Premium Diesel vs Regular Diesel

jminns

Reaction score
Website
www.jminnsdesign.co.uk
Hi,
After owning a diesel Avant for around 2 months... I was just wondering who uses premium grade diesel in their B8s. Was speaking to a guy with a A5 the other day who swears by the stuff.

Having come from a run of petrol cars and using supermarket fuel all the time in these... Is premium diesel all it cracks up to be?

Hi,
After owning a diesel Avant for around 2 months... I was just wondering who uses premium grade diesel in their B8s. Was speaking to a guy with a A5 the other day who swears by the stuff.

Having come from a run of petrol cars and using supermarket fuel all the time in these... Is premium diesel all it cracks up to be?

Hi mate,

Welcome to the forum, we use premium diesel in our car but in a ratio of 3 regular tanks: 1 premium tank. My mate has got his own garage and recommended doing it that way, works for us. Also never buy from supermarket forecourts!!

Thanks

Chris

A quarter of a Century of buying Supermarket fuels and no problemo .

Just add JASO FB spec 2 Stroke to normal diesel .

A quarter of a Century of buying Supermarket fuels and no problemo .

Just add JASO FB spec 2 Stroke to normal diesel .
Same here always bought from supermarkets but supermarkets by their fuel in bulk which has sat in silos at the refinery for months on end compared to shell, esso, BP, texaco etc which goes straight to the pumps after refining. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with supermarket fuel but I was told about this from someone who works at a refinery. Just my opinion.:)

I only use Shell V-power if I am going to Santa Pod or similar, Normally use Shell regular. As above I mix in 0.5% 2 stroke oil when I fill up.
Not something I would recommend if you have a DPF.
I sometimes fill up with Tesco diesel if there is 10p a litre off or similar, TBH don't really notice the difference compared to normal Shell diesel.

Karl.

Effects of 2t oil added to diesel cars.

Due to the pollution control measures of the EC diesel-oil is nearly sulphur free and contains up to 5% of bio-diesel. Sulphur has the property to grease the high pressure injection pump and the injectors. Without sulphur, the reduced greasing property of the new diesel has already shown negative impacts on the long-term stability of the injectors and the high pressure pump. The pump manufacturers have tried to react by lining the moving parts of the pumps with Teflon or other suitable material. However, the long term stability is still not achieved as with the old (sulphur contained) diesel.
The engine-research centre of a well-known German car manufacturer has conducted some long term tests of diesel additives to find out whether any one of them will have an impact on the long term reliability of the diesel engine components. This introduction to explain were my information comes from.
The results of this research: any diesel additive of any manufacturer presently on the market is not worth the money!
BUT: 2-stroke oil, which we use in our motor saws, lawn mower or in 2-stroke motor engines has shown to have an extreme positive impact on diesel engines, if such 2-stroke oil is added to the diesel in a homeopathic doses of 1:200. In practical terms: 0,300 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank. The 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel (emulsion) and grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors.
Besides this, the 2-stroke oil will keep the diesel engine clean, as it burns cleaner as the diesel itself.
In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clog, and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.
More information: in Germany we have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongst others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.
The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95.
The same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles.
Besides this, the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the mileage by 3-5%.

It also increases the Cetane number.

Why not DPF ?

It doesn't seem right that the 2 stroke produces less ash than diesel, but if does then thats fine, I can't see how running 2 stroke oil will make a lot of difference to the amount of soot in the DPF given that the oil only makes up 0.5% of the fuel.
I never used it in my car whilst I had the DPF in.
Karl.

Remember the reports on UKP of less smoke on the mot opacity test ?

I was on UKP and never seen this, my B6 passat used to smoke like a chimney, had to run a cleaner before every MOT!!!

I have started using Shell Nitro+ and noticed a huge difference in throttle/engine pick-up straight away! I used to only ever use regular diesel (never supermarket) but decided to start using Nitro+ as heard good things about it. I have used BP Ultimate in the past but didn't really notice any difference, so never really used them again.

I have since brought the new DTUK Tuning box for my car and with Nitro+ the car feels great, smooth, much much more responsive and on average, 4-5 extra MPG. Most of this will be the result of the Tunning Box but having used Nitro+ without the box, it definitely has it's advantages over regular diesel. I would imagine it would have a better affect on higher performance cars.

I've tried a few different diesel fuels, Shell Nitro+, BP Ultimate, Esso Supreme. For me there doesn't see to be any performance difference but the engine seems to run quieter and smoother on the premium fuel especially straight after a cold start. Going back to standard fuel takes a tank or two for an increase in noise so maybe the ECU adjusts to this.

My main reason for the use of premium fuels is to try and give additional protection to the injectors and fuel pump as the repair costs for faults with any of these parts seems to be ££££££££££££.

I always use vpower nitro. Mainly because of the double/triple points at shell.
I haven't really noticed any performance improvement but the dis shows a light improvement of average fuel consumption.
I read somewhere that the vpower nitro produces less soot hence its better for the egr and DPF.

My car is a 2009 3.0 tdi

Reactions: scotty76
I have run high performance diesel's and petrol vehicles for a long time now and been an engineer in the automotive industry for longer, I run only the premium versions of Shell fuel and never, ever touch supermarket fuels, they are not of a consistnat grade.

Why would you even think of doing this? No engine manufacturer would recomend this, i just text my friend who is a senior engineer for a significant engine manfactuer and he just texted me back initially with "idiots", thats exactly how he responded.

I asked him if he'd heard about putting 2 stroke oil into diesel for diesel engines and you see the response, he has just added that he has heard of the myth but its pointless and he wouldn't stray from manufacturers recomendations, which I have to say is exactly what I would have recomended but he's the absolute expert.

Even Opie oils would agree for upper cylinder lubrication.

