Status
Not open for further replies.

s3dave

TFSI Hybrid
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.stainless-engineering.co.uk
There has been a fair amount of talk recently over pressure drops on intercoolers....
So i thought i would test mine, so i plumbed it up like so....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Then put a straight piece of pipe to join my boost guage feed back together...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Set my liquid gauge to the boost screen, got a mate to watch the mechanical guage, and off we went....

Liquid guage reading 24.2 consistantly...mechaninical guage reading......24....Result..:)

So there is no pressure drop whatsoever so to say im suprised is an understatement...
This is great as the AITs are one of the lowest that ive seen on here, on boost...
I could do with a local volunteer who is on a standard setup to register their pressure drop or not, just for interest...
If anybody thinks i may be getting false readings or have plumbed it in wrong going by the pics let me know...There was no vaccum showing on the mech guage this is correct...right?

Discuss.......

Good result Dave.

But wouldnt it be more accurate to use the same test equipment?

For e.g. Pick a road and do two runs right after each other, one with your boost gauge cold side and one on the hot side as you did there. The temps/conditions should be nigh on identical with only the possible difference in pressure being the only variable. You could then repeat to get a better outcome from an experimental point of view.

Thats how id do it without access to a rolling road anyway.

As mush said it would be better doing 2 consecutive runs with you mech gauge plumbed to cold side ,then to hot side.
As i've got an in cabin boost gauge, it's readings are a bit potimistic compared to the map sensor.
And yes, on the hot side you won't see vacuum.

Fair one bud, just wanted to keep it accurate, but if youve done it, then that makes the results even better.

A big test will be when your all mapped up, as the higher pressure/increased flow might highlight a difference even better.

Discuss.......

lets start from there.

1st Liqui is map sensor, so max 2550mb... anything beyond this and guess what... you have no clue what its at

std single sidemount today on an LC lost 3.5psi on 185g/s airflow at peak 24psi boost (spike)
3 in a row...... no way on earth there is no pressure loss.

sorry dude. but your test method/equipment is in error I'm afraid

Last edited by a moderator:
lets start from there.

1st Liqui is map sensor, so max 2550mb... anything beyond this and guess what... you have no clue what its at

std single sidemount today on an LC lost 3.5psi on 185g/s airflow at peak 24psi boost (spike)
3 in a row...... no way on earth there is no pressure loss.

sorry dude. but your test method/equipment is in error I'm afraid
But the mechanical guage goes past 2550mb...correct? and was tested half an hour before on the same road.. same gear... same load

Its funny its in error when it says 24 why not 15 or 30? just happens to be the same... So why the B?
You tell me how i can do it more accurate and i will....
And stop been rude, im not rude to you....:think:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, I don't understand how your liquid is showing 24.2psi boost? Unless it's in AGU mode.

As said, the max the map sensor can read is 2550mb, minus atmospheric pressure of 1 bar (1000mb) is 1550. 1550mb x 14.7 = 22.785psi.

the liquid in theory CAN'T show more than 22.8psi in MAP mode.

If the liquid is run in AGU mode, than it makes it's estimate based on airflow, and RPM, so the estimate is a theoretical guess based on an ideal system with no pressure losses. implying 100% efficient, which no system is (or otherwise, it's basically guessing the pressure PRE ic)

In AGU mode, on a setup with a large pressure drop, i'd expect the liquid estimate to match the Pre IC figure not the post IC figure.

Does seem strange that you're getting 24psi both before AND after the IC's from your mech guage.

Hi Prawn it must be in Agu mode as i have had my boost up to 27 psi, it usually shows up in purple though doesnt it?
Why does it seem strange that they match....lol

the liquid is plumbed to the map sensor on the ic, so where did you plumb the mech gauge in to?

edit, that plumbing would make you take readings that are effectively about a foot apart on the same side of the ic yeah?

Why does it seem strange that they match....lol

It seems strange because it is a physical impossibility that air can leave the turbo at 70 degrees +, pass through 3 restrictive intercoolers, and exit the other side at 20 degrees C at exactly the same pressure..... it's just not possible :(

It seems strange because it is a physical impossibility that air can leave the turbo at 70 degrees +, pass through 3 restrictive intercoolers, and exit the other side at 20 degrees C at exactly the same pressure..... it's just not possible :(
Well how can i test it better?, wellys came out at a zero pressure drop IIRC too, so his is wrong too? thats what you are saying right? so its impossible to have a zero pressure drop.....

Well how can i test it better?, wellys came out at a zero pressure drop IIRC too, so his is wrong too? thats what you are saying right? so its impossible to have a zero pressure drop.....

wellys did not come out at zero pressure drop. retested this the other week on its larger turbo.

liqui cannot read more than its sensors.. and 2550mb is the max. just a tad over 22psi... so pointless trying to use liqui for anything which goes above this pressure.

test same gear, same road, on mech gauge.. then swap its connection to the other test point and retest.. Best you will be able to get with the equipment you have.

Zero loss is impossible..

I am not obliged to say anything or help anyone remember!

read my post Dave
Wellys has never had zero loss, so god knows where you read that/thought that!

and I will reiterate, zero loss is'nt possible.. so something of the test method is skewing the results.

end of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.