Prepping bumper for respray

jeremygs

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2nd hand bumper for my S3, to replace the knackered on that's on the car at the moment. Problem is that it's silver and my car is Ming Blue. I'm going to get the bumper sprayed (obviously) but to save a little on the cost, I was planning on prepping and priming it myself. What do I need to do to prep the bumper before applying primer? What primer should I use, and where do I get it from?

You will need to rub down the bumper to provide a good key for the primer to stick to. This just takes time and effort with some wet and dry. Use longer strokes and dont concetrate on a small area or you could end up with flat spots. Dont use a machine sander or anything to quicken the process, because you cant control how much you take off.

Once this is done clean the whole bumper using thinners or similar. Onnce totally dry and clean apply a primer which allows for some flex in the plastic, you can get them especially for plastic bumpers. You can get them from most decent car parts shops. An aerosol is fine for primer.

Then I'd repeat this process at least one more time maybe 2. After the final coat of primer rub it down again with some more wet and dry and all should be ready for paint.

No matter how good the painter is applying the paint, if the preparation is not great the paint wont last.

But I'd also have a word with whoever is painting it, show them the bumper and ask what he would do with it to prep it.

friend of mine is a painter, and he wouldnt accept a prep'd bumper from anyone, reason being if he just paints it and the prep was not up to scratch the imperfections will show through into the paint.

before you go to the hassle of preping thebumper yourself, speak with the painter before hand :)

Fair enough. Sounds like the best thing to do is to let the painter do the prep too. I'd rather pay a bit extra and get it finished right the first time.

It may be for the best but its a simple enough job. I can understand painters not wanting the prep done by someone else though.

I know a painter in the past who let my mate do the sanding though between him shooting the primer and then the top coats. Meant the painter saw things as it went. In all honesty though it didn't save my mate much money.