Ask them .

Lots of positive feedback that's been about for years .

In Sweden they have been doing it for 30 years.

10 Litre Diesel ---> 50 Ml.
20 Litre Diesel ---> 100 Ml
30 Litre Diesel ---> 150 Ml.
40 Litre Diesel ---> 200 Ml.
50 Litre Diesel ---> 250 Ml.
60 Litre Diesel ---> 300 Ml.
70 Litre Diesel ---> 350 Ml.
80 Litre Diesel ---> 400 Ml.
90 Litre Diesel ---> 450 Ml.
100 Litre Diesel ---> 500 Ml.

Even Opie oils would agree for upper cylinder lubrication.

Ask them .

Lots of positive feedback that's been about for years .

In Sweden they have been doing it for 30 years.

10 Litre Diesel ---> 50 Ml.
20 Litre Diesel ---> 100 Ml
30 Litre Diesel ---> 150 Ml.
40 Litre Diesel ---> 200 Ml.
50 Litre Diesel ---> 250 Ml.
60 Litre Diesel ---> 300 Ml.
70 Litre Diesel ---> 350 Ml.
80 Litre Diesel ---> 400 Ml.
90 Litre Diesel ---> 450 Ml.
100 Litre Diesel ---> 500 Ml.

Do you have a specific link, we'll take a look?

Have him take a look at this .

Effects of 2t oil added to diesel cars.

Due to the pollution control measures of the EC diesel-oil is nearly sulphur free and contains up to 5% of bio-diesel. Sulphur has the property to grease the high pressure injection pump and the injectors. Without sulphur, the reduced greasing property of the new diesel has already shown negative impacts on the long-term stability of the injectors and the high pressure pump. The pump manufacturers have tried to react by lining the moving parts of the pumps with Teflon or other suitable material. However, the long term stability is still not achieved as with the old (sulphur contained) diesel.
The engine-research centre of a well-known German car manufacturer has conducted some long term tests of diesel additives to find out whether any one of them will have an impact on the long term reliability of thediesel engine components. This introduction to explain were my information comes from.
The results of this research: any diesel additive of any manufacturer presently on the market is not worth the money!
BUT: 2-stroke oil, which we use in our motor saws, lawn mower or in 2-stroke motor engines has shown to have an extreme positive impact on diesel engines, if such 2-stroke oil is added to the diesel in a homeopathic doses of 1:200. In practical terms: 0,300 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank. The 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel (emulsion) and grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors.
Besides this, the 2-stroke oil will keep thediesel engine clean, as it burns cleaner as the diesel itself.
In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clog, and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.
More information: in Germany we have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongst others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.
The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95.
The same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles.
Besides this, the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the mileage by 3-5%.

It also increases the Cetane number.

Am i missing the point, a bit confussed tho. So it's a good idea to add 2 stoke oil to already added performane diesel which is already designed to clean and lubricate your engine. :dejection:

Would be a good idea for a new engine?

Last edited:
Gaz, do you have a link to the source material, I am not going to send him anyhting unless he can research deep enough and have some form of reference, happy to be proven wrong but need the full picture?

Wouldn't hurt there is a test somewhere that showed it increased the Cetane number .

It's more econominal sense to use it with standard diesel.

Typical benefits are a quieter engine , quite noticible at idle , some have noticed better performance and a few more mpg.

Less smoke out the back on a non dpf .

I wouldn't do this based on "I copied and pasted it from somewhere", sorry.

My mate is looking into this and has probably worked for the "well-known German car manufacturer" on thier famous deisel projects which ran in France over the years. We have both worked for all three at some stage, 2 for him and 2 for but sadly I wasn't an engine designer, he's the expert so will have to get back to you on this one.

It appears to be widely quoted as to its original source ??

I don't use oem gearbox oil just because VAG experts recommend it .

It's not a new concept , for some it is a new discovery and sounds a bit Voodoo Snake oil . It's not going to stop or go away , 30 years in Sweden.

There is no need to use OEM oils as long as you use OEM specification numbers although thats no garuntee of good quality. Oils are sent to OEM's to confirm specification but there isn't a quality test, just a specification test (i.e. MB229.3, VW503.00, BMW LL01 etc).

There is a set of recomended oil manufactures that VAG will recomend, stay with this and make sure you stick to the spec numbers, deviate from this at you own risk.

Oil engineering is a very details and highly cpmplicated science, millions of pounds go in to it along with a huge amount of man hours. Not all 10w40 is the same lol.

For example,I changed my oil in my B6 S4, I went from 5w30 to 5w40 becasue of the 100K+ millage and the leaking rear crank seal, oil leak slower and rattle was reduced on the cam chain tensioner. The oil I sued was a recomended manufacturer and was to VAG's spec. I also checked it with engineers from the 4.2 V8 40v BBK engine project which helps.

The same goes for gearbox, diff and PAS oil.

I run a garage space heater on a mixture of petrol, used engine oil and diesel, i can assure it runs better and hotter than on clean diesel ! The oil is free and every so often i get a 20L can of red diesel to mix it/dilute the "brew" ! I also ran one of my old allroad for years on a similar mixture till the injector pump advance solenoid packed up after running tuned for over 2 years ! Every oil works in conjunction with diesel, it's just that the 2T oil is specially designed to mix with petroleum fuel but not dissolve completely !

Just joined the forum, but I've had my B8.5 Black Edition Quattro 177 for a few months now.

I must admit I'm disappointed with the fuel return I get from my car. On my 12 mile commute to work I get 39-40 MPG, on a run I've seen 47MPG (driving like a granny).

I've started to use Diesel Rhino again; an additive that I used all the time on my VW T4.

It has improved my MPG by 4-5 MPG over what I was getting previously.