PRE-FL Saloon fitted with dynamic lights issue

Yusuf Ali

Reaction score
So I have been having an issue where I have used plug and play adapters to fit facelift rear lights and when I have done so the sweeping effect of the light does not work, they work as the old ones used to. Any idea what could have went wrong, whether it would be a coding or hardware issue?

E76AC149 D919 4D41 B50B 2E585688BF54

So every other function works as tested but the dynamic function of sweeping signals doesn’t not

this is a video with pace indicators running on these lights, I’ve tried without but again no dynamic functionality is working on any of these settings.

Last edited:
For fully dynamic you need a 12v power to the dynamic indicator modules on each light. Is it possible you have not connected that or the harness has not accounted for that pin? (It’s pin 5 for the outers and pin 6 for the inners. Once powered they will do the sweep. ;)

Last edited:
What adaptors have you used for the FL lights?

I'm sure I've seen that there is an adaptor to make PFL rear lights "semi dynamic" like yours, but its a different adaptor to make FL units "fully dynamic" in a PFL car....

There is more information here, including links to correct wiring - https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/pfl-to-fl-dynamic-taillights-conversion-guide.331293/
The adapters I’ve bought have no need to modify from what I know if you look at my response above this one I sent a link to the ones I bought

Is that the actual price you paid for these? Damn! I perform an OEM installation for way way less.
Bare in mind the rear lights I got for much cheaper than full price so when I sell my old led lights I’ll make partially that back

Is that the actual price you paid for these? Damn! I perform an OEM installation for way way less.
And most people doing these retrofit installations are down south so that’s hassle for me too, where are you based?

North London, but £300+ for modules!
I know it’s a ridiculous price but I have no clue for wiring and I’d more than likely do something wrong, do you have any idea why my lights don’t work with the dynamic function? Everything else works fine but they just refuse to sweep. I’ve been told to take the battery out for a bit and let it reset but would that even make a difference

I know it’s a ridiculous price but I have no clue for wiring and I’d more than likely do something wrong, do you have any idea why my lights don’t work with the dynamic function? Everything else works fine but they just refuse to sweep. I’ve been told to take the battery out for a bit and let it reset but would that even make a difference
My guess would be because they are crappy modules lol

Nothing to loose by removing the battery but I would be surprised if that resolves your issue. Most likely you have been supplied incorrect (for a 3dr car) or faulty modules.

My guess would be because they are crappy modules lol

Nothing to loose by removing the battery but I would be surprised if that resolves your issue. Most likely you have been supplied incorrect (for a 3dr car) or faulty modules.

But would the 3 door modules still work with all other functions such as reverse light, brakes etc. from what I know they’ve sent me the correct ones but I’ll keep this thread updated on how it goes regardless, hopefully resolved within 24 hours

But would the 3 door modules still work with all other functions such as reverse light, brakes etc. from what I know they’ve sent me the correct ones but I’ll keep this thread updated on how it goes regardless, hopefully resolved within 24 hours
To be honest I have no idea as I have never used any modules for this retrofit. They are expensive and add a potential point of failure to the vehicles electrics. I know there are differences between the body shapes wiring wise but god knows what’s going on inside these modules in order to “fudge” the extra needed connections. Only three possible issues:

1) incorrect modules
2) fault modules
3) faulty lights

Doubt it’s number 3 as all four would need to be faulty and that would be very strange, actually unless you have purchased non-dynamic clusters.

To be honest I have no idea as I have never used any modules for this retrofit. They are expensive and add a potential point of failure to the vehicles electrics. I know there are differences between the body shapes wiring wise but god knows what’s going on inside these modules in order to “fudge” the extra needed connections. Only three possible issues:

1) incorrect modules
2) fault modules
3) faulty lights

Doubt it’s number 3 as all four would need to be faulty and that would be very strange, actually unless you have purchased non-dynamic clusters.

That’s my final question, do these lights exist with non dynamic clusters on LED Rears facelift. As I’ve never seen a facelift a3-rs3 without dynamic lights unless they had the halogen ones.

That’s my final question, do these lights exist with non dynamic clusters on LED Rears facelift. As I’ve never seen a facelift a3-rs3 without dynamic lights unless they had the halogen ones.
Different lights also exist for different markets, example in the USA the turning signals are also hard wired to the brake lights so they function as additional turn signals.

You said you soured then cheap, where did you get your lights from?

Different lights also exist for different markets, example in the USA the turning signals are also hard wired to the brake lights so they function as additional turn signals.

You said you soured then cheap, where did you get your lights from?
A breaker in Birmingham sold me them but he did add that the car they were off was an a3 saloon which did sweep when it was on the car

A breaker in Birmingham sold me them but he did add that the car they were off was an a3 saloon which did sweep when it was on the car
If it was a uk breaker and the vehicle was uk, which it should be, then am betting the lights are correct. You have crappy modules. Suggest you contact the supplier.

If it was a uk breaker and the vehicle was uk, which it should be, then am betting the lights are correct. You have crappy modules. Suggest you contact the supplier.
I will do Thanks for the help anyway

Reactions: DJAlix
I can now confirm taking the battery out for an hour did nothing also, gonna contact the supplier maybe it is faulty modules

Looks like the wrong adapter. As someone has already stated, the way your lights are behaving it looks like you’ve been given the Adapter that gives the PFL the dynamic effect.

Na the video is pace indicators I’ve turned that off they just flash normal like pre fl
Looks like the wrong adapter. As someone has already stated, the way your lights are behaving it looks like you’ve been given the Adapter that gives the PFL the dynamic effect.

The modules had a tiny screw inside that I needed to turn slightly till the dynamic function worked ( what that did I have no clue ) but yeah it was behind a sticker on the module

Reactions: dannyboy1985
The modules had a tiny screw inside that I needed to turn slightly till the dynamic function worked ( what that did I have no clue ) but yeah it was behind a sticker on the module
Voltage adjuster. Glad you got them working

Reactions: Yusuf Ali
They work fully normal when the car is on, when the ignition is off the lights seem dim, would that be due to that voltage adjuster too then maybe?
No idea to be honest. You could try adjusting to test.