Pre-facelift S3 brake pad wear sensors or not?

comdw

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just about to buy some Pagid pads from eurocarparts for my W-reg pre-facelift S3. They list two sets, one says "VIN To 8L-X-200000, excl wear warning contact", the other says "VIN From 8L-Y-000001, with integrated wear sensor".

I assume I should go for the former based on the reg, does it follow that pre-facelift cars like mine don't have the wear sensor? Also the ones with the wear sensor are cheaper for some reason, maybe a supply/demand thing I guess.

They ones with the wear sensor won't actually include the wear sensor, but they will be cheaper because there is a wear sensor shaped hole missing where you should have braking meat!

I am 99% sure your car does NOT have wear sensors.

I suggest you whip a wheel off and check to be sure, however I wasn't aware of pre facelift S3's having wear sensors.

The sensor pads look like this, I would say jack him up and get the wheel off with it on full lock and check for the wires.

wheel137-WearSensor.jpg

My 1999 APY S3 definately DOES have wear sensors, so I'd suggest checking before buying. I know it had them because when I fitted the DS2500's I had to short the contacts to prevent the dash light coming on as DS2500 pads dont have the option.

Last edited:
Hmm, mine is APY. Pads apparently 90% warn and yet no warning on the DIS... but guess I better check afterall.

hehe well in that case I've got another couple of years left on mine.