Prep for stage 3

Ds32

Reaction score
Hello all, pleasure to be here have soaked up a lot of knowledge just searching threads.

I’m getting parts together to take my PFL S3 8V stage 2 to stage 3.
I’ve read through @rs3reilly ‘s posts extensively as he went into great detail of his incredible build.
But I’m unsure if members who went stage 3 had problems that I should be aware of?

I will be using a Venom 550 turbo
Auto tech hpfp’s
Venom muffler delete.
Currently have on my setup -
Ram air intake and elbow
Miltek downpipe and non res exhaust
Aftermarket IC/boost pipes
Stage 2 map @400bhp

I plan to have the torque capped at 675nm at most and hoping for a smooth 520bhp with no crazy torque spikes.
Any input and advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Also consider racing plugs, perhaps uprated coil packs (RS3 ones?), wider range MAP sensor. Sports cat also to aid flow? Although I'm sure your tuner will be able to advise.

Are you not concerned that your choice of turbo might be quite laggy? It might be better to go for a smaller hybrid that spools quicker and makes the car better to drive, at the expense of a few horses. I'd research this a bit more first if I were you. But if you are set on that turbo then fair enough and I hope all goes well :)

Reactions: Ds32
My experience having been Stage 3 since October 2018 with Revo

Amazing :laughing:

Tbh I haven't had any issues with my car due to it being stage 3 but I have had some breakdowns:
  • Both upgraded fuel pumps replaced - due to dirty fuel and sediment in my tank
  • Alternator pulley failure
  • Rear NS calliper siezed (2 weeks ago)
  • EPC faults relating to turbo actuator - which is still an issue but only in a certain way the car is switched on, an odd one
  • Stop/start issues - initially due to battery/coding but I have removed this function now from the car
  • Misfires - replaced my coilpacks to B9 S4 coils at 70k miles (first time replacing them)
I drive mine daily, 50 mile commute between motorway, town and B roads - I absolutely love it and there isn't much that will sit with it

Launched it 100+ times at 8 or more drag day events, serviced very regularly

0-60 in 3.1s, quarter mile in 11.1s at 127mph, half mile is 17.7s at 155mph

Taken to the shops, pick up my kids from grandparents, trips out, etc.... hard car to beat!

74k miles on the car now, owned since 12k 5.5 years ago

Reactions: Ds32
Also consider racing plugs, perhaps uprated coil packs (RS3 ones?), wider range MAP sensor. Sports cat also to aid flow? Although I'm sure your tuner will be able to advise.

Are you not concerned that your choice of turbo might be quite laggy? It might be better to go for a smaller hybrid that spools quicker and makes the car better to drive, at the expense of a few horses. I'd research this a bit more first if I were you. But if you are set on that turbo then fair enough and I hope all goes well :)
Thanks Damo I appreciate the reply. Yes I was thinking to go smaller Turbo to begin with but opted for the 550 as it’s been used a lot across the EA888 platform and in case I decide to map in more power it will be capable.

Was thinking OEM spark plugs should handle the power but I have been looking at Denso iridium plugs as well. It will be done by Wrench Studios I’ll ask what they recommend.

Tbh I haven't had any issues with my car due to it being stage 3 but I have had some breakdowns:
  • Both upgraded fuel pumps replaced - due to dirty fuel and sediment in my tank
  • Alternator pulley failure
  • Rear NS calliper siezed (2 weeks ago)
  • EPC faults relating to turbo actuator - which is still an issue but only in a certain way the car is switched on, an odd one
  • Stop/start issues - initially due to battery/coding but I have removed this function now from the car
  • Misfires - replaced my coilpacks to B9 S4 coils at 70k miles (first time replacing them)
I drive mine daily, 50 mile commute between motorway, town and B roads - I absolutely love it and there isn't much that will sit with it

Launched it 100+ times at 8 or more drag day events, serviced very regularly

Taken to the shops, pick up my kids from grandparents, trips out, etc.... hard car to beat!

74k miles on the car now, owned since 12k 5.5 years ago
Thanks for the info Boydie.
That was a concern of mine, potential misfires! Were you on OEM coilpacks?

Glad to hear the positives! Some very impressive figures there, and the perfect daily. Not many better bang for buck out there imo

Thanks for the info Boydie.
That was a concern of mine, potential misfires! Were you on OEM coilpacks?

Glad to hear the positives! Some very impressive figures there, and the perfect daily. Not many better bang for buck out there imo

Yeah OEM original coilpacks from 0 miles to 70k with majority of those miles on Stage 3 but I am on NGK R9***** spark plugs which I change every year

Only upgraded to B9 S4 coilpacks in June 2022

Also, I have raced supposed 500bhp+ Golf R's with Venom turbo's and my Revo IS38ETR V1 turbo either beats them or marginally loses (in drag race events)

My thread

That is properly ballistic ... stop it. You are giving me bad thoughts! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Boydie