Pressed plates

SI-W85

Reaction score
Has anybody got any pics of there car with metal pressed plates on? Also did you stick them on or screw them? I don't mind sticking the front one on but would rather not stick the back one on I'm wondering wether or not to get a plate surround for the rear.

Got pics of them on my B7, stuck on every time

Reactions: V6 Quatt
They look good on your B7 but the boot lid where the plate goes is much bigger on the B8 and just wondering if it would look better with a surround on, what ya think?

I'm not a fan of the surrounds tbh, and the pressed plates are thinner

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the surrounds myself, but as you say they are thinner, they may look a bit odd on the B8 boot lid with them been so thin that's my worry as you can see around the whole plate as it's such a big flat area rather than the B7 where there is a indent for the plate, if you get what I mean lol

Remember one thing here, these pressed metal plates are normally used with these plastic surrounds, in fact, these Europlate plastic surrounds or mounting units are made for mounting these pressed metal plates in - trying to use genuine Europlate plastic surrounds or mounting units with UK plastic plates just does not work properly as the UK plastic plates are too big and too thick - I know this as I tried to use my NL VW dealer fitted mounting units for neatly fitting the UK plates to my wife's imported Polo - no good at all!

That's why I'm thinking about the surrounds even though I'm not a fan of them they do seat well in the surrounds rather than straight on to the body work. I will prob just buy both the plates and the surrounds and then just make up my mind lol

I have a set of pressed plates on my B8, didn't bother with the surrounds! I will get a snap and upload it tomorrow for you!

That be cool cheers, any chance you could get a couple of the back maybe close up side view of the plate and a straight on one? :)

Not a fan to be honest, they may look better on the car rather than the eBay picture, I also need to have some spacing adjustments on my private plate which I am in the process of swapping from another vehicle that's getting sold.

Pressed plate with surround on my avant:

I have the same setup on my b6 as ianv5, aluminium pressed plates with the surrounds.

I had to stick the front one on with contact adhesive as the sticky pads weren't strong enough and I did not use a surround.

It's worth remembering the legality of using these plates. I know of quite a few people that have been pulled over for using them! Even tho a lot of sellers advertise them as legal, they aren't!

It's worth remembering the legality of using these plates. I know of quite a few people that have been pulled over for using them! Even tho a lot of sellers advertise them as legal, they aren't!

I made sure these are legal, they are the correct font/size and British standard marked. Had a set on my previous golf gti for a couple of years no issues with MOT etc:icon_thumright:

Then again half of the plates you see on cars these days aren't legal! Incorrect spacing no BS mark etc etc!
I have Gel plates on mine and think they look great but then I would! :sly:

Reactions: CHEZ and DAYTONA 500
I made sure these are legal, they are the correct font/size and British standard marked. Had a set on my previous golf gti for a couple of years no issues with MOT etc:icon_thumright:

I think the issue comes with them not having a reflective backing and this is required by law I believe.
I really thought about getting them (love the look) but do need them 100% above board really

The set I have are fully legal, I needed my V5 in order to purchase them and they meet all the legal requirements. As the guys said above there are some which state they are legal but are not.

SI-W85 just pm'd you.

Got it thanks they look well I will be ordering some as soon as I get the docs back from DVLA.

Where you ordering from? Keen to get a set for both our cars

I friend of a friend gets them for us but in all honesty I'm not too keen on the lettering so will be looking elsewhere but as I need to have some slight alterations to the spacing it may need to be a non legal plate but that doesn't bother me as I have drove round with 2 cars with the spacing altered and never been bothered so may as we'll carry on lol

Drop Andrew at DTUK a PM as I am sure his detailing business does them ...

Had these on my B7 Avant a while now, stuck on with 3M double sided sticky pads without a problem ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393179370640220ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393179387407768

Drop Andrew at DTUK a PM as I am sure his detailing business does them ...

Unfortunately DTUK don't do plates anymore, Andrew recommended europl8s but they don't seem to be active anymore

I want 100% legal pressed plates abc not convince the eBay ones will be

I got my legal set of pressed plates from a business close to me, they are great and I have gotten a few sets from him! This is his poster regarding the pressed plates and the legal requirements! Second row first picture for the poster:
http://www.rockvalegraphics.co.uk/gallery.html

They do look good ones and cheap enough too, only problem is they will not adjust the lettering which is one thing I need :(

Ok my log book has come back with the new reg on so its time to get some plates does anybody know where I can get some pressed plates with spacing altered from online???

Finally got round to getting me some pressed plates.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 560
Reactions: SPARTAN91 and Liquidfusion-S3
And the rear

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,031
Reactions: RS5 JON and Liquidfusion-S3
I got a friend of mine to get me some I'm not sure exactly which company he got them from but said it was a ball ache due to most not wanting to do the spacing alterations but they look pretty good and came with sticky pads for £30 since had somebody else tell me they would have got me them for £20 lol but I'm happy so that's all that matters. :)

Looking really nice, I love pressed plates its the first modification I do!lol.. Good job! :)

Reactions: SI-W85
Yeah thanks all I'm chuffed with them they do look pretty good want sure if they would suit the B8 or not but I'm glad I have put them on. :)

Reactions: Point_Audi
Yeah thanks all I'm chuffed with them they do look pretty good want sure if they would suit the B8 or not but I'm glad I have put them on. :)

They defo look good mate, you must have gave the guy a back hander to get that spacing, lol.

They defo look good mate, you must have gave the guy a back hander to get that spacing, lol.

Haha I was struggling to get anybody to do it so I got a friend to sort it out for me not sure where he got them but just said he rang around and eventually somebody did it, happy days lol

Reactions: RS5 JON