows (one for the first gen and one for the later gen) the first gen are about £6 from whilst the later gen range in price from £17-£33. Mine was a later gen one but it was still cheaper than buying a replacement pressure washer, as it is not my main washer.

Just real grates me replacing a small component that potentially could be up to a 3rd the price of complete new washer.

Just real grates me replacing a small component that potentially could be up to a 3rd the price of complete new washer.

I was the same, paid £35 for the K2 a few years ago from B&Q, but it was better for me to pay £17 for the elbow than replace the K2 as all I use it for is to clean the decking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Roach
Don't use a pressure washer on concrete paving slabs especially those that have a colour .

It wears off the top layer revealing the aggregate .

Having gone through a couple of Karchers I switrched to Nilfisk and have never looked back. Spent a few quid on an P150 about five years ago and the things been bulletproof. I use it for the cars, cleaning the driveway, decking etc. Never had any bother with it.

Reactions: Jon Roach and desertstorm
Karcher pressure washers essentially come in 3 different ranges. The K1 K2 machines are light duty and built to a price.
The K3 K4 machines are more heavy duty and liable to last a bit longer. K5 K6 are designed for commercial use.
I have a K3 machine I have had for around 5 years now and works well. Jobs like patio cleaning are jet wash killers as people don't read the instructions or ignore the advice about how long to use the machine before allowing it to cool. They don't have a very good duty cycle especially on cheaper machines.
The K3 I have has a water cooled motor which helps to keep things cooler especially in this summer heat we have ATM.
Nilfisk are a better machine than the Karcher but more expensive. If you can find one at the right price they are worth it.

Nilfisk - 'nuff said.

Having gone through a couple of Karchers I switrched to Nilfisk and have never looked back. Spent a few quid on an P150 about five years ago and the things been bulletproof. I use it for the cars, cleaning the driveway, decking etc. Never had any bother with it.

Just having a butchers on the P150...... looks a quality machine.

Just having a butchers on the P150...... looks a quality machine.

It's great. Bit pricey and it's heavy but you get what you pay for. I was originally going to pay someone similar money to clean my monoblock drive at the time and decided to buy a good jetwasher instead. I've moved house twice since then and have cleaned each drive a couple times. Turned out to be a great investment.

This is exactly what I bought and where from: http://www.cleanstore.co.uk/products/ProductNfb.asp?ID=5646 The patio cleaner head is great too.

If you're feeling flush, Kranzle. :)

These really are commercial machines and are designed to run 6-8 hours a day, everyday. A Karcher is designed to run 30 -50 hours at best. Too much money for most people to justify but they really are bulletproof and I got sick of the cheap crap. The only other one I looked at was a Nilfisk P150 and to be honest I would've kept the one I bought if it hadn't have been broken out of the box. That really did put the final nail in the coffin. :)