Pre wash help!

Richard Appleyard

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm new to the car detailing world and need a little help. I'm reading into snow foams and there often referred to as a pre wash? Does this mean you apply it, rinse it off then use another product to actually wash your car or do you spray it on then use sponge/mitt to wash the car.

Thanks. Rich.

Yea spray it on, leave it to dwell, then rinse it off. Then wash by hand. I usually foam it up again (typically to use up any remaining foam in the lance) before I hand wash it to get extra suds.

Having said all that, I think there is more evidence to suggest a citrus pre-wash is more effective than snow foam....I'm still on the fence about whether either is particularly effective on light/moderate dirty cars with good protection on to justify the time and money tbh....!

Oh and never a sponge. A good microfibre mitt or wool mitt. 2 buckets are often quoted as the safest method, but as long as you rinse the mitt after you make a few passes on the car, whether its running water from the tap/hose or from fresh water in a bucket, before you put it back in your shampoo bucket and onto the car is essential. Stops your mitt and shampoo bucket getting overly dirty.

Hope that helps :)

That's great information. Thank you.

Who are a decent brand to buy for both pre wash and wash?

Ah lots and lots to go with. I have used a few from Chemical Guys and liked them, but would recommend anything from ValetPro, KKD, Bilt Hamper, Meguairs...list goes on really!

I would probably now just find the cheapest 5lt from those brands and one that had a 'flavour' I enjoy!

Can anyone supply an Amazon link for a decent mitt? Interested in this ready for my new car. Thanks

Everyone thanks for your help. A lot of information. Ta. Rich.

Reactions: DrEskimo
Well I eat my words...looks like a prewash is effective

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=370742

Might look into getting ValetPro Citrus wash with a pump sprayer given the ease of use and general consensus that it is more effective (although that link would suggest a foam and pre wash perform just the same).

Reactions: Richard Appleyard
Reactions: scotty76
Today is going to be a busy day. I've decided I'm getting the citrus pre wash. Then I'm going to read the shampoo thread and then I'm going to order a mitt. Can't wait for it all to arrive!!!

Reactions: scotty76
BH, it's a good job you don't change for your info. I'd be skint!!! I be ordering that today too. Busy cleaning times next week!!! Thanks again.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I put on citrus pre wash and let it dwell while I get my snow foam ready then let the snow foam pull the dirt off once lifted by the pre wash

The Dooka wash pads are one of the best out there

You will not be disappointed with is

I put on citrus pre wash and let it dwell while I get my snow foam ready then let the snow foam pull the dirt off once lifted by the pre wash
So you put the snow foam over the pre wash? I always blast the pre wash off after about 5-10 mins, then put the snow foam on and leave that for a further 5-10 mins before blasting off.

Ordered all my products today. I've ordered the citrus pre wash by valet pro, Taylored shampoo and a mitt from microfiber. Them dooka pads looks really good but I'm pushing my limit already with my spending this month. Bank manager (wife) will do her nut!

Ordered all my products today. I've ordered the citrus pre wash by valet pro, Taylored shampoo and a mitt from microfiber. Them dooka pads looks really good but I'm pushing my limit already with my spending this month. Bank manager (wife) will do her nut!

Don't mate , my wife is doing her nut already with me!! Well worth it though :)

The way I look at it is they are both a pretty wash citrus lifts it and snow foams draft it off but each to there own

Evening all!!!

So my pre wash, shampoo and mitt have landed. Perfect time for the weekend and it's supposed to be sunny in Sheffield too!!!

Anyway, I just want to run through the procedure of washing the car. In my mind I have

1, Apply the pre wash and leave to dwell for approx 10 mins.

2, Rinse off.

3, mix the shampoo into Luke warm water and clean using the mitt.

4,Rinse and leather dry and admire my handwork.

Is this the best way to get best results?

Cheers peeps!!

When you wipe a panel, rinse the mitt in another bucket of clean water before putting it back in the shampoo bucket and then wiping another panel.

Use a fluffy MF towel rather than a leather!! Can get cheap ones from a supermarket that will do a decent job....well...better than a leather anyway :p

Otherwise you're all good :)

Depending on how much time you want spend on cleaning your car, you would need to get some tar remover and some fallout remover too and use this after the pre wash stage.

By using a clay mitt or bar to remove all the contaminates from your car is a very good stage to add into the decontamination process. This will make your paintwork feel like glass.
Then use a paint cleanser followed by the LSP of your choice (Dodo Juice Lime Prime is awesome). Then wax or sealer or even both. Remember always sealer first then wax.

If you don't have time for any of the above then get yourself a drying towel rather than using a leather as using this may inflict marring

Evening all!!!

So my pre wash, shampoo and mitt have landed. Perfect time for the weekend and it's supposed to be sunny in Sheffield too!!!

Anyway, I just want to run through the procedure of washing the car. In my mind I have

1, Apply the pre wash and leave to dwell for approx 10 mins.

2, Rinse off.

3, mix the shampoo into Luke warm water and clean using the mitt.

4,Rinse and leather dry and admire my handwork.

Is this the best way to get best results?

Cheers peeps!!
@Richard Appleyard - Mix the pre-wash with very warm but not hot water for best results
When you wipe a panel, rinse the mitt in another bucket of clean water before putting it back in the shampoo bucket and then wiping another panel.

Use a fluffy MF towel rather than a leather!! Can get cheap ones from a supermarket that will do a decent job....well...better than a leather anyway :p

Otherwise you're all good :)
As the Doc says. Wash using the 2 bucket method
More info on it here -
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4637

Don't use a leather to dry your car my friend
A large fluffy micro fiber towel will do a better job. Always wash it after every use in a non bio wash with NO fabric conditioner

Reactions: DrEskimo
I got a microfiber drying towel from ASDA years ago. The quality is the same as the budget options from the online detailing shops. I know as I have those too. :) As @DrEskimo says it's a better option than a leather.

Detailing doesn't have to be expensive. Start with a little. Try things. Find what you like and what works for you. Read a bit. Ask us questions, we don't bite. Admire the shine.

Cheers for your help guys. Good information! I'm hoping to do the car Saturday afternoon so I'll post some before and after photos.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and scotty76