Pre/post facelift mirror query???

Oranoco

Reaction score
Website
www.passionford.com
Anybody know if the guts of the mirrors are the same. I was told that they were the same and it was just the cap and glass that differed.

My existing mirrors aren't for coming apart and I've broken the glass mounting attempting to dismantle one already. Thinking the best bet is a pair of new mirrors to strip and swap the caps on. Audi dealer was less than helpful when I asked them the question, in fact the chap was adamant that it was not possible to put the facelifted mirrors onto my earlier car.

GSF do pattern mirrors for £40 a side.

Unless anybody has a pair of bare mirrors for sale?

CheeRS all

I've really no idea what your trying to do?

Standard facelift mirrors are surely ten a penny on ebay?

I've no idea if the base part is the same, never looked at them in that detail.

I've got some matt alu mirror caps and new mirror glass. One of the existing mirrors fell apart when removing the glass and neither mirrors underside screws are for shifting. To be fair they probably haven't been touched for 18 years lol. Rather than fighting trying to separate old mirrors I was just going to get a new set

gotcha

I would stick to the facelift type, they might be compatible with the earlier ones but i wouldnt take the chance when the facelift ones are cheap enough.

Problem there is nobody lists the facelift mirrors, it's a blanket mirror from 95 through to 01 and is the shape of the prefacelift. Nobody even seems aware they are visually different. Audi are no longer able to provide the part or even willing to offer advice (which is a first as they are generally very helpful). Which puts me back at second hand units which are a sod to get apart and why I'm here in the first place asking these questions :(

I have a s4 nogaro mirror. I think passenger side.

There are two different types.
I bought one that said 95-01 a couple of years back and when it arrived it was different to my one
The car was facelift (99 MY, 'W' plate Avant in my sig) and the shape of the mirror was close but not the same.

I remember the bloke I bought it from (e-by/internet somewhere after google search)was very helpful - if ultimately no use but I ended up getting another that was correct.
I'll post back if I can recall where from - it took a few attempts IIRC but was 'do-able'
Look up the part number from the link in Sandra's sticky and do a search.
( I am assuming you are talking about the glass, not the entire assy)